Argentina calls on Britain to refrain from holding military exercises in the Falklands

News_Editor

Buenos Aires was part of a Spanish colony, and the Bristish attacks were against the Spanish, nothing to do with Argentina, and nothing to do with the modern day territorial dispute over the Falklands.

I said that the British attacked BUENOS AIRES. I didn't mention Argentina. Did you miss that?

Yes you did:

"History indeed. A good point. In history, Britain attacked Buenos Aires but Argentina never attacked London. Argentinian's remember and you can't blame them. "

Oh yes, how do they remember something that happened 200 years ago?

Maybe us Brits should invade France in response to the Normans attacking Hastings 1000 years ago, because i still remember that as if it were only yesterday and it left a deep scare.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of you Brits sound so smug about this. You've got all of South America against you. That is not a fringe group of people.

Exactly, you are right.

In this point they are ignorant same as a certain North American nation, that equally sends their soldiers to are place far far from home and than cry foul when they find their final soldier destination over there.

How is "but Argentina never attacked London." not mentioning Argentina?

You twister. Nice try, no cigar. I said I never said Britain invaded Argentina. That's it. I didn't say I hadn't mentioned Argentina. Leave it be, you're wrong, at least about what I said and did not said. It's all there ... next .. and STOP this silliness.

Edited by Jingthing

Many of you Brits sound so smug about this. You've got all of South America against you. That is not a fringe group of people.

Exactly, you are right.

In this point they are ignorant same as a certain North American nation, that equally sends their soldiers to are place far far from home and than cry foul when they find their final soldier destination over there.

I don't understand the phrase -- when they find their final soldier destination over there.

In any case whatever you meant, please do not assume that all Americans approve of all American foreign policy. For example, Iraq, that has been a very unpopular war among Americans. It's too bad Britain had Bush's poodle before, yet another British foreign policy mistake.

Edited by Jingthing

Buenos Aires was part of a Spanish colony, and the Bristish attacks were against the Spanish, nothing to do with Argentina, and nothing to do with the modern day territorial dispute over the Falklands.

I said that the British attacked BUENOS AIRES. I didn't mention Argentina. Did you miss that?

Yes you did:

"History indeed. A good point. In history, Britain attacked Buenos Aires but Argentina never attacked London. Argentinian's remember and you can't blame them. "

Oh yes, how do they remember something that happened 200 years ago?

Maybe us Brits should invade France in response to the Normans attacking Hastings 1000 years ago, because i still remember that as if it were only yesterday and it left a deep scare.

They remember what they learned in school. Porteños especially. If you got the impression that I meant that they remembered from live experience, well, you're silly. Edited by Jingthing

But we have the Falkland Islanders with us. They wish to remain British.

Fair point. But I have a prediction. They are few. South Americans are many. Enough said.

Exactly, you are right.

I don't understand the phrase -- when they find their final soldier destination over there.

they get what they are came for.

final destination for a soldier = to become a hero!

2876k.jpg

ps: the hero thing. nothing i would recommend. if you wanna enjoy life - stay away from it.

Edited by SergeiY

You twister. Nice try, no cigar. I said I never said Britain invaded Argentina. That's it. I didn't say I hadn't mentioned Argentina. Leave it be, you're wrong, at least about what I said and did not said. It's all there ... next .. and STOP this silliness.

You're right. It's all there for folks to read.

You're right. It's all there for folks to read.

I said that already. You don't give it up, do you?

Fair point. But I have a prediction. They are few. South Americans are many. Enough said.

So might is right regardless of the wishes of the Falklanders?

So might is right regardless of the wishes of the Falklanders?

You mean the propaganda of some old colonialists?

Obama, being a "Kenyan anti-colonialist", I am sure will favor Argentina in any future conflict.

With bombing weeding parties in Afghanistan and arresting the whistler blower of war atrocities instead of giving them his nobel medal?

Delusional beliefs. US foreign policy don't have changed a bit with the new guy.

That the dad of the president isn't from America, doesn't give the USA the right to bomb around globally or demand the extradition of foreigners of a foreign state in another foreign state because this foreigner might had done a deal with some other foreigners. The ugly mindset of a global policeman is still there.

