Argentina calls on Britain to refrain from holding military exercises in the Falklands

News_Editor

Many of you Brits sound so smug about this. You've got all of South America against you. That is not a fringe group of people.

But we have the Falkland Islanders with us. They wish to remain British.

Fair point. But I have a prediction. They are few. South Americans are many. Enough said.

And there is so much solidarity between the South Americans.. Not that it's a democratic decision outside of the islands.

Did you know that Chile offered the use of their naval bases to the British during the Falklands war?

Edited by tw25rw

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure in all Argentinian courts, they would judge Argentinian rule of the islands LEGAL.

Oh for Gods sake! BUT IT CANNOT BE LEGAL! THEY HAVE NEVER EVER OWNED IT!!

They tried to claim it as part of the Spanish Colony, which was huge, but the Brits had the Falklands. International waters start 12 Miles of a countries coastline. The Falklands is 250 miles from Argentina, it is unlikely the 'natives' even knew of it's existence, and when Argentina became Argentina it was known of and wanted as part of Spanish booty. The Argentinians had never been there, they even sent an American to go and claim it. I can't make it simpler. It has been thought for years it was rich in resources, hence the 1982 debacle, and now they are starting again, no doubt confident with the dwindling UK military and the support both overt and covert from the USA.

The islands were part of the Spanish territory ruled from Beunos Aires. So when Argentina acheived independence, naturally they inherited the territorial claim over the islands.

If it was just a case that who was there prior should on them, then they have a strong case. But Britain acquired them in the context of a war with Spain and have never seen reason to give them back.

The Argentinian effort to retake them was a last ditch effort of a failing military government who were also making half baked efforts to assert territorial claims against Chile.

It was not the war of the Malvinas, It was the war of the Falklands. I find it disrespectful of those people who burn the stars and stripes, I find it equally disrespectful when you replace the Union flag with that of the Argentinian flag.

Malvinas is the Spanish derivative of the original French name for the islands: Les Malouines.. The first settlers came from St Malo.. The French still call them that too.

Many of you Brits sound so smug about this. You've got all of South America against you. That is not a fringe group of people.

But we have the Falkland Islanders with us. They wish to remain British.

Fair point. But I have a prediction. They are few. South Americans are many. Enough said.

And there is so much solidarity between the South Americans.. Not that it's a democratic decision outside of the islands.

Did you know that Chile offered the use of their naval bases to the British during the Falklands war?

Yes, I am indeed aware that Chile has changed their position on this (it is referred to by me on this very thread). Before they favored the British on this issue, NOW they favor Argentina, just like ALL of South America.

Perhaps now, leaders of the "Red Indians" the original territory owners, should make a request at the UN in New York to get their land back, after all it was stolen from them in a violent manner, and then order the melting pot of the American population to leave America and return to the countries of their forefathers, they would then perhaps also demand adequate payments in order to get compensation for the killing of all the buffalo's they had ... What !.

Was that supposed to be humorous? If so, nope.

Is up to you to decide, are you able to ? ... if so, reach conclusion.

In the statement, the Foreign Ministry said a formal protest has been sent to the British Embassy, and warned that any military exercise could create an arms race in the region.

'Any military exercise' probably only refers to the one planned by the UK. I don't see why that would create an arms race in that region.

Assuming there is, can someone here explain the logic of the quoted statement ?

Perhaps now, leaders of the "Red Indians" the original territory owners, should make a request at the UN in New York to get their land back, after all it was stolen from them in a violent manner, and then order the melting pot of the American population to leave America and return to the countries of their forefathers, they would then perhaps also demand adequate payments in order to get compensation for the killing of all the buffalo's they had ... What !.

One of my forefathers bought Manhattan from the locals and the Perfidious Albion took it from us. We fought a few wars, took it back but in the end had to relinquish the area of New Netherlands.

Where do I go to reclaim it?

One of my forefathers bought Manhattan from the locals and the Perfidious Albion took it from us. We fought a few wars, took it back but in the end had to relinquish the area of New Netherlands.

The corner bar.

The corner bar.

Is it hand pulled draft beer? or is the outflow activated by CO2..the latter would not be appreciative.

Edited by personchester

Would be interested to know your point of view on Israel being dismantled and handed back to its rightfiul owners.

Wonder what views such liberal thinkers as Obama and Hilary have on the matter.

I am not a product of Zionist American propoganda so may have a differing opinion on those who are.

Glad to talk about such topics on any threads related to Israel and Palestine. Not this one.

Think you have been in Thailand too long, they call it conflict avoidance.

