Hotels In Bangkok Refuse Blacks And Indians

george

I fail to see how this is a problem.

Many bars do not let them in either, because we don't want to drink with them.

I said to a bargirl once, 'Why do you keep the blacks out?' and she said 'Because if Farang see African man, he not come in'.

I said 'Yep, you're right'.

All they do is try and sell me cocaine, and try to 'look after me' on Sukhumvit. It gets quite tiring.

This sort of comment is disgusting. I thought it was illegal to discriminate on anybody because of their race or religion. It is surely a worldwide human right. Jeez sometimes I think we are moving back towards the caves and certainly I thought this sort of evil was becoming a thing of the past bad old days. When will mankind start to grow up. My skin colour by an accident of birth happens to be white but I drink with anyone who is a decent and friendly and nice person and have many friends in my life of all colours and religions and you know what none of them sell cocaine, yes even those of darker skin. I would trust them more than many white skinned a'holes you come across in life. Logically and factually there are equal numbers of good and bad in every race no matter what colour their skin just happens to be, why should skin colour make any difference we are all of us human beings after all.

Must make a note never to stay or recommend that hotel to anyone, totally evil and disgusting attitude they have IMHO. Next thing they will ban white skinned guys because they are not Thai skin coloured, what stupid crap !!! Personally I wont go in any bar or hotel that bans anyone on the basis of their colour or religion. Cant add any more so I wont post further in this thread.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad but as one born in the States when black citizens of our own country were refused service on a regular basis and could not even use the same toilets as whites, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that this type of crime is still being committed elsewhere. I have however stayed in hotels in Bangkok where there were many African men and women also in residence who were treated well by the staff who greeted them on a first name basis. However, when I stay in Bangkok with my Thai partner, he is frequently treated like a prostitute by the Thai staff. This despite the fact that he speaks several languages, is highly educated and works for the government. It's shameful that these properties are discriminating against against Africans and Indians but even worse is how they treat their own people.

I am not against someone's right to have their own business and serve whom they want. Although regrettable, this is necessary for groups to feel secure.

I do not particularly care that there are Thai-Only clubs, where only Thais are allowed. Hence the hypocrisy of Thais condemning this act.

But what really made me guffaw was the absolute "Thai-ness" of this event where the Thai people actually took the money, knowing full well these people would be kicked out, and still refuse to give it back (as far as I understand now).

That is the real gut buster. That is so L.O.$. Ya gotta love those Thais and their adolescent, visceral greed for the filthy lucre more than anything else. That is just funny! Just when you think you heard it all.

While this alleged act is wrong, I am more surprised a 'rapper' is staying at a cheap shoddy hotel.

I was thinking the same thing. My friend stayed there one night and then checked out and into something better, hel_l if he can only afford a 500 baht per night hotel then something is wrong.

Nasa Vegas is a sh*thole and anyone that is staying there is obviously on a tight budget or oblivious. There are literally about 30 better options within a 20 km radius.

I recently stayed at the Nasa Vegas and it was great for the money. Following their recent announcement I'll definitely be staying there again if it keeps those Africans out!

The thing is about "great for the money", is that as US$16.65 isn't much "money", there isn't going to be much "great" about it.

Like hughben's friend, I stayed one night... and yeah, it's a dump... but yeah, for the amount of money, it was "great." :rolleyes:

It's absolutely disgusting and abhorrent to make bad assumptions about a person based on the colour of their skin, their " class " status or the country they are from. The sort of person who would do such a thing is nothing more than a low life bigot who I would never wish to associate with. We are all one under the skin, all equal and deserving of the same respect as fellow human beings.

Apart from the French.... :D

Many a true word said in gest

Of course youve never been to such areas, but i hope you dont mind if i think youre a liar.

No one has said every black dude sells drugs so there is another lie ... youre on a roll

If you could also point out where ive been racist, is it when im harmlessly going to watch the football in Gullivers on my own and get pressured by the gangs of West Africans that try to scam and intimidate me, notice theyre not brave enough to try it on their own.

You post like an agressive racist, i do not want to be judgemental but you sound like a NF thug

Can all the Indian viewers or forum readers talke note of this and help disseminate this to any media that you know in India and elsewhere and also pass this on to all your friends in India or elsewhere. What is needed is more boycotts of Thailand. Regards,

World News?

Article by WN Guest Writer Tom Kidd

Guest writer?

which in the end turned out to be a big fat lie

The entire hotel staff were pointing fingers at him and (presumably like some Greek chorus) saying "The Black People are bad and Always Cause Trouble" and "The Black People Never Pay or check out of the Hotel and they're too loud and Dangerous and they sell drugs."

Racism unfortunately exists in Thailand as in most places in the world, but this article sounds like a demented Monty Python sketch.

to quote one of the replies on the linked original source:

John L from Thailand says: What a total amateurish piece of writing and it does nothing for the credibility of WN to publish it.

It's a perfect example of what separates professional journalists from would-be.

It all reads like a great promotional plug for a third-rate music artist based entirely on playing the race card.

Don't give up your day job Mr. "Kidd".

Where's the comment from the hotel? Where's any proof?

Being very familiar with Thaialnd's defamation laws Mr. "Kidd" had best make tracks fast out of the kingdom.

Look, we all know Thailand isn't PC-land. Sometimes that can be very refreshing and sometimes it is downright disgusting. This is a case of the latter. Just don't try to tell us there isn't massive racism in Thailand from the Thais, because ... there is.

Having stayed at the Nasa Vegas on one occasion I found that most of the patrons were of Indian or African/African American cast BUT there were no problems at all having attended two meals in the restaurant and several hours at the bar over a 28 hour stay.

Can't quite understand what has triggered this lot.

I am more surprised a 'rapper' is staying at a cheap shoddy hotel.
and you need to be sure <deleted> you are talking about!! Ever been to or stayed there?

That hotel or residence is right new my place and at the foot of an Airport link station. I've seen blacks, indians, Muslims and other races go in there. I don't know why anyone would want to stay in that place. I checked it out and it reminded me of an old persons home. It stunk.

That's very insulting. I'm an old person as indeed are most of my friends and I can assure you our homes are clean and tidy and none of them stink. They are probably more presentable than your own place should the truth be known!

Hotels In Bangkok Refuse Blacks And Indians

I was at first shocked at reading this headline because it led me to think this was maybe a new policy introduced by hotels in the last few days for whatever reason. Then after reading it fully I realised it pertained to just ONE hotel. So, at the outset, the report was sensationalising a single event.

It's been my experience that people tend to paint all of Thailand with a single brush based on a couple of experiences. Their loss.

Keep an open mind, walk along, smile, and soon you will find that those that barred you once will soon start waving you in. That is MY experience.

Racism, or profiling on appearance, is practiced everywhere and is an inescapable part of modern life. Airports do it, surreptitiously. The police does it. Five star hotels do it (try walking into one, wearing ragged dirty clothes and stinking to high heaven). If you "look like" you cannot pay, a pricey restaurant will not let you in.

As for hotels in Thailand refusing blacks and Indians, that's a BIG lie. One hotel, maybe.

Edited by HereIAm

A couple of years ago I was on Suk Soi 5 near Gullivers at around 10 pm and decided to take the short cut to Soi 3.

I was dressed in a shirt, pants and shoes. Business like.

I took the small street opposite Gullivers that takes you to Soi 3 and about 30 meters up there were a load of Africans hanging about.

I'd never had a problem walking around that area before.

Anyway, as I was approaching them of the Africans called me a Nazi.

I thought this assumption must be because I sport a number 1. Not because I am dressed smart or am a white man in a non Aryan country.

Anyway I thought this was ridiculous and wondered why this idiot thought it was London in 1982.

But it was quite tense.

Then he said that I was not allowed on this street as it belonged to them.

All kinds of expletives were aimed in my direction as I walked off fearing a racist beating.

Luckily for me a Taxi driver appeared in his cab and had some sort of altercation with them which resulted in him getting out and shouting at them, and they were shouting at him.

The taxi driver was on his phone calling for reinforcements no doubt as I exited with no more attention directed at me.

Perhaps the tour is not going so well and they need some publicity to announce his arrival! Nice PR maybe! Great material for a new single release and talking point for promotion.

Blame the victim, that's the ticket.

BTW, the very same clerk denying entry to the black folks probably went out that night to a club playing the music of African American stars. Go figure.

Edited by Jingthing

And you Yanks should get off your high horse. Weren't you the most recent owners of slaves in the western world?

Wake up:

The Arab or Middle Eastern slave trade continued into the early 20th century,[116] and by some accounts continues to this day. Slavery in Morocco was outlawed in the 1930s.[117] As recently as the 1950s, Saudi Arabia had an estimated 450,000 slaves, 20% of the population.[118][119] It is estimated that as many as 200,000 black south Sudanese children and women (mostly from the Dinka tribe sold by the Sudanese Arabs of the north) have been taken into slavery in Sudan during the Second Sudanese Civil War.[120][121] In Mauritania it is estimated that up to 600,000 men, women and children, or 20% of the population, are currently enslaved, many of them used as bonded labor.[122] Slavery in Mauritania was criminalized in August 2007.[123]

As a black man living in Thailand, I'm totally used to it. I've been sent away a couple of times trying to book a room on Sukhumvit or Khao San. It's a shame really. One time I booked on-line and arrived at my hotel, only to be told that my room had been 'mistakenly' allocated to someone else. This irked me to a point that I asked my friend (Sorry to mention that she is white) to reserve a room in the same hotel.. Yep, she got the room ,and at the same price I had been offered. We walked in together and I spent the night in THAT same hotel. I wouldn't do that again. Now I just walk away and let ignorance prevail.