Btw. the better choice would be probably to stay neutral and not to favor the UK. That should be enough.

Jingthing

Despite giving you a history lesson above the shows conclusively that Argentina has no claim to the Falklands, you still say

I simply feel North America should show solidarity with South America on this issue, that is all.

Without any logical reason, without any legal reason. Now that is just silly.

The reason posters will not stop with you

I said that already. You don't give it up, do you?

Is that just occasionally with you, it would be nice when you get it wrong, just to have the balls to say, 'hey guys, sorry I got it wrong, I misunderstood the situation'.

But you just can't can you. I provided you with a complete breakdown to the course of events with the Falklands, any rational person would see that Argentina is playing the spoilt school child and has zero legitimate claim. But you conveniently *once again( seem to ignore the facts.

It is pointless engaging someone in debate, that does not have the capacity or capability to work through a problem rationally.

Possibly the fact that its full of 300 years worth of British citizens and has a charter from the time of George the 3rd is relevant here also the fact that Argentina never cried for it until WE found OIL there!! Have a think on the other swide of the coin Richard

If the situation were reversed and the Argentineans occupied the Channel Islands or Isles of Scilly for example, we as Brits would all be screaming blue murder.

Geographically I can't see how the British have any right to lay a claim to the Falkland Islands.

OMG, I didn't dispute the reports of the history here, I simply correctly asserted (check it if you like) that I never said that Britain invaded ARGENTINA. I did say that Britain invaded Buenos Aires, which it did. I also said that Argentina (which it is true did not exist at the same time that Britain invaded Buenos Aires but I never said it did) has never invaded London, which is true, they have never done that in history. If you check my posting record, I have admitted errors many, many times, but I won't on this thread on those points, because there was no error on these points by me. You seriously want me to apologize/confess for an error that I didn't make? That is silly.

Also, to be clear. Obama was born in the USA (my comment about that calling him a Kenyan anti-colonialist was meant to be SARCASTIC, duh). I never said the USA has always or usually been on the side of South Americans, or Central Americans, or even North Americans (Mexico is a North American nation). I personally wish the USA had been a better neighbor with all of the Americas though, and understand Argentinian resentment over the position Reagan took. I certainly do not represent US foreign policy now or in the past, or suggest my views reflect majority American opinion. For some things, like feeling the Iraq war was a big mistake, yes they do, but for Las Malvinas, they don't. Perhaps the "special relationship" US/UK has been a bit too special on BOTH SIDES; I certainly wish Tony Blair hadn't been such a poodle and had told GW Bush to bugger off about Iraq.

Yes it is true the Argies now want the oil. But there is more to it than this, and for a country like Britain which cynically raped much of the globe of its natural resources with colonialism, I don't quite see that being a position of the moral high ground.

About Cuba, I don't see Cuba being the same thing, as Cubans aren't a colony or overseas territory of a distant nation, they have for a long time been a sovereign nation. The USA has wanted Cuba to be in their sphere of influence though, that is true.

About the distance issue. There was an argument that Las Malvinas aren't very close to the Argie shore. OK, interesting, isn't that line of argument kind of admitting that if the islands WERE much closer, the Argie claim on them would be legitimate? If so, the argument then is what is close enough and what isn't, which again would indicate there is a legitimate Argie argument that they are indeed close enough.

Edited by Jingthing

OMG, I didn't dispute the reports of the history here, I simply correctly asserted (check it if you like) that I never said that Britain invaded ARGENTINA. I did say that Britain invaded Buenos Aires, which it did. I also said that Argentina (which it is true did not exist at the same time that Britain invaded Buenos Aires but I never said it did) has never invaded London, which is true, they have never done that in history. If you check my posting record, I have admitted errors many, many times, but I won't on this thread on those points, because there was no error on these points by me. You seriously want me to apologize/confess for an error that I didn't make? That is silly.

