Local Sights

yeoldesage

A bit of friendly advice if you would. Got a couple of old dears (77/87) coming to vist me next month for 3 days, having done the beach (Hua Hin) and Bkk. Would like to impress them with the more serene and cultural Chiang Mai, local hilltribe village, gardens, (no long walks) etc, etc. I know 3 days isn't much but that's all there is, so long journeys would be out. Nights will take care of themselves, shopping, shopping and more shopping etc.

Any specifics?

Many thanks in advance.

Make sure you rent a car so you can drive them around. Do the Doi Suthep-thing, which means a lot more than just the temple. Go way up in the forest there, stop at the waterfalls (not necessarily including the one that charges an admission fee)

Do the Mae Sa Valley Loop.. Nice scenery and some things to do along the way. (Perhaps not the Bungee jumping though? :o )

Check out www.chiangdao.com .. Great elephant center there and basic but nice accommodation at Chiang Dao Nest.

There's lots more of course... Most importantly, go buy Oliver Hargreave's book "Chiang Mai City, Valley & Mountains". It's brilliant, good trip ideas, loads of background and it makes for a nice souvenir as well. (Hm, I should ask for a sales commission. :-D )

(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9622177174/qid=1121995982/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8266658-0175328?v=glance&s=books )

Cheers,

Chanchao

Many thanks guys for your suggestions all of them seem to fit the bill. I did have the Bungy Jump penciled in but you're probably right chanchao, maybe a bit over the top :D

I seem to remember when I first came to CM I visted some scenic gardens with streams and small waterfalls and a nice restaurant, which didn't involve much walking or climbing any ideas?

Bggg which resaurant has the nicest situation for the Kantoke dinner and do you think I need to book?

What about Simons Cabaret do you think that would strain ye olde tickers too much :o

Again, thanks for your help

Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens out past Mae Rim towards Mae Sa. Stop at the Mae Sa Elephant Camp too. Used to have a place out there making elephant dung paper - interesting. Umbrellas at Bo Sang always interesting along with Celadon at Ban Celadon.

Old Chiang Mai Cultural Centre for Khantoke dinner.

Orchid farm a must do.