Visual Kanchanaburi

Kan Win

Hi Folks,

Lots has been written about this province, but there is a lack of photos present and past taken by you Members of ThaiVisaDotCom that live in and around here or have visited Kan on your holidays in this the 3rd largest province of Thailand.

I invite you to post your photos on this thread and Welcome To (The) Land of Peace and Love

(alas this sign is no longer there, but the photo will always be with me)

large.jpg

Another oldied

large.jpg

and the latest one

large.jpg

Welcome and please post your own photos.

Sawadee :wai:

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics. Having worked and lived in Kanchanaburi for 10 months, I have to say I very much fell in love with the area. I'm now on Koh Chang :bah: , but would much rather be back in Kanchanaburi. Looking forward to a trip there in a few weeks to catch up with my mates. :)

This section of the River Kwai has now been changed and the swampy island on the left of this photo is now a municipal park. When they first started developing it and building a motor vehicle causeway to the island I thought it was going to be for housing, but was pleasantly surprised to see it made into a park for everyone.

River_Kwai_longtails_1_Em.jpg

River_Kwai_sunset_1_Em.jpg

River_Kwai_sunset_3.jpg

Now it looks like this...

Luk_Kae_island_park_3.jpg

Sorry for the smokey haze that was hanging over the area when I took the photos

Luk_Kae_island_park_1.jpg

• Like 1

All,

here is my effort of a humble contribution with pics from the temple Sua - my wife tells me we farangs know it as the tiger temple, at Thamuang (wifey not sure about the latin spelling)

We go here once every time we visit Kanchanaburi as I think the hole construction is impressive and beautiful and the view over the River Kwai valley is terrific. Any military man would have built his castle here with guns and the whole works, but no the Thais built a temple.....

It seems you have o click on the pics to get them in larger size, I got what yuo see here

post-30736-032687800 1286087186_thumb.jp

post-30736-087752500 1286087245_thumb.jp

post-30736-044270500 1286087352_thumb.jp

post-30736-011112100 1286087543_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Lovely pics. Cheers all.

Love that area. A memory I'll cherish forever is the sheer delight on my daughter's face when she was little and I took her swimming at Erawan Falls and the fish were nibbling at her feet.

Lovely pics. Cheers all.

Love that area. A memory I'll cherish forever is the sheer delight on my daughter's face when she was little and I took her swimming at Erawan Falls and the fish were nibbling at her feet.

My little waterbabies love the same place. I can never get them out of the water

Fong_Gong_1.jpg

Fong_2.jpg

Fong_friend_2.jpg

Gong_3.jpg

Nibbling_fish_1.jpg

All,

here is my effort of a humble contribution with pics from the temple Sua - my wife tells me we farangs know it as the tiger temple, at Thamuang (wifey not sure about the latin spelling)

We go here once every time we visit Kanchanaburi as I think the hole construction is impressive and beautiful and the view over the River Kwai valley is terrific. Any military man would have built his castle here with guns and the whole works, but no the Thais built a temple.....

It seems you have o click on the pics to get them in larger size, I got what yuo see here

Hi 'Frank La Rue' ,

Your contribution is what was needed to bring Kan into the Lime-Light and Focus of folks wishing to visit this our provice.

Kan Win

Edited by Kan Win

Another of the famous temples in Kanchanaburi. It's on the other side of the river from the main part of Kanchanaburi city. The dragon temple is a little off the beaten path, but one of my favourites in Kanchanaburi. There are supposedly 1000 steps to the cave temple within the mountain.

Kanchanaburi_cave_temple_3.jpg

Kanchanaburi_temple_6.jpg

Inside the limestone cave temple near the top of the mountain.

Kanchanaburi_cave_temple_1.jpg

Edited by IanForbes

All,

here is my effort of a humble contribution with pics from the temple Sua - my wife tells me we farangs know it as the tiger temple, at Tha Muang (wifey not sure about the latin spelling)

We go here once every time we visit Kanchanaburi as I think the whole construction is impressive and beautiful and the view over the River Kwai valley is terrific.

Hi Frank,

Just to add to your very good post, the view from up there is of the Mae Klong River as it changes name when the two river Khaew's (Kwais) join in Kan Town just below the Gates of Kan.

Photo take last month, 9 shots is all from the back of this great temple Wat Tum Suea . Most folks do not even know about this view as the access is very limited and not too safe. Shots from left (South to East, West side). The large mountain is to the North and the back car park)

large.jpg

(for a bigger photo http://www.pbase.com...432759/original)

And then the North to South (East side) view which everyone Kan see with safety 5-6 shots in all and then stiched to make a pano.

large.jpg

(for a bigger photo http://www.pbase.com...432761/original)

Another of the famous temples in Kanchanaburi. It's on the other side of the river from the main part of Kanchanaburi city. The dragon temple is a little off the beaten path, but one of my favourites in Kanchanaburi. There are supposedly 1000 steps to the cave temple within the mountain.

Inside the limestone cave temple near the top of the mountain.

Kanchanaburi_cave_temple_1.jpg

Hi IanForbes user_popup.png,

Thank you very much for your photos of Kan and if you have more please feel free to post them.

This temple is on the same road coming back to Kan from Tha Muang and Wat Tum Suea.

Stange I when up there twice, first time without a tri-pod, picture was blurred not like yours which is very good btw:) . Second time with a tripod, but the same result picture was blurred :o . Since then I go to this temple and take the family there for them climb up. I stay in the car park.B)

Mae Klong Dam In Kan,

The Scenic Landscape above the dam.

Approximately 14 kms. south of the town, plays a vital role in the development of Mae Klong River Plain covering 3 million rais of Suphanburi, Kanchanaburi, Ratchburi, Nakhon Phathom, Samut Songkram and Samut Sakorn.

