Expat Rights In Thailand

This one is just to test the waters.....

Ive read a lot of posts on here with regard to the lack of rights and privalages that we have here as foreigners residing in the LOS.

My question is, don't you think that you should accept the situation that you move into before you make that move?

I liken the analogy to the NHS nurses in the U.K., who went on strike a while ago (Im too young to remember the exact dates!!) due to their low pay. Surely, they should have no right to do such a thing as they knew the NHS pay structure before they chose their career path. Would this same theory not be applicable to those foreigners who CHOOSE (not those who are sent here by multinational corps.) to live here apply?

I choose to live here, and am happy biting the bullet to do so, but then again im only choosing to live here for a period of 5 years. What do you guys think?

I cant wait to read the responses!!

Actually foreigners are offered exactly the same legal protections as Thais. Except for all the exclusions about property and permitted emploment, legal foreigners have the same rights as Thais.

I know from experience -- a couple of cases of foreigners suing Thai employers over "wrongful" termination of working contracts. While I know the foreigners deserved to be fired (they were indeed losers), Thai courts upheld their right to compensation upon termination (three or four months pay). The Thai employers paid, and were happy to be well rid of these guys.

Now in vehicle accidents, etc., the Thai police often negoiate a settlement , sometimes based on who is most able to pay. That, however, is not the same as court, and if people want to take it to court, they may see their rights upheld and the right thing done. That is a loooong process, however.

At any rate my understanding is that, in theory, legal foreigners are afforded the same exact rights under criminal and civil law as Thais.

There is an old saying here in Thailand,  which translates loosely into "what the he!! can you do about it,  so sit down and shut up."  OK - very loosely.  :o

To some extent I believe this is correct. However, there are in fact codified laws in Thailand, designed to protect everyone farrang and Thai alike.

Some things are just a fact of life a Thia will assume in a land deal, that a farrang should pay more. Have you lost any rights, no you don't have to buy it, same as anywhere else.

There are many instances where we as farangs base things on rumor instead of fact. Thai's know this and don't expect us to fight back and 99% of the time they are correct. So no pressure to do the very same things they would do for Thai's with money. Note I said Thai's with money, if you think the poor here are treated any better by the monied Thai's I would suggest you look again.

I took immigration on because one employee decide that I had to have 800K in the bank and 65K a month, not what the law said. I din't have the 800K at the time so I had only two avenues go oh well and do the border runs or argue my position, knowing I had to deal with them the rest of the time I was here. The employee was wrong and I knew it. I lined all my ducks up in a row, tried to be careful not to embarass the employee I won.

If you go off half cocked and become angry because things don't work the same here as they do in your home country, your going to lose. It's thier country and thier laws and those are the ones you have to play by, not what you would like it to be, because you understand that better.

So as the gambler said you got to know when to hold them and when to fold them. Don't assume your going to be a victim to the great conspiracy unless that is how you choose to live your life. There are protections here for you but you have to be willing to stand up. I can tell you one thing for sure don't count on any help from your farrang friends, they are afraid and will want to get as far away from you a possible.

Now that being said if I had to live my dailey here in that manner I would leave in a heart beat, no way to retire and enjoy life. I refuse to spend it argiung that I spent ten baht to much for a haircut. But if it is serious yes I will stand up here just as I would at home

This one is just to test the waters.....

My question is, don't you think that you should accept the situation that you move into before you make that move?

I liken the analogy to the NHS nurses in the U.K., who went on strike a while ago (Im too young to remember the exact dates!!) due to their low pay. Surely, they should have no right to do such a thing as they knew the NHS pay structure before they chose their career path. Would this same theory not be applicable to those foreigners who CHOOSE (not those who are sent here by multinational corps.) to live here apply?

I choose to live here, and am happy biting the bullet to do so, but then again im only choosing to live here for a period of 5 years. What do you guys think?

:o The old saying "when in Rome do as the Romans do" however, do the people of the Muslim religion, who CHOOSE to move from a "muslim country" into a "non-muslim country" (eg UK) do those people accept the situation that they are moving into ??. I don't think so. It's their god given right to pray 5 times a day, and the employer has to provide a prayer room etc etc, otherwise they consider it a slur against their religion. A little one sided don't you think ?? If you're happy to bite the bullet then it's OK but I do think that the expat should have some rights in his chosen country of residence, Don't you think so? :D

Quite happy with fewer rights if that is indeed the case.Come from the UK where any Tom,Dick or Harry can turn up and get everything they need paid for by the state.Kind of admire the stringent immigration policy here,it hopefuly keeps the chavs out. :o

Edited by aletta

I liken the analogy to the NHS nurses in the U.K., who went on strike a while ago (Im too young to remember the exact dates!!) due to their low pay. Surely, they should have no right to do such a thing as they knew the NHS pay structure before they chose their career path.

I think they were peed-off because the NHS managerial staff were getting huge pay increases and the nurses Jack sh1t.

On the legal side, I can only comment from one incident that happened to me some three years ago.

I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, arrested and ended up facing some very serious charges. Whilst out on bail, both my Embassy and lawyers in BKK suggested that I skip and get out of the country asap. I was still in possession of my passport.

I didn't do as advised. I attended every bail appearance on time and after three months of investigation, all charges were dropped.

Just as well I didn't run. Dont' think Thailand would have been too pleased to me me again if I had.

So, as far as legal rights were concerned, I had as many as any Thai.

Legal, meaning all with valid visas or foreigners with PR  :o only?

At any rate my understanding is that, in theory, legal foreigners are afforded the same exact rights under criminal and civil law as Thais.

with valid non-immigrant and/or immigrant permits(aka PR) and abiding by the conditions specific to the type of permit ie:work permit regulations associated with non-imm b etc.....