Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

Hey guys,has anyone got any prices to share we have 30 that are ready for selling and when the wife got in contact with 2 buyers they have offered between 48/50 bht we cannot produce for this price,has anyone sold in the past 2 days.

Another question we were using Betagro balance but have switched to using Select food does anyone have comments about this food,our pigs seem to be doing well on it or so i am told !! as still working overseas,and does anyone one were to buy CTC in Udonthani the wife has asked at the local feed supplier but they have never heard tell of it!!

Many thanks,

sam

Is it injection of CTC u need or is it for mixing in feed?

If it is injection then u should look for OTC instead, because it is very common in

Thailand (stronger than CTC). Just ask around in places that sell animal stuff. If they don't have it,maybe they know where u can find it.

We use to buy from a company called 'InterFeed Tech'. I don't have the number where im now but u can dial 1113 and ask for it. Its a number service. They use to have CTC for feed mix. Around 90 bath/Kg, and are sold in 20kg bags.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, back online,

These are the latest regional prices I got (23 Jan)

Price:

http://www.swinethailand.or.th/index.php

Ratchaburi 51.00 (-6)

Nakhon Pathom 54.00 (-3)

Chachoengsao 54.00 (-3)

Chonburi 54.00 (-3)

Northeast 52.50 (-4.5)

Mai 61.00 (-3)

Sriracha 54.00 (-3)

Surat Thani 56.00 (-2)

Songkhla 56.00 (-2)

piglets 1,700.00 +-56.00

While there are people prepared to sell pigs at the low prices there will be no increases. Even CP prices have dropped. Obviously it is those with market pigs raised post August last year that now have the issue of sell or continue feeding. Remember prices were at 80 baht back then. I think things will normal over the next month or so, but right now the CP prices are still going down.

Time for some tough decisions guys.

I was drunk and my study room got burn down by accident (plug in the wrong hole and causes faulty electrical short circuit, breaker works but socket still burns dry.png ), all my charts are gone...oh well~ never mind...got it repair and repainted the walls. Still waiting for the big boys to give the go-ahead to raise piggies. coffee1.gif

By the way...anybody sold their stocks between the lead up to New year and Chinese New year period, should have hit & ran when the period price was up (if you can get a queue)...

Hello,

My wive has 6 sows, and only breed with them.

Now the last few days we have a lot of fly's.

Yesterday morning she put a fly killing product on the ground (not around the sows offcourse), and at evening the ground was black off dead fly's.

Does anybody have a solution to solve this problem around the sows because I see that they have also problems with it.

Thx.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, back online,

These are the latest regional prices I got (23 Jan)

Price:

http://www.swinethai...or.th/index.php

Ratchaburi 51.00 (-6)

Nakhon Pathom 54.00 (-3)

Chachoengsao 54.00 (-3)

Chonburi 54.00 (-3)

Northeast 52.50 (-4.5)

Mai 61.00 (-3)

Sriracha 54.00 (-3)

Surat Thani 56.00 (-2)

Songkhla 56.00 (-2)

piglets 1,700.00 +-56.00

It seems the kg price has dropped again! In our area they are only offering 48 baht

The current price is a mystery to me as well. I have a market niche and currently only sell a few market size pigs. Yesterday I sold a 116 Kg barrow for 65 baht a Kg. Locals here bought a pig for a wedding and paid 51 baht. I hasten to add that they didnt get it from me.

All I can say is the normal channels for local sale aren't profitable. Even breeding my own piglets is not profitable at much below 60 baht level, better to sell the piglets keeping only potential replacement gilts. Big farms are still wanting 8,000 baht for a breeding ready female.

One thing to remember is that the heavier the pigs get over the 100kg mark the harder they are to sell. It is a tough decision to make but often you may just have to cut and run getting back as much as possible.

I have started brewing a new microbe soup with the help of the Health Department and a few large pig farms. This gets dosed into the pigs drinking water at 1 in 1000 and supplying bacterial which enhances the pigs digestion and removes the smell of the manure. It can also be used to produce organic fertiliser. Bit expensive to establish but is self regenerating. My setup consists of two 200 litre brewing tanks.

March 7, 2012

Price of pigs

Ratchaburi 49.00 (+ 0.5)

Nakhon Pathom 50.50 (0)

Chachoengsao 50.50 (0)

Chonburi 50.50 (0)

Northeast 52.00 (0)

Chiang Mai 60.00 (0)

Sriracha 50.50 (0)

Surat Thani 48.00 (-2)

Songkhla 48.00 (-2)

Piglets 1, 300.00 +-48.00

Great topic IA and other posters iv'e just finished reading it from the start and it'e been very interesting . As now my inlaws are getting into the pig scene aswell or at least into the rearing stage from piglets to 4 month old and i just wanted to know a little bit of info. Their just starting small and if all goes well i hope to get involved and increase the size to help the rest of the inlaws out . Keep up the good work to all you guys greta thread

post-126029-0-30056800-1331380786_thumb.