Scenic Landscape above the dam is wonderful. B)

Have you seen it? If not take a look below:-

large.jpg

For a large photo http://www.pbase.com...456756/original

Wat Tum Suea is hinded from this veiw, but Kan be seen from this Dam B)

Hi Folks,

So you have seen the Temples, well one or two.

Kan was and still is famous for this:-

large.jpg

and least for its Railway Station that trains have parked in there. Have a look and see what I found:-

I was stunned why this very small train station changed its colour from the normal white body look until this year in Jan

large.jpg

and then as always the VIP's come along and park their bits and pieces :w00t:

large.jpg

Sawadee :wai: and welcome to "Visual Kanchanaburi" B)

Please post you own photos in here if you so wish :)

Edited by Kan Win

I enjoyed your recent, extreme panoramas from the temple, Kan. thanks

Some tourists miss the war museum in the little market near the bridge.

Kanchanaburi_museum_1.jpg

and then there is the limestone cave along the railway route.

Kanchanaburi_caves_2.jpg

Kanchanaburi_railway_10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All,

here is my effort of a humble contribution with pics from the temple Sua - my wife tells me we farangs know it as the tiger temple, at Tha Muang (wifey not sure about the latin spelling)

We go here once every time we visit Kanchanaburi as I think the whole construction is impressive and beautiful and the view over the River Kwai valley is terrific.

Hi Frank,

Just to add to your very good post, the view from up there is of the Mae Klong River as it changes name when the two river Khaew's (Kwais) join in Kan Town just below the Gates of Kan.

Photo take last month, 9 shots is all from the back of this great temple Wat Tum Suea . Most folks do not even know about this view as the access is very limited and not too safe. Shots from left (South to East, West side). The large mountain is to the North and the back car park)

large.jpg

(for a bigger photo http://www.pbase.com...432759/original)

And then the North to South (East side) view which everyone Kan see with safety 5-6 shots in all and then stiched to make a pano.

large.jpg

(for a bigger photo http://www.pbase.com...432761/original)

Kan Win - thanks for your encouragement and kind words, have a beer and a meal with me/us next time we're in Kan.

I will post a few pics from Sai Yok Noi (The death railway) w locomotive) separately.

Here are some pics from Sai Yok Noi,

The drive there goes through beautiful landscape

The road is pleasantly modern and well maintained

There is a restaurant to cater fro your taste buds

There is a waterfall to provide a cool breeze

There is a pond for the kids to play

There are platforms made by Govnment for families to spend the day

You can occupy one of the platforms , eat , drink and sleep in the shade for the day

There is locomotive 801 - the last locomotive in service of the japanese

post-30736-071284200 1287251648_thumb.jp

post-30736-028038700 1287251670_thumb.jp

post-30736-077379000 1287251683_thumb.jp

post-30736-073315500 1287251703_thumb.jp

post-30736-010653300 1287251721_thumb.jp

post-30736-059550300 1287251745_thumb.jp

post-30736-006831000 1287251764_thumb.jp

Can anyone tell me how I upload pics to get them the larger size like everyone else?

There is the good and the bad about that idea. I have ALL my photos on separate sites that I have pre-sized to 100 dpi by 7 inches by about 4.5 inches. I also reduce the quality of the image so it can't be stolen and used for commercial purposes. This all takes a lot of time. But I have over 7000 photos stored on those sites in separate albums. The good idea of that plan is I can easily transpose the pictures from my album to any forum that allows photos. The bad part is that in Thailand there are often poor internet connections and it takes forever to load one picture. Even in areas where they offer so called "fast, ADSL" internet, it is so over subscribed that the load time is not much better than dial up.

If you go to "properties" by right clicking your mouse, you will see the URL and where my photos are stored. It also shows the process of how to enclose a picture.

Can anyone tell me how I upload pics to get them the larger size like everyone else?

Hi Frank,

The answer in here http://www.thaivisa....s-to-the-forum/

Should be some good reading for you about the pros & cons.

I use Pbase.com btw and "link" me photos so I only need to up-load them once.:whistling:

There is the good and the bad about that idea. I have ALL my photos on separate sites that I have pre-sized to 100 dpi by 7 inches by about 4.5 inches. I also reduce the quality of the image so it can't be stolen and used for commercial purposes. This all takes a lot of time. But I have over 7000 photos stored on those sites in separate albums. The good idea of that plan is I can easily transpose the pictures from my album to any forum that allows photos. The bad part is that in Thailand there are often poor internet connections and it takes forever to load one picture. Even in areas where they offer so called "fast, ADSL" internet, it is so over subscribed that the load time is not much better than dial up.

If you go to "properties" by right clicking your mouse, you will see the URL and where my photos are stored. It also shows the process of how to enclose a picture.

Thanks "Ian" good post :)

Now back to the topic in hand.

Some tourists miss the war museum in the little market near the bridge.

Good photos keep them coming :)

I did not miss it, but got a photo from the other side of the river of this museum. :ph34r:

Yet another boring pano :w00t:

large.jpg

<snip>

and then there is the limestone cave along the railway route.

<snip>

Your good photos are from Tham Kra Sae Cave

Did you notice that the cactus has writting on them

original.jpg

and then how to get there photo "Wampo Viaduct by Train"

large.jpg

Back to "Tham Kra Sae Cave veiw"

large.jpg

Bigger photo Kan be found here http://www.pbase.com...251845/original

On the left hand-side is the famous Cave B) and inside is

large.jpg

Wampo Viaduct.

This is the only remaining wooden structure which the Train to Nam Tok takes.

View from under

large.jpg

large.jpg

thats me mate Pete on his mission :w00t:

Yet another photo or two of this great Viaduct

.large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg