1 Year Retirement Visa Renewal

My 1 year retirement visa is up for renewal on 3 November. At that time my passport (USA) will only be valid for another 11 months. Will the Immigration office renew my visa for the full year or will I have to get a new passport before I apply for the 1 year visa?

You do need to get it a new passport. I just did it recently due to having only nine months before expiration when applying for my one-year work related visa extension. Quite simple really. Go to USA embassy/consulate and fill out the form. In about 3 weeks the new passport will arrive (they now have to do it in the US where before they could issue a new one in Bangkok, thus the longer time).

When it arrives you pick it up (about $55.00 - $67.00 some contradictory information on price on their website, I paid $55 ) and the embassy/consulate will give you a letter to present to immigration. Go to immigration and they will transfer the Visa stamp and extension stamp to your new passport (no charge).

Immigration will not give you 1 one year visa extension if your passport is not valid beyond that.

Details here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/pspt.htm#pspt-passport

Edited by tywais

I have the same problem, ie. visa dated 22nd Nov. passport runs out 14th. Nov. 2006. Does this mean you lose almost 1 year of your passport?

Your from the UK right?

UK citizens recieve a credit of up to 9 months on their new passport if the old one has not expired. See below extract from the UKPA website.

To encourage customers to apply early we now offer a facility that enables applicants with unexpired validity in their old passports to receive a credit, up to the nearest whole month (minimum of one month, maximum of nine months) in their new passport.

Edited by thaiflyer1

I have the same problem, ie. visa dated 22nd Nov. passport runs out 14th. Nov. 2006. Does this mean you lose almost 1 year of your passport?

Your from the UK right?

UK citizens recieve a credit of up to 9 months on their new passport if the old one has not expired. See below extract from the UKPA website.

To encourage customers to apply early we now offer a facility that enables applicants with unexpired validity in their old passports to receive a credit, up to the nearest whole month (minimum of one month, maximum of nine months) in their new passport.

Correct! Thanks for your reply,so do they just tack an extra 9 months onto your new passport? :o

My passport expires 14th. Nov. 2006 I need a new passport before 22nd. Nov. this year for visa, so I have to apply for new passport about Oct. Can I get new paasport more than 1 year before old one expires? :D:D

Edited by monsieurhappy

Yes  ive  just  had  my  done  in  June  it  wasnt  due  to  expire  until  2007............i  renewed  it  and  instead  of  being  valid  until  June  2015 (10  years)  it  runs  to  March  2016  ........  they  have  tagged  the  allowable  credit  of  9  months  on.

Just dug my old passport out and it was due to expire in 2012 not 2007 so you can renew well in advance of expiry if required..............mine was full of Cambo visa stamps :o

This is a little off the subject. When I go to renew my retirement visa can I use the health certificate that I used last year or do I need to get a new one every year? If the later is the case, what happens when your 85 and still kicking but have a health problem? Do they then not renew your retirement visa?

This is a little off the subject. When I go to renew my retirement visa can I use the health certificate that  I used last year or do I need to get a new one every year? If the later is the case, what happens when your 85 and still kicking but have a health problem? Do they then not renew your retirement visa?

In my particular case Immigration have asked for a new health certificate each year. However I have seen previous posts where no health certificate has been requested. Normally very easy to obtain, to be safe take an updated one along.

This is a little off the subject. When I go to renew my retirement visa can I use the health certificate that  I used last year or do I need to get a new one every year? If the later is the case, what happens when your 85 and still kicking but have a health problem? Do they then not renew your retirement visa?

In my particular case Immigration have asked for a new health certificate each year. However I have seen previous posts where no health certificate has been requested. Normally very easy to obtain, to be safe take an updated one along.

Was the same with me. Each year they would ask for my hc but this year I couldn't give it away, just said "don't need it"...strange.

The health certificate in only that you do not have one of the five or six items listed that would preclude entry to Thailand. It is not a statement of general health.