Wine In Chiangrai, Where And When?

Limbo

Finally I wrote it down. The frustration of standing in a liquor shop (for instance in the BigC) not being able to buy a bottle of wine became too much.

For the members who recognize the feeling:

You can buy wine only from 11.00 to 14.00 and from 17.00 to 24.00.

This is because of the fact that wine (including Chateau de Loei) is mostly only sold in liquor shops. Almost all other kinds of alcoholic drinks you can buy around the clock in your neighbourhood shop.

If you buy at least ten liters, then you can buy wine as well.

I can recommend the Chilenian Lazo Undurra, a cabernet sauvignon of last years harvest. It is 350 Baht. A good wine!

Cheers!

Limbo.

By the way: This red Barras (..?) is OK as well. It is an European mix, whatever that could be and is only 200 Baht a bottle. It tasts like wine should do.

I heard that the Thai wine Chateau de Loei is a very young wine and is processed with a surprising speed.

With young I don't mean in the sence that Loei only started a couple of years ago with producing wine, but I actually meant the time between harvest and bottling.

Also in the area of Chiangrai (meachan and upp-north) different kind of wines are produced. Some of them you can buy along the super-highway (also between 2 and 5 PM).

The question why wine is not sold between 2 and 5 in the afternoon isn't answered yet. I at least never met somebody who could answer this question (also my Thai friends don't come further than to point out - with a big smile - 'because the law says so').

Some people think that it is quite unconvenient and that it is not sure if this regulation indeed prevents young people from drinking wine.

If they would like to drink wine, they could buy it anyhow before 2 or after 5 PM.

Other people say that youngsters mostly don't drink wine, because it is more expense than beer or whiskey which you can buy around the corner.

And even other people say that wine is better than beer and whiskey.

Does anybody have more information on the background of this regulation?

Limbo loves a good glass of wine.