Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

1 hour ago, nutterz64 said:

that is extraordinary.   wish I could duplicate this. only 150kg of food to gain 95kg.  very profitable indeed. I'm about 210kg and thought that was ok.  love to know how many bags/grade he is giving them. 

I friend of mine who has been doing this for about 9 years has changed his feed program and only giving #2 feed and #4. Says he has seen no difference in growth rates but saving considerable money.  I am still pretty much following the feed company guide lines but still making onsite decisions based and growth and body score.

i have never finished a pig or been around a complet  time cycle at a farm,  but from time to time over the years have talked to people that control 20/30 farms (company vets) to the head guy in bkk that has been in the pig business 30 plus years. 

last year a vet was at the wifes farm with some other vet and was moaning about the standard of some farms, all farm are 700 head starting, his main moan was the feed being used, company  high standard would be 3500 bags. but alot of farms would use  between 4200/4500 and still not get enough pigs past 90kg. (alot of farms will sell feed out the back door to make bits of money daily...) guy that i mentioned above with a 5 bag standard tells me he thinks he can do it for a little under 5 bags when he buys his own feed in, time will tell. you also have to think about how many pigs will die,6 or 7 percent is not alot,i have heard of people lossing over 10 percent per cycle. 

for me if you can birth say a 1.6/2kg piglet that can then be feed independant from day 15 at 6 plus kg the weight should come on quick if the environment and feed are good.

a basic price on the finish pigs from what i can make out should be (depending on feed buying in cost/conversion) 5 baht profit on each kg gained. basic to good standard?  5kg to 100kg.

the guy with the 2100 herd numbers come out some where around 7 baht per kg  but with this new firm is his going with maybe 8/9 baht kg but he has more risk as is buying in piglet and feed for himself, so also stands to loose more if things do not go to plan.....

again i have never finished a pig so for sure i dont know, just going on what im told/hear.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that is extraordinary.   wish I could duplicate this. only 150kg of food to gain 95kg.  very profitable indeed. I'm about 210kg and thought that was ok.  love to know how many bags/grade he is giving them. 

I friend of mine who has been doing this for about 9 years has changed his feed program and only giving #2 feed and #4. Says he has seen no difference in growth rates but saving considerable money.  I am still pretty much following the feed company guide lines but still making onsite decisions based and growth and body score.

Im the same 7 bags to 100 kg sometimes a bit less but not much and sometimes a bit more.  I've checked if you can get 2.1 conversion rate that's very good

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm just about to introduce CSF vaccine to my farm for the first time and have some questions.

1). Is there a risk that by progressively rolling out the vaccine that I could infect other non vaccinated pigs?

2). When is it safe to vaccinate the sows? Does it matter if they ate pregnant?

The reason I am asking here is because I am having difficulty find concise and consistent answers on Google. I have bought live attenuated cell culture vaccine.

No instructions came with it.

Cheers

Sent from my SMART 4G MAX 5.0 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi all, I'm just about to introduce CSF vaccine to my farm for the first time and have some questions.

1). Is there a risk that by progressively rolling out the vaccine that I could infect other non vaccinated pigs?

2). When is it safe to vaccinate the sows? Does it matter if they ate pregnant?

The reason I am asking here is because I am having difficulty find concise and consistent answers on Google. I have bought live attenuated cell culture vaccine.

No instructions came with it.

Cheers

Sent from my SMART 4G MAX 5.0 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

for me the main "thing" with vaccines is the dose vs dilutant. for the past year or so we have been doing swine fever and foot and mouth at the same time, 2cc of each but i dont the amount of vaccine to dilutant.....

when we do a vaccine we do all the pigs in the farm at one time (so not to forget any) just weaned to farrow the next day.... in the past we have seen 2 or 3 percent abortions just after vaccine, on the abortion paper work it also noted when and what vaccine was last used, so it must be a common problem? for the past 2 or so years we have had not problems with the vaccine, ie no abortion or mummified that we can say was the result of the vaccine. to me that means they have the timing (not to quick from last vaccine program) and the dose right... after vaccine we do not shower/clean or let the animals play in water for 3 days.

maybe try and find a "vet" that can give advice? to me the dose amount is very important, its like us getting a jab to go abroad, so times you dont notice a thing then another time you feel like sh/t...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived