Farrang Market

ray23

Don't get to excited just playing with an idea of a farrang only market in Udon. I have pretty good idea or at least I think I do what Americans would enjoy having available. But there are so many nationalities in Udon one would really need to go beyond the knowledge I have. So I've noticed the forum has been slow lately and you guys are the best source I know.

So what would like to see stocked?

Don't get to excited just playing with an idea of a farrang only market in Udon. I have pretty good idea or at least I think I do what Americans would enjoy having available. But there are so many nationalities in Udon one would really need to go beyond the knowledge I have. So I've noticed the forum has been slow lately and you guys are the best source I know.

UHHHH ladies !!! :o

Look at the farang supplies available in the big supermarkets in Thailand. They have been in the business a long time and know what sells.

This way you may well sell to Thais as well as farang.

Main items on my shopping list.......

Decent mature cheddar cheese

Decent bread

Heinz baked beans

Oxo cubes

Decent bacon (not streaky)

You may also consider pre-packed meat and fish that at least gives the impression of being out of the reach of flies.

Would a traditional English sausage really be that much of a hit??

Something very easy for me to set up over there, but have never really given it much thought.

Being from Aberdeen, I would prefer a traditional SCOTTISH sausage, but nevermind!

When I came back to Scotland after 3 years in LOS it was the first thing I ate. A good meaty sausage that isn't too fatty and the meat hasn't been minced up too much. :o

I've bought a thing for filling sausages and I'll have to get some sausage skins in LOS, but I can't wait to get started.

Would a traditional English sausage really be that much of a hit??

Something very easy for me to set up over there, but have never really given it much thought.

Being from Aberdeen, I would prefer a traditional SCOTTISH sausage, but nevermind!

When I came back to Scotland after 3 years in LOS it was the first thing I ate. A good meaty sausage that isn't too fatty and the meat hasn't been minced up too much. :o

I've bought a thing for filling sausages and I'll have to get some sausage skins in LOS, but I can't wait to get started when I come back.

When I came back to Scotland after 3 years in LOS it was the first thing I ate.  A good meaty sausage that isn't too fatty and the meat hasn't been minced up too much.  :D

I've bought a thing for filling sausages and I'll have to get some sausage skins in LOS, but I can't wait to get started.

The hardest part is getting the seasoning right, and like you said, always use a coarse ground pork, fine grind just makes the sausage way to mushy like the economy ones in the supermarkets :o.

Here's a handy site for some hints and tips:

http://www.sausagemaking.co.uk

Good luck with your 1st attempt :D

Thanks for that. I've worked as a baker for a few years, so the years of pie and sausage roll making are finally going to pay off. I did get what was called "english breakfast sausages" which were just so processed it wasn't funny.

The one thing I will miss about Scotland is when you go to the butchers at the end of the week (especially this time of year) and the butcher has laid out all the special sausages and cut of meat for the weekend. One butcher near Aberdeen does some great pork and apricot bangers.

My wife loves the sausages here, but I hope her family do too.

My List

Good bread

Good Sausages

Proper English Mustard

Good Mushrooms

Heinz Baked Beans - why does no one sell this already???

Mince Lamb

Thank guys if yuo could include some brand names it would help. I have now found several whoelseelers of imported food. with the list that I can make from here the next step will be to go to Bangkok and see what I can find sources for.

Some I already have such a good steak good smoked bacon that is produced in this region. Suauges I have no idea, I get American Country sausage who makes his own, here and sahres with me.

Thare are four places here in Udon where you can find very limited farang foods, hence people make run to abngkok to buy the food they can't get here. So one on the primary goals is to stock those things they now have to go to Bangkok to get.

As my good friend Dom suggested ladies, no pitted black olives yes LOL

Thanks guys

The baked beans you can buy in Thailand are a lot tastier and bigger than Heinz, i alway bring a few cans back to the UK

That is of course a matter of personal taste.

The b beans I have tried in Thailand, are not haricot beans and the sauce is too sweet. Full of artificial sweeteners.

As I say tho, personal taste

The baked beans you can buy in Thailand are a lot tastier and bigger than Heinz, i alway bring a few cans back to the UK

That is of course a matter of personal taste.

The b beans I have tried in Thailand, are not haricot beans and the sauce is too sweet. Full of artificial sweeteners.

As I say tho, personal taste

I must have a sweet tooth, but they taste good, as you say we all have our personal taste.

one thing if I may lower the tone a little

I have never managed to find decent loo rolls in Thailand, so finding Andrex would have been great at one time.

The best that I have found, your fingers still go straight through

Not sure how Thai plumbing would cope though.

I wouldn't bother with them now as I am used to using a spray and now prefer it to paper.

Am a bit suprised that anyone would want Baked beans at all! Used to eat them before I first went to LOS over three years ago but haven't wanted them since.When I can get good tasty fresh cheap thai food my 'need' for things like that stopped dead.Yes, I still like a steak or pizza occasionally but burgers etc you can keep.As for toilet rolls never use them except as the Thais do on tables in restaurants.

Am a bit suprised that anyone would want Baked beans at all! Used to eat them before I first went to LOS over three years ago but haven't wanted them since.When I can get good tasty fresh cheap thai food my 'need' for things like that stopped dead.Yes, I still like a steak or pizza occasionally but burgers etc you can keep.As for toilet rolls never use them except as the Thais do on tables in restaurants.

I am much of the same mind as you, but many farang in Thailand NEVER eat Thai food.

The original poster was asking for suggestions re what farangs are likely to buy. He obviously couldn't count on you or me as a customer

You could sell Marmite....

Wouldn't bother with Vegemite though.. you might attract the wrong crowd...  :o

totster  :D

What`s wrong with vegemite?????? Us from the antipodies quite like the stuff hence the reason my parents gave me my name!

Ray: I dont know if it is possible but there are a good selection of frozen roast dinners available down under with chicken, pork, beef and lamb with gravy and roast potatoes and vegetables. Most of them are very good and easy to heat. Nothing like the old T.V. dinners. If you want brand names and maybe web sites Let me now and I will do some research.

All the best Nick.

You could sell Marmite....

Wouldn't bother with Vegemite though.. you might attract the wrong crowd...  :o

totster  :D

What`s wrong with vegemite?????? Us from the antipodies quite like the stuff hence the reason my parents gave me my name!

Ray: I dont know if it is possible but there are a good selection of frozen roast dinners available down under with chicken, pork, beef and lamb with gravy and roast potatoes and vegetables. Most of them are very good and easy to heat. Nothing like the old T.V. dinners. If you want brand names and maybe web sites Let me now and I will do some research.

All the best Nick.

Thanks Nick it's a slow process thus far, but I am making progress. I have located three foreign food importers thus far in Bangkok. Do you know the manufactors name of the products you are talking about. I have located some sauges from Australia, of course I have is idea if they are good or bad since it is not what I'm used to.

What I'm really trying to do is find those things people have to travel to Bangkok to get. This may turn out to be much more then I can do. Although I have friends offering me investment money already, darned if I know why.

I really appreciate all the ideas coming forth and I do follow up on them. If it turns out that this is beyond me I will be glad to turn any information I gain over to someone who can follow through with it. I truly believe there is a need in Issan these days that would make life her a little easier for ex pats.

So again

Thank you

You might find this site useful

http://geocities.com/simplesimons2004/

Thanks I checked out the site he certainly knows a lot more about that aspect of life then I do. I may take a trip down and see what I can learn. This far away I'm certainly not competion.

Thanks again

Edited by ray23

He deliver's all over thailand too the bar i drink in up in issan get sauages bacon etc from him.

RAB

Medicine for sick Buffaloes

Maps to the Orphanages

Kevlar vests

Lie detectors and those collars used to train dogs via electric shock and the remote control

...Just the basic necessities

Edited by Nam Kao

Medicine for sick Buffaloes

Maps to the Orphanages

Kevlar vests

Lie detectors and those collars used to train dogs via electric shock and the remote control

...Just the basic necessities

I want to specialize:

Medicine for sick buffalo available any ATM

Orphanages: See Above

Kevlar Vests all motorcycle shops carry the Thai models

Lie Detectors, Collars ask the Mama San at the Go Go's. All this is readily avialable I'm surpprised you had not found them yet. LOL