BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IsaanAussie

Pigs 101 (A Start)

WS,

Yours is a valuable story for anyone thinking of seriously investing in the pig industry here. As in any industry, often circumstances will stop the best of plans and personal application dead in their tracks. Those of us in pig farming here have had a rare opportunity to get a good return for 9 or ten months, some did, RBH for instance. I am just one of the struggle town guys I'm afraid but already ready to learn and adjust.

Good luck in your current activities. Hang tough.

IA

Hi have been off the air for a while

I was in touch in january but been v busy and a few trips to uk have taken up time

i got my pig thing up and running but have just been flooded and had to move pigs (90 odd )three times a night mare but we dint lose any PIGS BUT LOST ALL FISH

I am interested to know if any body has made bacon? What do you use for cure and does anybody know of sausage presevative available here/

Hi TO ONE AND ALLi have been off the air for a while

I was in touch in january when trying to start up but have been v busy and had to make a few trips to uk which have taken up time

i got my pig/fish thing up and running and going really well but have just been flooded. It was a real two month setback and we had to move pigs (90 odd )three times building temporary bush pens ,a night mare, but we didnt lose any pigs but lost all of our fish. cat fish. tilapia and carp

I am interested to know if any body has made bacon? What do you use for cure and does anybody know of sausage presevative available here/

post-120887-0-75242200-1321280222_thumb.

post-120887-0-25277100-1321280275_thumb.

Two questions for Fruity or others who know more about Betagro.

1) My betagro dealer has a new poster on the wall where the weights you have to start the different food types on are different then the ones in his folders. Acoording to him this is the 'new' food. The bags he sells are still 'old food' (the weights on the bags are the same as in the folder). Is the Betagro food changing? (normal green bags).

2) I am still confused by the 3 types of 301. According to my dealer I have to mix the first 2 ones 60%-40%. and one pig eats 20kg from the first and 10 kg from the second. after this they start eating the third 301 (301B). Should I start them on 301B when they are 15kg? and use the mix of the other 301s until 15 kg? (afetr they have eaten 5kg of 300).

Revar

Hello mate, the new Betagro food is called Balance,and comes in purple sacks.the numbers are different, BA951 , BA 951 L ,BA 952 ,BA 953 ,BA954; BA 955 it is a little more expensive,i have just started to give this a try with 20 piglets,,the rest of my pigs are fed on JoJo feed,i am waiting for the results of the new Betagro Balance.good luck

Ian.

1) My betagro dealer has a new poster on the wall where the weights you have to start the different food types on are different then the ones in his folders. Acoording to him this is the 'new' food. The bags he sells are still 'old food' (the weights on the bags are the same as in the folder). Is the Betagro food changing? (normal green bags).

2) I am still confused by the 3 types of 301. According to my dealer I have to mix the first 2 ones 60%-40%. and one pig eats 20kg from the first and 10 kg from the second. after this they start eating the third 301 (301B). Should I start them on 301B when they are 15kg? and use the mix of the other 301s until 15 kg? (afetr they have eaten 5kg of 300).

Revar

Hello mate, the new Betagro food is called Balance,and comes in purple sacks.the numbers are different, BA951 , BA 951 L ,BA 952 ,BA 953 ,BA954; BA 955 it is a little more expensive,i have just started to give this a try with 20 piglets,,the rest of my pigs are fed on JoJo feed,i am waiting for the results of the new Betagro Balance.good luck

Ian.

That confuses me.

coincidentally, I am the Betagro dealer for my area, but to my knowledge, Balance feed is on the market for more than 5 years already.

As to the three kinds of 301 feed:

- 301 is for pigs weighing 10-25kg (grain size 3mm, Protein 20%)

- 301 L is for pigs weighing 15-30kg (grain size 3mm, Protein 20%)

- 301 B is for pigs weighing 15-30kg (grain size 4mm, Protein 18%)

So what is the trick ?

Basically, a breeder can feed his pigs in many ways. For my herd at home, I choose 301 until 10kg, 301 L until 20kg and 301 B until 40kg.

This ensures that the average weight of the herd reaches 100kg after 4 months and 10 days.

However, some customers at my store choose to omit 301 L, some others feed 301 B until 60kg.

Generally, 301 and 301 L are the same, but 301 comes with some additional "medicine". I once tried to omit 301 and yes, the whole herd showed indeed signs of diarrhea for about 3 days.

Furthermore, during the first 6 weeks of a pig's life, it is crucial to add as much protein as possible, because during this time, added weight will be red meat.

This contrasts to a more grown up pig, which tends to ad weight in form of fat.

According to a Betagro representative, there are two ways of feeding pigs: The cheap way (feed according to what is written on the sack) and the "professional way" (stretch 301 B until 60kg, 302 until 90kg and switch to 303 just a few days before slaughtering.

This should ensure the the pig won't be fatty and grows up fast. However, I have yet to try this.

This ensures that the average weight of the herd reaches 100kg after 4 months and 10 days.

Is it really possible to have an average on 130 days? We use to have an average around 150 days on our farm (open wall building). Some reach 100kg in about 130 days but the average is still around 150. Are you raising all piglets from the litter or just the healthiest of them?

