Thai Passport

Hi,

Our child was born in Australia by my Thai wife (Australian resident). Is it difficult to get a Thai passport for our child as we are considering returning to Thailand for an extended period.

It would be nice not having to renew our child's visa every 3 months.

If we can get a passport, what paperwork should we take with us when we return to Thailand please?

Thanks

Regards, Humnoi

Can someone confirm this please:

No visa required until 7 years of age

My 5 year old twins have never had a Thai visa. A child does not need a visa until 7 years of age. I know this as we have left the Kingdom with them only twice in the last 5 years (last time only a few weeks ago) and there has been no trouble whatsoever at the airport. They are officially granted a 30 day stay on arrival and they have stayed for up to two years on that entry stamp. Once they reach the age of 7 they will require a visa. Until then, I see no reason to make them do visa runs or to pay for a visa that is not necessary. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks Humnoi

Believe you can and should do the passport application at the nearest Thai Consulate rather than waiting until your return to Thailand. Once you have the passport you use that to enter/exit Thailand.

Believe all travelers require visa or visa free entry but there is no overstay enforced for children.

If the child is born in Thailand to both farang parents, is the child eligible for a Thai passport? Just curious as I have asked this question many times (immigration, Thai friends, etc.) and I get different answers.

If the child is born in Thailand to both farang parents, is the child eligible for a Thai passport? Just curious as I have asked this question many times (immigration, Thai friends, etc.) and I get different answers.

If both parents are legal aliens it should be possible but believe the term "legal alien" may only describe those with PR status (but not sure on that). This link provides a chart:

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/con_info...htm#nationality

I have discussed this with an nationality lawyer who tells me that the term "Legal Alien" means an alien with PR status. A child born of non-Thai parents in Thailand may, therefore, be eligibe for Thai citizenship if one of its parents has PR status at the time the child was born.

Hi,

Our child was born in Australia by my Thai wife (Australian resident). Is it difficult to get a Thai passport for our child as we are considering returning to Thailand for an extended period.

It would be nice not having to renew our child's visa every 3 months.

If we can get a passport, what paperwork should we take with us when we return to Thailand please?

Thanks

Regards, Humnoi

you will need to apply though the Thai embassy in Canberra. As the child was born in Australia, you'll need to apply for a thai birth certificate through them, not in Thailand. While you are going through the same process, you can apply for a Thai passport issued for the child as well. Yout wife will need to prove her nationality, namely with her ID card, copy of house registration, and her Thai passport. Its then just a matter of filling in forms then. Passport will take 3-4 weeks.

Once they have the PP, no additional documentation will be needed for the child to go and live in Thailand, other than registering it at its mothers Thai house registration if you are actually going to be living in thailand.

I have discussed this with an nationality lawyer who tells me that the term "Legal Alien" means an alien with PR status.  A child born of non-Thai parents in Thailand may, therefore, be eligibe for Thai citizenship if one of its parents has PR status at the time the child was born.

Both parents would have to have PR status with the child born in Thailand according to the chart.

Both parents would have to have PR status with the child born in Thailand according to the chart.

I, my sister and my brother were born in Thailand to foreign parents (Japanese) holding Thai PR. We all have Thai ID cards and Japanese passports. Now my sister's been married to a Swede and been living in Sweden for some 15 years, with two daughers who were born there. One of them is now 12. Now, can her daughters get Thai citizenships on the ground her mother has a Thai citizenship (she only has a valid Thai ID card to prove it) even though my sister's been living there as a Japanese citizen, and after all these years since her daughters' birth during which time she didn't bother to obtain Thai birth cirtificate for her children from the Thai embassy in Stockholm (I think my sister's not aware her children are eligible for Thai citizenships)? Also am I correct to think if dual citizenships is allowed for a Thai national so is triple citizenships?

Edited by Nordlys

As many as you want Nordlys. My cousins have Thai,Australian and British PP's.

So, are my sister's daughters still eligible for Thai citizenship application? The other daughter is about 5 years old, I think. I guess there's no age limit to applying for a Thai birth certificate? My sister doesn't have a Thai PP btw. Just a valid Thai ID card.

As many as you want Nordlys. My cousins have Thai,Australian and British PP's.

So, are my sister's daughters still eligible for Thai citizenship application? The other daughter is about 5 years old, I think. I guess there's no age limit to applying for a Thai birth certificate? My sister doesn't have a Thai PP btw. Just a valid Thai ID card.

ID card should be fine. Thai law is simple when it comes to Nationality. A child of a national, no matter where they are born, are Thai nationals also.