Snake Bites Samui

BigC

Thanks for that Big C

I would probably have trawled around the rip off guys first had I not known. :annoyed:

I am also told to try and try and take the snake with you so that they can give the correct anti-venom. The snake does NOT have to be alive! (But it is illegal to kill them.)

Just for humour - the first time that I was stung by a scorpion - I took it to the hospital in a container with me just in case it was poisonous. :ermm:

One of the nurses prodded it and it stung her. She said "Aaawrgh it's not dead. " I said "I didn't say that I had killed it!" She was not a happy bunny. :(

Thanks for that Big C

I would probably have trawled around the rip off guys first had I not known. :annoyed:

I am also told to try and try and take the snake with you so that they can give the correct anti-venom. The snake does NOT have to be alive! (But it is illegal to kill them.)

Just for humour - the first time that I was stung by a scorpion - I took it to the hospital in a container with me just in case it was poisonous. :ermm:

One of the nurses prodded it and it stung her. She said "Aaawrgh it's not dead. " I said "I didn't say that I had killed it!" She was not a happy bunny. :(

lol. if you have a snake in your house and u r in the proccess of trying to evacuate the snake in what ever means off your choice. Maybe u should take a picture if u get the chance. then if u get bitten in the proccess. then u have a copy of the snake.

Em no i did not get bitten by the cobra which was in the seat i am sitting in now. i got ride of the cobra after one one. then went back to work and got stung by a hornet.

after 2 hours the pain was in creaseing to i went to hospital. i made the mistake of telling the nurse that i have just had a snake in the house. so i spent about 20 minutes explaining that the snake did not bite me. but a horney did. i should have know this would have confussed them.

anway to cut a long story short they told me if the snake did bite me then the only hospital on the island is Samui Hospital in Natong that has the antie venem. so i thought i had better pass that info on because i did not know till today . so if someone is to come on the path of a big cobra then call samui rescue and tell them you are going to nathong hospital then they will clear the road for u. well the might do. it is up to them.

Edited by BigC

Big C This is useful info and presumably an update from the posts a couple of months ago where it was thought that both Samui Int AND

Nathon General carried anti-venom.

Have you personally checked the other hospitals? Because as you say every minute counts and I would hate to think that my life would be endangered by a 50 minute drive time to Nathon when I could have gone to Samui Int. in 10 minutes or possibly any of the other hospitals.

You do not mention the type of snake the anti-venom is for, presumably Cobra. But it would be good to know if other anti-venoms are held such as the pit-viper.

Please advise if your info is factual or heresay..Many thanks.

Big C This is useful info and presumably an update from the posts a couple of months ago where it was thought that both Samui Int AND

Nathon General carried anti-venom.

Have you personally checked the other hospitals? Because as you say every minute counts and I would hate to think that my life would be endangered by a 50 minute drive time to Nathon when I could have gone to Samui Int. in 10 minutes or possibly any of the other hospitals.

You do not mention the type of snake the anti-venom is for, presumably Cobra. But it would be good to know if other anti-venoms are held such as the pit-viper.

Please advise if your info is factual or heresay..Many thanks.

Hi a newbie here

Ive been on the island about 2 years and i read in the Samui Express last year about a gardener being bitten by a cobra

and taken to Nathon hospital for anti venom and it stated in print that Nathon was the only hospital with anti venom. But

that was the Samui Express!!

to get bitten by a snake, specially by a cobra - one has to have either really bad luck or act very, very stupid!

Cat's 'n Dog's are pretty good body guards in this regard, I had at least close 7-8 encounters, always been alerted by the cat's, in one case almost stepped on a pit vipewr, curled up, very difficult to see, realized in a blink of an eye..... those things are very well camouflaged, like stone fish....

to get bitten by a snake, specially by a cobra - one has to have either really bad luck or act very, very stupid!

Cat's 'n Dog's are pretty good body guards in this regard, I had at least close 7-8 encounters, always been alerted by the cat's, in one case almost stepped on a pit vipewr, curled up, very difficult to see, realized in a blink of an eye..... those things are very well camouflaged, like stone fish....

So had you stepped on it I guess that would have been bad luck?? :unsure:

I agree that dogs and cats are pretty good about giving warnings, my dog prevented a very close encounter with a cobra which was curled up in a small bush by the front door.

Does anyone know if Nathon Hospital has Pit Viper anti-venom? I think that they may be more common than people realise because they are so difficult to see.

About a year ago I saw a snake ID chart on the wall at BKK-Samui and I'm pretty sure hey have some anti venom on stock, although I can't confirm that now.

It would be good and interesting to know which hospital has what anti venoms.

077421444 is the number for samui rescue. they will take u there for free and drive u at 1 million miles an hour. u might need a thai to translate.

If u r in a hard to find zone then. get to a land mark quickly or tell rescue you number plate and car number. they might clear the road. they can get people there is about 20 minutes.

worth putting that number in yur phones and find a thai to translate. Yes samui hospital in nathong is the only place

Thanks for that Big C

It's a cracker :D