March 7, 2012

Price of pigs

Ratchaburi 49.00 (+ 0.5)

Nakhon Pathom 50.50 (0)

Chachoengsao 50.50 (0)

Chonburi 50.50 (0)

Northeast 52.00 (0)

Chiang Mai 60.00 (0)

Sriracha 50.50 (0)

Surat Thani 48.00 (-2)

Songkhla 48.00 (-2)

Piglets 1, 300.00 +-48.00

Looking like most of us are heading toward a financial loss in the near furure if the prices stay at these levels.

Yes, the current prices are below cost of production for most people and remains a mystery to me. Given the Ag giants are getting out of pig farming might explain most of it but even that seems strange. As the big guys are also in the feed business and that is a way to reduce your costs, surely more people will turn to mixing their own feeds. I have started making a nano EM which improves FCR and reduces smell and am hopeful that I can start using raw materials to produce my own feed. A way off yet but now looking more possible.

An old Italian friend of many years ago, described the hard times he was going through as tightening his belt to the Mussoulini hole. Buckle up boys.

Take a minute to check out your own numbers on cost of production. Heres mine as a guide:

Cost of piglets. Based on my breeding stock numbers that have to be cared for and costs absorbed, currently every weaned piglet costs me 1500 baht on average. Todays national average price for weaned piglets remains at 1300 baht +/- 48 baht per Kg.

Feed costs. I use a 5 step feed system from weaning to 100 kg. For creep feed I use starter with milk powder added to boost the protein and help gut development, as well as save considerable money per bag instead of using a creep formulation. In summary each pig average an FCR of 2.65 at market weight, which mean they eat 265 kg of feed during raising at an average cost of 13 baht per kg. 3,445 baht per pig.

With most of the country now holding a 50.5 baht per kg live weight price, a 100 kg pig returns 5,050 baht. So with no other costs included I would be making 105 baht per head for every pig I raise out to market weight. If I bought the piglets that would improve to 305 baht.

Interested in anyone elses comparision.

I have following cost:

* Gestration feed 3600 Bath/Sow

* Lactation feed 2600 Bath/Sow

* Medicine 400 Bath

* Insemination 400 Bath

Total 7000 Bath divided on 10 piglets = 700 bath/piglet (4 week old piglet).

Add another 400 bath for raising them up to 16kg.

Labor and electricity are not included.

I have following cost:

* Gestration feed 3600 Bath/Sow

* Lactation feed 2600 Bath/Sow

* Medicine 400 Bath

* Insemination 400 Bath

Total 7000 Bath divided on 10 piglets = 700 bath/piglet (4 week old piglet).

Add another 400 bath for raising them up to 16kg.

Labor and electricity are not included.

Good numbers, I agree the detail numbers are close to my own, but at the moment my productivity is not good. Lost a litter and a few returns means the average survival rate per sow is way down. I am also carrying three boars at the moment as an additional cost.

However congratulations on your average of 10 per litter, that is above industry average as far as I know.

It is not always 10. It more like 9,5 - 10+, from month to month.

Right now,we try a COLOSTRUM SUBSTITUTE to increase immune system and to get more healthy piglets (first 2 days). This is very important if u got a large group or sow got problem after farrowing. We also use milk that contains 50% lactose and 20% protein (10 days). We only use this milk as a supplement depending on sow condition after farrowing. More milk if sow r in bad condition. This will end up in a litter that has a uniform size at the weaning.

Right now,we try a COLOSTRUM SUBSTITUTE to increase immune system and to get more healthy piglets (first 2 days). This is very important if u got a large group or sow got problem after farrowing. We also use milk that contains 50% lactose and 20% protein (10 days). We only use this milk as a supplement depending on sow condition after farrowing. More milk if sow r in bad condition. This will end up in a litter that has a uniform size at the weaning.

Weaning statistics for last two months:

February: 104 piglets on 8 sows = 13.0 piglets weaned.

Mars: 62 piglets on 5 sows = 12.4 piglets weaned.

April: Is going to be a terrible month with 2 dead sow at the farrowing and another 2 sow that lost all piglets within 3 days.

Weaning statistics for last two months:

February: 104 piglets on 8 sows = 13.0 piglets weaned.

Mars: 62 piglets on 5 sows = 12.4 piglets weaned.

April: Is going to be a terrible month with 2 dead sow at the farrowing and another 2 sow that lost all piglets within 3 days.

Jompa,

I am sorry to hear of your recent losses but as you know this business is fickled. I rely of averages across the herd. But to loose two sows at farrowing and two litters following that, that is a serious hit and it must be hard to swallow. Sincerely, I feel for you.

Console yourself with the fact that you are doing all you can. Sh1t happens to us all, such is life. If I can help please send me a PM and we can talk.

To the followers of this topic, the net effect is two valuable assets are dead. Even an average bred sow is worth over 10K, But the real impact is a net year of sow costs have vapourised. Each sow eats over 1 ton of feed per year and requires some medical invention so will cost 15 to 20k A YEAR. Another 25K in lost piglets. This is a serious loss in the current market where the cost of production is barely being recovered. If you just ripped up 60 to 70K then you can understand.

IsaanAussie

Just a heads up from todays Newspaper items ...

Pork price likely to go up next week

BANGKOK, 31 March 2012 (NNT) – Consumers will soon have to spend more on food again, as pork raisers will be allowed to raise the pork price.

According to Internal Trade Department Director-General Watcharee Wimuktayon, the newly-appointed committee tasked with overseeing the pork pricing system will call a meeting next week and pork price adjustment is likely to be a topic of discussion.

Mrs. Watcharee explained that pork price rise should help relieve financial burdens of pig raisers, particularly the small ones who have to shoulder losses. Live pigs are sold for THB55 per kilo even if the cost of raising a pig is estimated at THB62 baht per kilo. At some markets, a kilo of pork is offered at THB120-130 despite the fact that the control price is between THB 105 and 110.

In its medium-term solutions, the Internal Trade Department is seeking an allocation of THB1.5 bil in the fiscal 2013 budget to stabilize prices of major agricultural products including pork, palm oil and eggs. The Department may specify the highest and the lowest prices of these staple foods to make sure that both producers and consumers are treated fairly.

In the long run, pig cooperatives will be registered in order to upgrade the farming system. To boost the competitive edge, they will also be urged to turn to a full-cycled farming system so that they can be financially stronger and that the consumers can buy pork at an affordable price.

Just a heads up from todays Newspaper items ...

http://www.thaivisa....ay-31-mar-2012/

Pork price likely to go up next week

BANGKOK, 31 March 2012 (NNT) – Consumers will soon have to spend more on food again, as pork raisers will be allowed to raise the pork price.

According to Internal Trade Department Director-General Watcharee Wimuktayon, the newly-appointed committee tasked with overseeing the pork pricing system will call a meeting next week and pork price adjustment is likely to be a topic of discussion.

Mrs. Watcharee explained that pork price rise should help relieve financial burdens of pig raisers, particularly the small ones who have to shoulder losses. Live pigs are sold for THB55 per kilo even if the cost of raising a pig is estimated at THB62 baht per kilo. At some markets, a kilo of pork is offered at THB120-130 despite the fact that the control price is between THB 105 and 110.

In its medium-term solutions, the Internal Trade Department is seeking an allocation of THB1.5 bil in the fiscal 2013 budget to stabilize prices of major agricultural products including pork, palm oil and eggs. The Department may specify the highest and the lowest prices of these staple foods to make sure that both producers and consumers are treated fairly.

In the long run, pig cooperatives will be registered in order to upgrade the farming system. To boost the competitive edge, they will also be urged to turn to a full-cycled farming system so that they can be financially stronger and that the consumers can buy pork at an affordable price.

Dont ya just love this country? Wonder when CP and Betagro will start selling the farms, because they are planning to do so. Then again it may just be piur coincidence? Muffled fart!

• 4 weeks later...

Just sold 4 gilts @ 66 BHT / Kg. Location Sisaket.

Well at last the market seems to be improving for we humble pig farmers. The price of pork is on the up again as well. Doubt we will see the highs on last year but at least Brabo's return should be above cost of production.

Well this week was not a kind one. I have lost my trusted helper to the whiskey bottle so the last month has been hard work. I had a sow approaching farrowing and pigs to rehouse as they grew. That meant I had to convert a nursery pen into a multi-purpose room and install a barrier to create both a creep at the front and a feeder frame and bowl for the sow.

So one up it was all A-holes and elbows in the lead up. The barrier was finished and so was I so all I had to do was move the sow from her communal pen into the new room first thing in the morning.

This sow has produced some good litters in the past but in my haste I forget to check her gestation times and of course, early in the morning was too late. Eight very good and unfortunately very mobile piglets had been crushed by gestation sisters and nearby boars. Of those that perished seven were female and they averaged 1.9 kg, I was left with 3 viable but small females and two runty males.

At times you just cannot help bad luck! Or is that bad management?

Well this week was not a kind one. I have lost my trusted helper to the whiskey bottle so the last month has been hard work. I had a sow approaching farrowing and pigs to rehouse as they grew. That meant I had to convert a nursery pen into a multi-purpose room and install a barrier to create both a creep at the front and a feeder frame and bowl for the sow.

So one up it was all A-holes and elbows in the lead up. The barrier was finished and so was I so all I had to do was move the sow from her communal pen into the new room first thing in the morning.

This sow has produced some good litters in the past but in my haste I forget to check her gestation times and of course, early in the morning was too late. Eight very good and unfortunately very mobile piglets had been crushed by gestation sisters and nearby boars. Of those that perished seven were female and they averaged 1.9 kg, I was left with 3 viable but small females and two runty males.

At times you just cannot help bad luck! Or is that bad management?

Sometimes we are confronted with circumstances that are out of our control, as with you worker hitting the bottle and the increase of your personal work load to offset staff deficiencies compounds the issues. Put this unfortunate loss down to bad luck and cruel timing. I feel for you but it could have been worse! Ian.

Archived