Flood Warning

richard10365

I am not part of the weather department so I can neither confirm or deny this email I just got. If this is not true,....please forgive me. If it is true, please be aware of the impending threat.

Last night there was a huge flood in the maetaman valley - covering alot of the elephant camp grounds.

the last time this happened was 5 years ago - this was followed by flooding in chiang mai.

i have been asked to let people know - to be prepared - just incase of floods

it is expected to happen at 11pm tonight -according to the municipality

another friend called the mayor's office and the municipality confirmed the warnings and said sand bags are being distributed urgently.

please let anyone you know - who might be affected - not just farang alot of Thai friends will not have heard the news.

maybe it will not happen - but..............you can call 053 259320-1

UPDATE:

I just called the number I posted in the OP. They said the danger level is 3.6 meters and the water is expected to reach 3.8 meters tonight. Some areas of the city will flood and the city is already putting up sand bags. 3.8 meters is expected if it does not rain. If it does rain, it can be more.

Usually the Thai Meteorolical Department is on top of these things on their warning page http://www.tmd.go.th...ist_warning.php so if any storms approach this is a good place to check. Keeping my fingers crossed and a closer eye on the radar images. Thanks for the heads up.

They may have missed this one for the last warning they have is for September 22. Hay GF better have your boat on standby.:o

Chiang Mai Mayor Tassanai Buranupakorn issued a flood emergency warning this afternoon, orange alert at Nawarat Bridge. The municipality has begun preparations for floodwaters that could reach 3.7m and 3.8m between 11 PM and midnight. Sandbags are available to the public at Ban Den cemetery near the Gymkhana Club in Nong Hoi.

Was wildly surprised when I called the municipality number and no one answerd, ten minutes later a guy called back and when I asked who it was he told me it was the mayor himself. Very nice, very helpful considering he didn't know my number from Adam's and said that yes, there is a warning, he doesn't expect it to be anywhere near as bad as 2004's but those living by the river had best take precautions. Here is some contact info:

Flood Warning!

The water level of the Ping River is now (2 p.m.) at 3.45 metres according to measurements from the Chiang Mai Traffic Police Office. An official from the municipality said that by midnight it could reach 3.7 metres (peak level is at 3.78 metres). The Maetang River, which converges with the Ping River, has breached its banks, causing widespread flooding in Maetaman Valley.

“After two days’ heavy rainfall in Chiang Mai province, Maetaman Elephant Camp has flooded,” said a member of the camp’s staff. “What this means is that we know that the water will reach Chiang Mai city approximately 11 p.m. tonight (28th September 2010),” confirmed Lord Mayor Tassanai Buranupakorn to Citylife. “We are doing our best to see how we can prevent this, by channelling off water to other waterways and attempting to control the onslaught, but I just want to tell our brothers and sisters who live by the banks of the Ping River to be careful and to remove valuables from areas which could be flooded.” The mayor has asked residents who could be affected to check the municipality web site www.cmcity.go.th regularly or to call 053 234444 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 053 234444 end_of_the_skype_highlighting twenty four hours a day for emergency. The municipality will provide sandbags at their Kawila, Mengrai and Nakornping area offices.

Richard 10365. Thank you for the flood warnings. I heard on television a couple of nights ago that they may have to open the dam gates in Chiang Mai and the Met Office were warning of possible canels overflowing. Do not know if this is true of course

Richard 10365. Thank you for the flood warnings. I heard on television a couple of nights ago that they may have to open the dam gates in Chiang Mai and the Met Office were warning of possible canels overflowing. Do not know if this is true of course

I can verify some canals have overflowed and flooded small areas in Doi Saket and the water in these canals are rising. They come off the Kunag Reservoir. So look out down in San Kampaeng and Lamphun.

I just asked my girlfriend who is in Chiang Mai to phone and make inquiries with the Chiang Mai fire department.

They told her that (6.20pm) the river is up to 3.27, no chance of flooding and not to panic.

But I being in Bangkok at the moment am panicking. Will phone again later tonight.

Mayor announces flood emergency, orange alert at Nawarat Bridge.

The municipality has begun preparations for floodwaters that could peak between 11 PM and midnight. Sandbags are available to the public at Ban Den cemetery near the Gymkhana Club in Nong Hoi.

Chiang Mai Mail reports Chiang Mai Mayor has called a flood emergency as Ping river level continues to rise after floods in Mae Taman valley. River levels are forecast to reach as high as 3.8 m by midnight.

-- Chiangmai Mail 2010-09-28

Photos from 1:45PM today:

On my way back from Chiang Dao this afternoon, just before going into the watershed, I saw the river had flooded large areas.. This is the best photo...MaePingFlood.jpg

Edited by LJW
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for the valuable coverage. And I certainly hope nobody suffers damage or injury.

I'm in the process of moving my family to CM to live permenantly so this is very valuable information for the future.

I have just one item, can someone please share how to check the various areas of CM for the local flooding situation?

Thanks again, this proves, again, how the CM populace has positive and caring attitudes. Great stuff.

Thanks to all for the valuable coverage. And I certainly hope nobody suffers damage or injury.

I'm in the process of moving my family to CM to live permenantly so this is very valuable information for the future.

I have just one item, can someone please share how to check the various areas of CM for the local flooding situation?

Thanks again, this proves, again, how the CM populace has positive and caring attitudes. Great stuff.

Here is one source. http://hydro-1.com/index.php?id=61&rivercode=0602

I believe this is the guy who, when Chiang Mai had its 2006 smoke emergency (300,000 across the north treated for smoke symptoms, 58 deaths) blamed the event on Korean barbecue restaurants - & ordered them shut down.

He subsequently improved on that by ordering fire trucks to spray water all over the roads - to 'wet the air and attract rain'.

So you guys in Chiang Mai at least know you are in good hands.

Keep posted for a mayoral edict to light Korean barbecues across the city, to evaporate the floodwaters.

I think you're getting the most up to the minute status reports right here. The members of this forum are scattered all around CM and you should hear any news on here first as it's happening.:D

Chiang Mai Mayor Tassanai Buranupakorn issued a flood emergency warning this afternoon, orange alert at Nawarat Bridge. The municipality has begun preparations for floodwaters that could reach 3.7m and 3.8m between 11 PM and midnight. Sandbags are available to the public at Ban Den cemetery near the Gymkhana Club in Nong Hoi.

Sandbags, yeah with the last flooding they were also very effective ! (not) Haven't seen one house or street closed by sandbags, that was not completely flooded.

Flooding 2005 seen trought the eye of my camera:

Nightbazar just past Mc Donalds...

cmf1.jpg

4 Locked up ladies from Australia at the Royal Princess hotel, this was their first morning in Chiang Mai...

cmf2x.jpg

Live always goes on...

cmf3.jpg

Edited by bangkokcitylimits
  • Like 1

I suppose that this is a silly question...

In America all areas have what is called a "hundred year" flood map that you can find which shows all areas that "could" be affected, along with maps that show areas that were affected in certain significant floods. Might CM have such a map?

Will be thinking of everyone in Chiangmai - I remember what it was like in 2005 and have hundreds of photos from it.

If anyone has friends that trade in the lower floor of the Night Bazaar, and you can spare a couple of hours, they would probably appreciate help moving their wares to the upper floor.

If you have friends in the Nong Hoy area - give them a call and see if they know what might be happening and offer a hand to move stuff upstairs.

Ditto anywhere along Changklan road from Worarot all the way down to the big bridge crossing the river from the airport road. Additionally, the area on the north side of that highway from the river back to Airport Plaza had some serious but patchy flooding in 2005.

On the East side of the river, it was primarily Nong Hoy that was affected, but the Regional Police Headquarters were under water at the airport road bridge mentioned above, as was the old lepers colony hospital (forgotten it's modern name) just downstream from there.

Hope everyone stays safe and this becomes a false alarm - it took 3-4 days last time for it all to drain away, and the night bazaar was closed for best part of a week. A large part of Worawot (Thapae Road side) was badly hit too.

Story and pictures here (if George will allow it)

That was a previous mayor- I don't recall whom. This mayor is new, but a member of the same family that 'ruled' the city in the past, tho not that of his predecessor who was a lady mayor, and who was 'unelected' on a technicality halfway through her term.

I believe this is the guy who, when Chiang Mai had its 2006 smoke emergency (300,000 across the north treated for smoke symptoms, 58 deaths) blamed the event on Korean barbecue restaurants - & ordered them shut down.

He subsequently improved on that by ordering fire trucks to spray water all over the roads - to 'wet the air and attract rain'.

So you guys in Chiang Mai at least know you are in good hands.

Keep posted for a mayoral edict to light Korean barbecues across the city, to evaporate the floodwaters.

getlost........ re ...... At 9 PM it is slowing down 3.47 M and flow of 400. Looks like its coming to an end.

are you sure ?

wow the river has risen a lot in the 13 hours sinse my last pics and theres TONS of crud coming down with it

i know one person who wont be walking on this bridge after seeing the crud thats stuck around the bridge supports.

pics taken 9 15 tonight

yours truly and staying away from this bridge tomorrow .... dave2

post-42592-065553400 1285690687_thumb.jp

post-42592-083316700 1285690911_thumb.jp

They've already closed this thread http://www.cm108.com/bbb/35195.html after a cpl ppl who were out at about 11pm saw that the water did not crest the banks. The last report is in Kam Meuang, but it's telling everybody to go ahead and go to bed as it's not gonna flood. I won't fully believe it till I see for myself tmw, but I'm betting the Thai eyes on the ground got it right.

• Like 1