Also, to be clear. Obama was born in the USA. I never said the USA has always or usually been on the side of South Americans, or Central Americans, or even North Americans (Mexico is a North American nation). I personally wish the USA had been a better neighbor with all of the Americas though, and understand Argentinian resentment over the position Reagan took. I certainly do not represent US foreign policy now or in the past, or suggest my views reflect majority American opinion. For some things, like feeling the Iraq war was a big mistake, yes they do, but for Las Malvinas, they don't.

Yes it is true the Argies now want the oil. But there is more to it than this, and for a country like Britain which cynically raped much of the globe of its natural resources with colonialism, I don't quite see that being a position of the moral high ground.

About Cuba, I don't see Cuba being the same thing, as Cubans aren't a colony, they have for a long time been a sovereign nation. The USA has wanted Cuba to be in their sphere of influence though, that is true.

Jingthing,

you are a product yourself of Britains Global Colonialism. I do not know where your forefathers came from but I bet they were not Native Red Indians! you are living in a country that Britain colonised years ago.

actually, the people living on the Falklands have been there for 300 years, if another country wanted to take over now I think that is a bit off. think of it like this, what if the French or Spanish decided they wanted America all of a sudden?

The Falklands belong to England and that is final.

NEXT!

No, I am not a product of British colonialism. Don't take me for a Canuck. That mentality doesn't exist among Americans; it has been a long time now since the redcoats were expelled. As far as the issues concerning Las Malvinas being over, you are deluding yourselves. South America won't forget this, EVER, and now has some powerful nations with much more international clout such as Brazil (pro Argentina), Chile (pro Argentina, previously anti-Argentina), and of course Venezuela (very pro Argentina). Brazil of course being the most important.

I am at all surprised or bothered that some people are outraged by a pro Argentina position being taken here. If this was an Argentinian forum and someone supported the British on this, I expect the blowback would be even more toxic. Again, it shows there are indeed two sides here, but most of you have only been exposed to the pro UK propaganda on this.

Note -- hopefully this can someday be resolved PEACEFULLY. Don't take my support of Argentina as support for a new war.

Edited by Jingthing

Hands up all those who find jingthings comments to be inflamatory, racist and downright WRONG!! Can you give us your views of the Ireland situation you mention? lets see how good your history is -

Jingthings postings should be removed not other peoples

it has been a long time now since the redcoats were expelled.

When george Washington crossed the Delaware for winter camp he had 3500 men - 2700 of them were 1st and second generation ENGLISH - learn your facts - the American war of independance was a British civil war fought on American soil.

With regards to the falklands - we have a lot more claim to it than the US has to the parts of Mexico it conquered or the land it took from the native American Indians - your posts are a joke because you dont know history - but then Ronald "raygun" didnt know much when he ordered the invasion of central American countries in the 1980s - your a hypocrite!!

but most of you have only been exposed to the pro UK propaganda on this.

You have been given the historical facts about the Falklands, but as they dont match up with your deluded take on history you resort back to your left wing nature of insinuating others are stoopid or misinformed.

As for Obama and Clinton they are a disgrace backing Argentina when young British soldiers are dying fighting Americas wars.

Edited by Englander

Hands up all those who find jingthings comments to be inflamatory, racist and downright WRONG!! Can you give us your views of the Ireland situation you mention? lets see how good your history is -

Exactly.

Watch this first and learn the REAL HISTORY Joke People !!

Falklands 'is British' warns the Prime Minister

David Cameron has warned Argentina to give up any hope of taking over the Falkland Islands.

The PM delivered the hardline message to President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner in a G20 showdown this weekend.

It followed renewed efforts by Argentina to claim sovereignty over "Las Malvinas" at the UN last week amid rising speculation about off-shore oil.

A Downing Street aide said: "The PM is clear. Our position on the Falkland Islands has not and will not change."

Exactly.

It sounds like you don't want to hear the opposite side voiced, and you don't have the right to demand that.

Inflammatory? Only if you perceive any dissent from the majority in that way (that's your issue, not the dissenters). Racist? No, of course not, what a cheap shot. Wrong? Maybe, that's an opinion, there is no objective reality in a clash like this.

N. Ireland is off topic and no I won't get into that here.

If you have good cause to think a particular post violates the rules here, use the REPORT button.

Edited by Jingthing