I live near some Burmese workers and it pains my heart to see how most Thais treat their own neighbours.

I have come to learn that if it is not your home, you don't fight it. You do not forcefully impose yams/maize in a household that is entirely used to rice. You live your life peacefully, then go back home and enjoy your yam/maize.

Thailand will one day come to learn.

The world has got a long way to go as far a eradication of racism is concerned.

• Like 2

I said to a bargirl once, 'Why do you keep the blacks out?' and she said 'Because if Farang see African man, he not come in'.

All they do is try and sell me cocaine, and try to 'look after me' on Sukhumvit. It gets quite tiring.

I ran out of reds today but will be back tomorrow to give you one.

I know plenty of those white folks who sell drugs also you bigot!

It shows the kind of people you associate with then, ive never once seen a white male pushing drugs in Sukhumvit or causing trouble in gangs like the West Africans do, theyre the reason why i will never step into this area again in the evening.

Pity the decent blacks suffer because of them. This company must have their reasons for taking such measures.

I have never met anyone selling drugs in Thailand because I do not hang out in the areas where that would happen!

I was refering to anywhere in the world. there are white dealers and black dealers! probably a few yellow ones as well.

I am shocked at the amount of racism on this board! :o not every black dude sells drugs for a living.

Excuse me Sir, but your post here occurred to me to be a kind of hard to believe.

Most time when we rent a room at Khao San Road, there were Blacks passing by and asking me: "Wanna samm Cocaine?

I do not look like a Junkie or a dopie.....

I used to work with a black woman with a fake Ghanese passport, she was originally from Nigeria. So many of them suddenly become English teachers, even this 'lady' who was always saying: " I go eat myself," when she was trying to tell us that she wanted to go to lunch.

And believe me ,none of the Thais could figure her out.

The black woman suddenly came up with a Sri Lankan woman who also became a "teacher'.

There was a time when she told me what the Ghanese/ Nigerian woman was actually doing.

The so called " Ngerian Connection".....

And indeed, they traveled to Bangkok every weekend.....

After a while one of them asked me where the laws wouldn't be that strange like Thailand, guess to expand their business.

In the end you're right. Not every black dude is selling drugs for a living. But most of the Blacks in Bangkok do it.....

Edited by sirchai

Not only Blacks and Indian

2003 in Thailand, at the Bella Bella Guesthouse, just one block from Bangkok’s tourist-thick Khao San Road, the management apologizes for not serving Israeli patrons. According to the sign taped to the front desk, “We have many problem with them.

I have lived in Thailand for 13 years, I have never allowed anyone to treat me with disrespect just because I am black.

Given the character of some Black or Indian people and some Thai or white people I have encountered around here, I very much agree its very hard not to stereotype a whole whole race or nationality.

I have always believed that you should give everyone the chance to discredit themselves first.

You will have to be totally out of your mind to tell me to get out before I even have a chance to say anything.

But like I said everyone treats me with respect just like I treat them as well.

The only people that get on my nerves are the women that have preference for black men:realangry:.

• Like 1

"A hotel is private property so owners can refuse entry to whoever they like"

I've seen this statement way too many times. That's Bulls**t! What's the law for then?

Then you might have a signboard at then entrance of the hotel stating: "Beware! Any black or arab pushing this hotel door will be shot at at sight!" Would that be ok for you?

I've read too many comments on this thread saying business owner can do whatever they want. That's nonsense!

For the ones endue with a common sense, here is the hotel email address [email protected] to let them know what you think about their policy.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1

Nasa Vegas is a sh*thole and anyone that is staying there is obviously on a tight budget or oblivious. There are literally about 30 better options within a 20 km radius.

correct its a pigsty around 700Baht per night I think, sorry but no idea who the "rapper" dude is - <deleted> music anyway but a funny story. Amazing Thailand :rolleyes:

I recently stayed at the Nasa Vegas and it was great for the money. Following their recent announcement I'll definitely be staying there again if it keeps those Africans out!

Why the fuc_k is there a limit to red rep points I can give out?! Half the <deleted> in this thread deserve red dots but I quickly ran out! <deleted>! dam_n you Thaivisa inhibiting my righteous smack down of these aryan nation bastards. :annoyed:

• Like 2

And you Yanks should get off your high horse. Weren't you the most recent owners of slaves in the western world?

