Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

Just now, jompa67 said:

100 kg pigs in Korat is 62 bath/kg (sold 30 in the beginning of the week direct to butcher).

It is all about your pigs. If they are fat or the meat is not red enough, you will get lower price.

If you go through a middleman, you will lose 3 - 5 bath/kg.

Thanks I buy sm pig food not direct from them but through a middleman and they saying it's 56 baht now 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experience from food sells men is that they do side businesses. They use company channels to sell your pigs as promised but at a lower price than it should be so they can make there cut.

Our feed dealer here in phimai (80km north of Korat) buy back at 59 bath/kg. Time for you to find yourself a new feed dealer.

My experience from food sells men is that they do side businesses. They use company channels to sell your pigs as promised but at a lower price than it should be so they can make there cut.

Our feed dealer here in phimai (80km north of Korat) buy back at 59 bath/kg. Time for you to find yourself a new feed dealer.
We are half way between Udon Thani and Nong Khai so have buyers from both cities. Sold 15 pigs about 2 weeks ago to NK buyer at 58 baht. The Udon guy is usually about 2 baht lower I use him when I have less than 10 pigs to move and want/need to move undersized pigs.

Not sure what price is ATM.

Sent from my SMART 4G MAX 5.0 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Quick question... does anyone have a source for pig flooring, or livestock flooring. I've struck out on Google, so thought I'd ask here. We are up in the Chiang Rai area and looking for a way to get some of the pigs off the concrete (it is to pitted and very difficult to clean). 

The cheapest way to do it is to resurface the existing floor. Pig equipment suppliers sell plastic and concrete panels which you need to build a frame to support or you could get a steel mesh floor. Raising the floor will not make cleaning the material falling through onto the concrete any easier though, in fact much harder.

Can anyone tell me where I can source mycoplasma vaccine.

Having a hell of a time trying to find any in Thailand. Boehringer Ingleheim have a great range of vaccines but when I contacted their agent in Bangkok I was told they don't deal in swine vaccines.
Go figure.

Appreciate any help I can get.

14 hours ago, jompa67 said:

Use this 3 in one: http://www.mgpharma.co.th/index.php/en/3flex

Cost about 6 - 6500 bath for 50 doses. Very expensive in Thailand compare to USA where you can find same vaccine for 120 USD/50 doses.

Thanks IA, my goodness that is expensive.  130 baht a shot.  ok for sows but almost cost prohibitive on growers. 

As I have stated before, I didn't immunise my pigs after starting using prebiotic treatment through the water and didnt have one sick pig. But mine was a closed herd in an area of few pig farms so the chances of major disease issues was remote. The triple disease coverage suggested here brings the cost per pig per disease to manageable levels if you are at risk. Whatever, with costs and prices the way they are, good luck is not going to help. Pig farming is a low margin high cost game now. 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, jompa67 said:

Just to clarify. It is 3 vaccine in one shot. PRRS, Circo, Mycoplasma. You will need FMD as well as CSF. All together use to cost about 200/piglet. With 3 in 1 shot, you will get down to 150-160.

I guess this is true.  The cost of disease going through the herd can be horrendous.  Even the pigs not terribly affected will have stunted growth.  I have recently been through this.  That reminds me, I have to get back on to the FMD.  Last year when we were selling pigs at cost and below cost I started to cut back on everything.

Unfortunately, there are several small and 2 large farms not far from us and worse still many are friends with FIL and frequently visit the farm. Whilst they are aware they are not to go wandering through the sheds as they used to do they are still o the property.  My biosecurity has a long way to go. 

IA, I totally agree about using probiotics. I used to be very consistent with it but let it fall away over the last 12 months.  But back to using it again in drinking water and for cleaning down rooms prior to introducing a new batch.  This is not a quick fix but a useful longer term action to improve general health.  Interesting article in pigs333 today.  https://www.pig333.com/articles/time-to-rethink-the-use-of-probiotics-in-post-weaning-piglets_13966/

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, IsaanAussie said:

Pig farming is a low margin high cost game now

It surely is.  when I first got into this we were getting 68-75 baht.  Last year was a killer. I let one batch go at 36 baht just to get some cash to pay for feed...

Nutterz64, understand your position completely. Really hard to know what to do. The probiotic issue is a good one with lots of products coming onto the market and claims of replacing antibiotics etc.. Personally I hold the view, as expressed in the article today, probiotics are a perventive measure, something that builds up natural health and immunity levels over time. Not a cure all. Hang tough my friend, the prices must rise soon.

on the vaccine, the farm uses fmd and sfv,over the past 2 years at the same time (sows/gilts) and ad (rabies) have min 30/40 days between vaccines. 2 or 3 times per year. the difference in price between say zoetis or novartis vs stuff from china will be alot....

for the past few months we have been warned about this african fever virus, it is about.... i even read about an out break in belguim the other day..... closed farm ie no visitors and up the bio secuirity is a must me thinks. boot and truck ect ect wash must be done all the time...

the wife has some friends that are currently and others soon to start that will be contracting finishing for thai foods. they have been slowly moving up country from bangkok.  the contracts they offer have twists to the normal set up. they can and do act as the bank for the farmer, ie finance new build re models ect.... but also offer the deal of you buy the feed/piglet and see what what you can do? friend is moving his production over to them soon,  (2100 finishers) his deal is 62 baht kg sell back price, min weight 80kg max 105kg (time frame is loose and also the amount of feed bought 5555) he says the feed and delivery is a very good wholesale price (did not say how much per bag /grade) for the past few years he works at 5 bags from 5kg to 100kg with under 3 percent loss/reject.... his farms are a very high standard. some other people that we know who have moved over to this new company are not doing well because they use to much feed/ time to get the pigs to weight, they work on the normal contract of company surplies all then deducts feed ect cost at the end. they tend to work nearer the 6 bags to 100kg and higher death/rejects....

2 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

for the past few years he works at 5 bags from 5kg to 100kg

that is extraordinary.   wish I could duplicate this. only 150kg of food to gain 95kg.  very profitable indeed. I'm about 210kg and thought that was ok.  love to know how many bags/grade he is giving them. 

I friend of mine who has been doing this for about 9 years has changed his feed program and only giving #2 feed and #4. Says he has seen no difference in growth rates but saving considerable money.  I am still pretty much following the feed company guide lines but still making onsite decisions based and growth and body score.

that is extraordinary.   wish I could duplicate this. only 150kg of food to gain 95kg.  very profitable indeed. I'm about 210kg and thought that was ok.  love to know how many bags/grade he is giving them. 
I friend of mine who has been doing this for about 9 years has changed his feed program and only giving #2 feed and #4. Says he has seen no difference in growth rates but saving considerable money.  I am still pretty much following the feed company guide lines but still making onsite decisions based and growth and body score.
You need about 7 pack to 95kg. No magic here. Even if you give more protein you still need about 7 pack.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, nutterz64 said:

i have never finished a pig or been around a complet  time cycle at a farm,  but from time to time over the years have talked to people that control 20/30 farms (company vets) to the head guy in bkk that has been in the pig business 30 plus years. 

last year a vet was at the wifes farm with some other vet and was moaning about the standard of some farms, all farm are 700 head starting, his main moan was the feed being used, company  high standard would be 3500 bags. but alot of farms would use  between 4200/4500 and still not get enough pigs past 90kg. (alot of farms will sell feed out the back door to make bits of money daily...) guy that i mentioned above with a 5 bag standard tells me he thinks he can do it for a little under 5 bags when he buys his own feed in, time will tell. you also have to think about how many pigs will die,6 or 7 percent is not alot,i have heard of people lossing over 10 percent per cycle. 

for me if you can birth say a 1.6/2kg piglet that can then be feed independant from day 15 at 6 plus kg the weight should come on quick if the environment and feed are good.

a basic price on the finish pigs from what i can make out should be (depending on feed buying in cost/conversion) 5 baht profit on each kg gained. basic to good standard?  5kg to 100kg.

the guy with the 2100 herd numbers come out some where around 7 baht per kg  but with this new firm is his going with maybe 8/9 baht kg but he has more risk as is buying in piglet and feed for himself, so also stands to loose more if things do not go to plan.....

again i have never finished a pig so for sure i dont know, just going on what im told/hear.

Im the same 7 bags to 100 kg sometimes a bit less but not much and sometimes a bit more.  I've checked if you can get 2.1 conversion rate that's very good

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm just about to introduce CSF vaccine to my farm for the first time and have some questions.

1). Is there a risk that by progressively rolling out the vaccine that I could infect other non vaccinated pigs?

2). When is it safe to vaccinate the sows? Does it matter if they ate pregnant?

The reason I am asking here is because I am having difficulty find concise and consistent answers on Google. I have bought live attenuated cell culture vaccine.

No instructions came with it.

Cheers

Hi all, I'm just about to introduce CSF vaccine to my farm for the first time and have some questions.

1). Is there a risk that by progressively rolling out the vaccine that I could infect other non vaccinated pigs?

2). When is it safe to vaccinate the sows? Does it matter if they ate pregnant?

The reason I am asking here is because I am having difficulty find concise and consistent answers on Google. I have bought live attenuated cell culture vaccine.

No instructions came with it.

Cheers

for me the main "thing" with vaccines is the dose vs dilutant. for the past year or so we have been doing swine fever and foot and mouth at the same time, 2cc of each but i dont the amount of vaccine to dilutant.....

when we do a vaccine we do all the pigs in the farm at one time (so not to forget any) just weaned to farrow the next day.... in the past we have seen 2 or 3 percent abortions just after vaccine, on the abortion paper work it also noted when and what vaccine was last used, so it must be a common problem? for the past 2 or so years we have had not problems with the vaccine, ie no abortion or mummified that we can say was the result of the vaccine. to me that means they have the timing (not to quick from last vaccine program) and the dose right... after vaccine we do not shower/clean or let the animals play in water for 3 days.

maybe try and find a "vet" that can give advice? to me the dose amount is very important, its like us getting a jab to go abroad, so times you dont notice a thing then another time you feel like sh/t...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived