Flood Warning

richard10365

Went to have a look at the river here in Chiangdao , it was rising rapidly between 5 and 6.30 hours . Couldnot drive through my normal route cause of flooding .

Still no major problems , this place always gets flooded first every year basically . Well now there will be trouble if it continues raining for another 3 days or so , there has not been any rain since 2 O'clock afternoon , thats the reason me guess why the level is getting down a bit in Chiangmai .

The rain over at Chiangmai is not worriesome , its the waterlevels here in Chiangdao and Maeteng what causes Chiangmai flooding , its not even close compared with 2005 , think its still minor , just hope it stays dry for a couple of days . :jap:

Edited by tijnebijn

I appreciate the rain too.. Bet some of the haters / scaremongers weren't even here in 2005 to witness that the flooding was only very localized near the river and a few low lying areas, and was more of a nuisance to people living in those areas than anything else.

Yet tourism was affected for long after that, with people apparently thinking it was a Katrina-like situation. ;)

I appreciate the rain too.. Bet some of the haters / scaremongers weren't even here in 2005 to witness that the flooding was only very localized near the river and a few low lying areas, and was more of a nuisance to people living in those areas than anything else.

Yet tourism was affected for long after that, with people apparently thinking it was a Katrina-like situation. ;)

I agree that only a fairly small percentage of CM was affected but those people that were so were hit pretty badly, there was a lot of flood damage to businesses and homes - many of us were stranded for a couple of days and the military was delivering food parcels to residents, all slightly more than a mere nuisance.

The bad news is that last night the city of Chiang Mai was completely submerged by the river.

The good news is that now Chiang Mai has become a river resort.

In Chiang Mai, the Yacht Club and the Beach Club Resorts are both located a short walk from the flooded areas. Many consider the pool area (Chiang Mai), with its shipwreck theming, the Taepae road which is now a huge water slide and muddy bottom pool to be the best of any Northern Thailand resort. Boat services now travel directly from Bangkok and Chiang Mai`s theme parks (water taxis are available for transportation to the other parks). Restaurants and entertainment at the Boardwalk are also conveniently close.

Wife & I drove into C.M. from BoSang around 7:00pm last night to attend a wake for the father of one of her co-workers. Approaching Regional Police 5 HQ we saw hundreds of cars/trucks parked along the highway and adjoining soi. My wife said they had come to watch the river flood. She said in 2005 she was living in an apt just 300 meters west of the river and was glad she was on the 3rd floor, because the 1st floor was totally under water. But, on the way home, around 9:30, there were only a few dozen vehicles still there.

Wife & I drove into C.M. from BoSang around 7:00pm last night to attend a wake for the father of one of her co-workers. Approaching Regional Police 5 HQ we saw hundreds of cars/trucks parked along the highway and adjoining soi. My wife said they had come to watch the river flood. She said in 2005 she was living in an apt just 300 meters west of the river and was glad she was on the 3rd floor, because the 1st floor was totally under water. But, on the way home, around 9:30, there were only a few dozen vehicles still there.

I think they have been having a party for 2 nights at HQ 5. Two nights ago it was fireworks and last night Kum Loy. The river potentialy flooding looks to have been coincidental.

Iain

Also, when flooding is expected then people park there cars somewhere higher up. Along the ring road is a good bet.

I agree that only a fairly small percentage of CM was affected but those people that were so were hit pretty badly, there was a lot of flood damage to businesses and homes - many of us were stranded for a couple of days and the military was delivering food parcels to residents, all slightly more than a mere nuisance.

Ok, fair enough. I guess I noticed it less because I lived in Thai style house at the time, on poles. Thoroughly enjoyed having gone native enough to be more Thais than the Thais in typical 'modern' homes around me. I just put the washing machine in the truck and that was that, no worries. ;)

I think they have been having a party for 2 nights at HQ 5. Two nights ago it was fireworks and last night Kum Loy. The river potentialy flooding looks to have been coincidental.

Iain

just becarefull .your comment may be seen by some as criticizing our friends in brown shirts

You aren't funny, Dude. Keep your day job.

The bad news is that last night the city of Chiang Mai was completely submerged by the river.

The good news is that now Chiang Mai has become a river resort.

In Chiang Mai, the Yacht Club and the Beach Club Resorts are both located a short walk from the flooded areas. Many consider the pool area (Chiang Mai), with its shipwreck theming, the Taepae road which is now a huge water slide and muddy bottom pool to be the best of any Northern Thailand resort. Boat services now travel directly from Bangkok and Chiang Mai`s theme parks (water taxis are available for transportation to the other parks). Restaurants and entertainment at the Boardwalk are also conveniently close.

• Like 1

Also, when flooding is expected then people park there cars somewhere higher up. Along the ring road is a good bet.

Ok, fair enough. I guess I noticed it less because I lived in Thai style house at the time, on poles. Thoroughly enjoyed having gone native enough to be more Thais than the Thais in typical 'modern' homes around me. I just put the washing machine in the truck and that was that, no worries. ;)

My home at the time was on the 16th floor, definitely no problems and a great view of the proceedings, the shop across the road (er flood) even kept us supplied with essentials via the owners son who swam across the street with the odd six pack of Singha etc, now that's what I call service. But that was back in my single days and regrettably I noted that Sayuree (sp), just down the road, didn't supply a similar service and I always felt that was a missed opportunity on their part.

Hows the rivers today? I've been in Vienchan for the past couple days and will get back to Chiangmai Saturday Morning. How's Narawat bridge doing? I have to go into town from Payap University area, So I hope the roads stay clear and doesnt rain. :/

Hows the rivers today? I've been in Vienchan for the past couple days and will get back to Chiangmai Saturday Morning. How's Narawat bridge doing? I have to go into town from Payap University area, So I hope the roads stay clear and doesnt rain. :/

Do not worry Yunnie the river is way down and the Pun Pun did not have to use their ark.:lol: But keep your inner tub handy because its pooring at the moment in Doi SAket.

yunnie.

re ... Hows the rivers today?

it about two feet lower than yesterday morning

pic 1 ... taken 11.30 ish yesterday

pic 2 ... taken 11 00 ish today

pic 3 ... the river level dropping by the hour today

enjoy .... dave2

ps .... the crud from the other day is still stuck on the wararot market bridge supports and its shaking : (

post-42592-092100200 1285848590_thumb.jp

post-42592-079899300 1285848643_thumb.jp

post-42592-031477000 1285848716_thumb.jp

post-42592-016807600 1285848778_thumb.jp