Wake up:

The Arab or Middle Eastern slave trade continued into the early 20th century,[116] and by some accounts continues to this day. Slavery in Morocco was outlawed in the 1930s.[117] As recently as the 1950s, Saudi Arabia had an estimated 450,000 slaves, 20% of the population.[118][119] It is estimated that as many as 200,000 black south Sudanese children and women (mostly from the Dinka tribe sold by the Sudanese Arabs of the north) have been taken into slavery in Sudan during the Second Sudanese Civil War.[120][121] In Mauritania it is estimated that up to 600,000 men, women and children, or 20% of the population, are currently enslaved, many of them used as bonded labor.[122] Slavery in Mauritania was criminalized in August 2007.[123]

I said Western world.

Have none of you been to Tanya Road?? That is run by Japanese for Japanese and most, if not all bars and clubs accepts Japanese only. Now try to enter a bar or karaoke place in Japan, which is not geared to tourists; "Solly only japanese"...It's in most places written on the doors also. Did anyone try to enter the entertainment places at RCA when they opened some 10 years ago? They would chase you away if you were not Thai. So what it so horrible about Nasa doing their business without colored guests? Admittedly the deposit should have been refunded and that would probably have been the end of the story.

Thanks for your post which reminds us that racism is as widespread amongst Westerners as it is amongst Thais.

One night for a laugh as I was walking around the Nana - Asok area, I decided to simply approach every black I saw and ask for cocaine or weed. Every single one was able to give me info, prices, tell me where to go.

The only reason Africans are there is to commit crime. I'm not speaking from prejudice, I am speaking from experience.

As for the Indians, they're just .. [ 2 words deleted ]

Why the fuc_k is there a limit to red rep points I can give out?! Half the <deleted> in this thread deserve red dots but I quickly ran out! <deleted>! dam_n you Thaivisa inhibiting my righteous smack down of these aryan nation bastards. :annoyed:

It's two a day, sir. Please think of me for your red mark gifts of love next time you're firepower is refreshed.

It is a private business. It is their right to deny access to anyone. They should not try to steal his booking payment.

If you owned a hotel, and the same group of peoples no matter what colour, caused the same problems and troubles time after time... what would you do... Bann them.. so because of the many ignorant criminal and dirty amongst that group , the few good ones suffer... let them clean their own house ..

Edited by Rimmer
Irrelevent racist passage

I ran out of reds today but will be back tomorrow to give you one.

I know plenty of those white folks who sell drugs also you bigot!

True to my word, I came back to give you the red I owe you but decided not too as I see you have recieved reds from most of the board members already. I will instead donate my red to a worthy cause and give it to JT.

anyway, your red enough as it is you RED NECK :huh:

• Like 1

Can all the Indian viewers or forum readers talke note of this and help disseminate this to any media that you know in India and elsewhere and also pass this on to all your friends in India or elsewhere. What is needed is more boycotts of Thailand. Regards,

Actually, it would be wrong to disseminate an unsubstantiated report like this that unfairly presents a one-off event at a single hotel as happening in many or all hotels.

"Ribkat was constantly singled out and always had the fingers pointing at him with the entire hotel staff uttering comments such as "The Black People are bad and Always Cause Trouble" and "The Black People Never Pay or check out of the Hotel and they're too loud and Dangerous and they sell drugs""

Strange story. As mentioned, why Nasa Vegas? Also, he must speak Thai or the Thai staff talk to themselves in English. 'Fingers pointing at him?' Why did he have to cancel the rest of his tour?

"A hotel is private property so owners can refuse entry to whoever they like"

I've seen this statement way too many times. That's Bulls**t! What's the law for then?

Then you might have a signboard at then entrance of the hotel stating: "Beware! Any black or arab pushing this hotel door will be shot at at sight!" Would that be ok for you?

I've read too many comments on this thread saying business owner can do whatever they want. That's nonsense!

Actually rather than simply taking out of my arse about something I know nothing about like, er, for example, you the reason I'm in Thailand was through being transferred here by my company which happens to be one of the top international hotel chains in the world.

A hotel is private property. Like a house. You determine who you let in or out of your house don't you? The hotel owner has the same right to refuse admission to who they like without giving a reason. You can shout about discrimination but apart from giving the hotel adverse publicity try taking it to court and see how far it goes. It's their property and therefore, abhorrent as it may be,they get to say who comes in or not. Often when they're caught out and somebody makes a stink they'll backpedal not because of the legality but, as mentioned, because of the adverse publicity. I know of one international 4 star place in Bangkok that has a very discrete " No Indians/Pakistanis" policy if they can avoid it.

Of course the sensible ones aren't going to put up a sign saying " NO BLACKS, GAYS, JEWS" or whatever. It'll be discretely done.