Sorry for the confusion which arose.

When I stated "4 months, 10 days", I didn't include the 28 days the piglets stay with their mother.

According to a spreadsheet issued by Betagro, a pig should be ready to be slaughtered after 170 days, but we managed to get them ready after just 158 days.

Delivered a hamper to my wholesaler today, drove 200km to & fro, good news...Price is @ ฿58/kg, next stop ฿63/kg...coming very soon ( price quoted is Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai Region only)

:)

RBH... jub jub~*

Revar

Ian.

That confuses me.

coincidentally, I am the Betagro dealer for my area, but to my knowledge, Balance feed is on the market for more than 5 years already.

As to the three kinds of 301 feed:

- 301 is for pigs weighing 10-25kg (grain size 3mm, Protein 20%)

- 301 L is for pigs weighing 15-30kg (grain size 3mm, Protein 20%)

- 301 B is for pigs weighing 15-30kg (grain size 4mm, Protein 18%)

So what is the trick ?

Basically, a breeder can feed his pigs in many ways. For my herd at home, I choose 301 until 10kg, 301 L until 20kg and 301 B until 40kg.

However, some customers at my store choose to omit 301 L, some others feed 301 B until 60kg.

Generally, 301 and 301 L are the same, but 301 comes with some additional "medicine". I once tried to omit 301 and yes, the whole herd showed indeed signs of diarrhea for about 3 days.

Furthermore, during the first 6 weeks of a pig's life, it is crucial to add as much protein as possible, because during this time, added weight will be red meat.

This contrasts to a more grown up pig, which tends to ad weight in form of fat.

According to a Betagro representative, there are two ways of feeding pigs: The cheap way (feed according to what is written on the sack) and the "professional way" (stretch 301 B until 60kg, 302 until 90kg and switch to 303 just a few days before slaughtering.

This should ensure the the pig won't be fatty and grows up fast. However, I have yet to try this.

Thanks for your very clear answer,

I fed mine on 300 until approx 8-10 kg and then switched to a mix of 60% 301 eand 30% 301-L., They are between 13 and 16 kg now and I will now switch to 301-L only until they are 25 kg, after whcih I'll switch to 301-B.

One of the tynhings which confused me is the amount of bags a pig eats according to the flyers and poster from Betagro. Especially since they don't mention the 300. Since I feed them 5 kg of 300 each they tend to hot 15 kg with a lot less of 301.

Revar

Delivered a hamper to my wholesaler today, drove 200km to & fro, good news...Price is @ ฿58/kg, next stop ฿63/kg...coming very soon ( price quoted is Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai Region only)

:)

RBH... jub jub~*

good to hear this news from you RBH :) last week in Surin 52 baht, this week 55 baht,but could not get more than that,but the 3 sharks were very keen to buy,,roll on the next couple of weeks :rolleyes:,when my next batch will be ready.:D

good to hear this news from you RBH :) last week in Surin 52 baht, this week 55 baht,but could not get more than that,but the 3 sharks were very keen to buy,,roll on the next couple of weeks :rolleyes:,when my next batch will be ready.:D

I think the price is closer to 60 right now. I just got a batch of 30 sows with a price of 62 Bath/Kg.

Here in Phayao the price is still at 56 Baht/kg...and I'm having trouble to find a buyer for 15 pigs (ready to be slaughtered) belonging to a customer of my store.

I called a few wholesalers but they said they could not buy because they have more than enough pigs.

I suspect there's an oversupply of pigs in the market ?

Maybe...because when the bubble brust, those who jump on the wagon at 70-72/kg are stuck now.:ermm:

Those who analyze the market pattern and forcast ahead are the people in the clear. :)

The piglets are realy growing. I think I can see them getting larger every day. Although there are still two groups all of them are getting bigger. When I come with the bananas they recognize me and get crazy. This is helpfull for those who do not run to me are probable sick. One of them did not come today and sure enough, swonllen eyelids. a little amoxyl should take care of the infection. I also gave a vitamin B complex injection, which should stimulate his appatite. My two 'runts' are staying behind the rest but are putting on weight. I am being carefull to ensure they gettheir share of the vtamin enriged (c-tonic) bananas.

Prices here have dropped to 45 bath a kg so I am happy I have sold the big ones.

Revar

You don't know me, not posted as away from LOS for other reasons. In the 4 or so years of little experience a shot of oxycontin is the wonder drug.

Banana's are filling your pigs stomach with a, giving a product which does little and b, fills the pig up so doesn't eat your growing food so sorry bananas do little except fill your sty with sh1t.

45 kg is too low be aware of those cunning dealers find one that is fair and deals with plenty of live stock. These that buy 3 pigs a week try every trick in the book i.e. bring back a cut of meat with fat on it, pigs should have a layer of fat but try and tell that to a man who is trying to sell a pig every two days and all he wants is red meat.

Good luck for the future and I don't mean to offend, just offer advice. :) I am back in LOS and have been for 4 months my GF bought a sow and it's first litter was 13 piglets. We have three pregnant sows and running out of room but hopefully produced piglets at the right time for the general price fluctuations. You sound like you are enjoying it and that.s the whole point oh and make the "family" a bit of cash.