Thai Atm Cards In Saigon - Possible To Use?

ThaiFelix

On my way to Saigon next week and am wondering whether I can use my Siam Comercial Bank or Bangkok bank ATM cards there? I am taking $US and also have a debit card from an Australian bank which I am fairly sure will work but like to have a back-up.

Anybody tried the Thai atm cards in Vietnam.

I have used already several times my Bangkokbank Be1st visa ATM card and my SCB Mastercard ATM card (both Debit Cards) in Vietnam. Not a problem at all. Also works in remote area's as long as the cash machines have the Visa and/or Mastercard logo.

Will use one of my cards again next Wednesday when I fly to Saigon and then to Vinh.

yeah...have used my Kasikorn VISA debit card all over VN and now in a remote area in the provinces...never a problem and my primary source of cash, my UK card with a smaller balance as a back up...usually charged 20k VND (about USD1.00) at the ATM for the privilege...

Hey thats good news guys, thanks so much for your help.

Hey its very quiet in here eh? No trolls, racists or barbarian verbal abuse so far??!!? Just good friendly advise...whats going on?

Thanks

Thaifelix

That is ok but your Debit Card must Visa or Master card logo on it

Even in Ha Tien,in the deep south of Vietnam,I've used my Krung Thai Bank Visa Debit card in ATM's with no problems. It's worthwhile knowing that the normal maximum withdrawal from a Vietnamese ATM is 2,000,000 VND (a few machines allow 4,000,000 VND) this costs 20,000-40,000 VND per transaction.BUT,you can go into the bank,and with your passport, and debit card, withdraw as much as you want(subject to your own banks daily limit)with a lower bank charge.Also,if,as in many cases,the ATM has run out of 500,000VND notes and will only dispense 100,000 or even 50,000 VND notes,you avoid having a huge wad of low denomination notes.In the bank you still have to key in your PIN number into a hand held machine and show or have photocopied your passport,but I've used this method successfully many times.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...

But is there any Kasikorn ATM machines in Laos, Vietnam, or Cambodia???

I have my USA ATM card just for backup, but I don't want to get hit up for ATM fees if I already carry a Kasikorn ATM card.

don't really understand your question...why would you NOT get hit for a fee if you used your k-bank card outside of Thailand? and no, I have not seen any K-Bank atms in VN just like you would be unlikely to see a Vietcombank atm in Thailand...

I always get hit for VND20k for every VND2million (about USD100) withdrawal at every ATM in VN when I use my K-MAX VISA debit card...

don't really understand your question...why would you NOT get hit for a fee if you used your k-bank card outside of Thailand? and no, I have not seen any K-Bank atms in VN just like you would be unlikely to see a Vietcombank atm in Thailand...

I always get hit for VND20k for every VND2million (about USD100) withdrawal at every ATM in VN when I use my K-MAX VISA debit card...

Ha ha. Thanks Tutsi. You answered my question. Even if it was difficult to understand. :rolleyes:

Even in Ha Tien,in the deep south of Vietnam,I've used my Krung Thai Bank Visa Debit card in ATM's with no problems. It's worthwhile knowing that the normal maximum withdrawal from a Vietnamese ATM is 2,000,000 VND (a few machines allow 4,000,000 VND) this costs 20,000-40,000 VND per transaction.BUT,you can go into the bank,and with your passport, and debit card, withdraw as much as you want(subject to your own banks daily limit)with a lower bank charge.Also,if,as in many cases,the ATM has run out of 500,000VND notes and will only dispense 100,000 or even 50,000 VND notes,you avoid having a huge wad of low denomination notes.In the bank you still have to key in your PIN number into a hand held machine and show or have photocopied your passport,but I've used this method successfully many times.

Just to update this there are a couple of ATM's in Hanoi now dishing out 8m Dong per transaction for those cheapskates trying to avoid a buck or two of charges. ;)

• 7 months later...

Some banks (Agribank, Dong-A and Commonwealth) permit you to withdraw up to 20 million per day. In the case of Agribank, you can make 4 transactions of 5 million. Dong-A and Commonwealth both permit 2 transactions of 10 million.

In the case of Dong-A and Agribank, there is a flat bank charge of 20 000 per transaction, regardless of the amount withdrawn.

Commonwealth allows you several options of denominations while Agribank gives you a variety of 500k, 100k, 50k and 10k notes in each withdrawal.

Note that not all ATMs accept all cards. Visa appears to be the most widely accepted and was working well until my offshore bank changed to Mastercard. The Mastercard does not even work inside the bank when trying to withdraw money over the counter (Sacombank and Vietcombank. Also, these two banks also only permit 3 x 2 million dong transactions, per day, from their ATMs). Acceptable cards are usually well advertised on the machine.

Other banks may offer other options/features and I am only writing about the banks I have personally used and transactions that I have conducted.