Strange attitude seeing as you introduced N.Ireland into the discussion, not in any way influenced by your views on Kennedy rather than histroical facts are we?

Never mind trust you arent a product of the Hollywood versions of world history, buts thats a discussion for another thread, how John Wayne saved the free world from those nastie commies. How Chuck Norris sorted the VC out, dare say I could go on, but others have already pointed out an alternative version of events than is probably taught in the American schooling system.

Your characterization of my political views is absurd. You are talking about some kind of brainwashed kind of American that is a figment of your imagination, nothing at all to do with me.

Far from a figment of my imagination, based on working alongside Americans for 15 years, your postings do little to prove me wrong.

Then again its easier to attack the poster rather than the post, understandable really.

I do get the message. You Brits do want to hold onto to those remote islands and pitiful remnant of your once great empire, especially now that the oil thing is going on. Good luck with that. To the victor go the spoils ...

Good, you get it!

NEXT

I do get the message. You Brits do want to hold onto to those remote islands and pitiful remnant of your once great empire, especially now that the oil thing is going on. Good luck with that. To the victor go the spoils ...

Good, you get it!

NEXT

You wore me down. The flesh is weak.

But the Dutch got to keep what became Suriname..

Yes, I am indeed aware that Chile has changed their position on this (it is referred to by me on this very thread). Before they favored the British on this issue, NOW they favor Argentina, just like ALL of South America.

South America don't get to vote on the matter.. Just like the whole world cares about US elections but don't get to vote in them.

South America don't get to vote on the matter.. Just like the whole world cares about US elections but don't get to vote in them.

What does voting have to do with this conflict? Only in Argentina and the UK would that be an issue. A UK politician of course can't favor Argentinian takeover of the islands, and vice versa in Argentina. Perhaps academic but in the fullness of time it seems clear to me Argentina will have the islands.

I don't detect much interest in holding on to empire, just a strong desire to put jumped up foreigners in their place if thgey come looking for a fight..

There is neither the collective will or military capacity among the South American nations to remove the British from the islands.

What does voting have to do with this conflict? Only in Argentina and the UK would that be an issue. A UK politician of course can't favor Argentinian takeover of the islands, and vice versa in Argentina. Perhaps academic but in the fullness of time it seems clear to me Argentina will have the islands.

It would be a time when Britain's military was seriously weakened or Britain saw it as advantageous to let them go.

The overriding concern, as far as I am concerned, is what the inhabitants of the islands want; and they want to remain British.

Strange how some Americans consider the will of the people to be irrelevant when they disagree with that will!

Ever wonder why the flag of Hawaii has the Union Flag incorporated into it? It's because it was a British protectorate before being annexed by the US. Using the 'logic' expounded by Jingthing the US should give it back to us; despite that probably being against the wishes of the majority of Hawaiians, certainly those who want independence from the USA!

The same 'logic' demands that Texas and California be returned to Mexico.

All three of which ignore the claims of the original inhabitants. At least the Falklands were uninhabited when the Europeans first came.

I was wound up by you for a few hours - now i just got your true picture - a pretty unintelligent wind up merchant who doesnt believe a word he posts himself but wants to enflame other people Your lack of factual content and downright disregard for your own culture really makes any opinion you have a joke. You dont consider other peoples views and are so blinkered as to reject anything but your own small minded wind up views. How can you say that Washingtons army is not relevant in a conversation about Washingtons army - unintelligent in the extreme i feel. You just didnt get it did you - They were British people fighting for themselves AGAINST the King. Anyway - I got told of for my extreme views in reply to your rubbish statements and tried to have a sensible conversation with you. You clearly showed yourself unable to reciprocate - that means return the compliment - so i give up - its official - I wish a local bulldozer success in making the map of your street make more sense!!

REPORT GRADE: F COMMENT - unintelligent in the extreme

Washington led a revolutionary movement. We were a British colony back then. Washington had soldiers loyal to the revolution and the redcoats were British soldiers, correct, if not, do tell. The original national background of Washington's army is not relevant I. , as they weren't fighting for Britain in that conflict. Of course there were many British sympathizers in the colonies who didn't support the revolution, and many of them went to Canada.

Where did you get the idea that I approve of all American foreign policy, currently or throughout history? I don't think either Brits or Argies can usually be objective on this Las Malvinas matter, but as an outsider to the active sides, personally I find the Argies side more compelling and I wish them success in future of making the map of South America make more sense.

NOt only is he anti British and VERY RACIST but hes also a traitor to his own country USA - dont you get it JINGTHING _ EVERYONE on here is against you - doesnt that tell you something - maybe your WRONG!! If you cant consider that - then you clearly show your own stance on democracy and are not really worth talking to. The USA doesnt share your views on British soveriegnty of the Falklands luckily neither do most Americans - MOST Americans love the British for being their closest ally for a hundred years - GOOD JOB THERE ARENT MORE LIKE YOU!! But then I feel sorry for you - no friends - no country maybe youre cut out for a life in Pakistan!! Bring in a topic then refuse to discuss it - just a wind up merchant with no intelligent contribution to make - doesnt realise the whole board including people from countries other than the UK are all thinking the same!!!

Sad individual - very sad

Again, things can and do change over time. I think Gibraltar and Las Malvinas are different cases and likely different future outcomes.

BTW, your wasting your time trying to troll bait me into a discussion about Ireland. I mentioned that as an example and aside, and never intended to spark a detailed discussion. So don't bother.

I get your legal/historical argument. I am sure it has merit. However, on the macro level the historical drive of South Americans to expel all colonialists ain't chopped liver either, and overall, they won that fight. Argentina wants to finish it.

post-37101-075858800 1286793088_thumb.jp

Simón José Antonio de la Santísima Trinidad Bolívar y Palacios

Don't make me out to be some kind of traitor to Britain when I have no allegiance to Britain. Much of the side taking on this issue is based on affinity anyway. Brits I would assume are almost all for The Falkands being British. South Americans are almost all for Las Malvinas being Argentinian. I feel a greater affinity towards South Americans than Brits, sorry if that is a problem for some of you.

I do realize Britain (stupidly) acted the USA poodle in Iraq. I really wish you hadn't!

Hands up all those who find jingthings comments to be inflamatory, racist and downright WRONG!! Can you give us your views of the Ireland situation you mention? lets see how good your history is -

Jingthings postings should be removed not other peoples

Well said.

Jingthing should watch this a few times.

Your lack of understanding of Latin American rivalries is amazing. The public statements made by some politicians do not reflect the intense animosity some countries express towards each other, and the one country South Americans love to hate is Argentina. Sort of like how it's a national past time for tea party followers in the USA to blame Mexico for everything.

Edited by geriatrickid

7by7

Ever wonder why the flag of Hawaii has the Union Flag incorporated into it? It's because it was a British protectorate before being annexed by the US. Using the 'logic' expounded by Jingthing the US should give it back to us; despite that probably being against the wishes of the majority of Hawaiians, certainly those who want independence from the USA!

The same 'logic' demands that Texas and California be returned to Mexico.

You present a relevant and compelling argument against Jingthing's diatribe, as I also tried to compare the logic of his argument with the 'theft' of the land that is now the United States. However, if anything becomes intellectually threatening and looks like making his argument silly, Jingthing adopts one of a couple of tactics, he says you are 'silly' or something along the lines of 'We are not talking about Hawai, or Texas or the US, we are talking about Las Malvinhas'!, thereby casting any time and effort you have spent trying to reason with him and his one-sided obscure logic firmly in the bin. He even uses separate one line posts to answer each individual instead of wrapping them up in one single post, I guess this is how you maintain racking up a post count in excess of 20 thousand and satisfying what appears to be some form of compulsive disorder! I can only conclude that Jingthing is the Troll King, as Ianbaggle appears to have realised in his posts above.

Ian

He is unintelligent but probably sits giggling to himself that he has managed to wind you up. As you said, very sad.

I (think I) understand the emotional aspect regarding the Falklands. The Falklanders want to stay British, lots of Brits support that. Now I'm only wondering how much this costs the taxpayer and does he know it? Or are these Isles self-sufficient ?

This being an ANGLO board, I understood I was talking the position here of a very small minority of people, just as on an Argie board, the majority would be gung ho against the British. However, y'all have taken the personal attacks to an extreme, almost like there is a blood lust to murder more ill equipped Argies.

post-37101-048953700 1286860772_thumb.jp

It's an emotional issue. Minds don't usually get easily changed about such issues. Also note, I have never represented my views as reflecting majority American views in any way, it's funny how some people got confused about that.

BTW, what did I say here to indicate to you that I am a racist? In case you didn't know, Argentinians are mostly of EUROPEAN descent, so this conflict is for the most part, white people vs. white people. Race differences doesn't come into play in the conflict at all.

Edited by Jingthing

The only bllodlust i see on here is directed at YOU by the vast majority of posters. Interesting how you doctored your post to remove statements that even YOU would see as ridiculous - such as - I do not represent the views of most Americans "dam_n right Yall ". Most of your posts are only representative of the local "loony bin". You even state in your previous posts that you "dont particularly like America and its policies" So is it possible that your just a wandering hobo hoping to be taken in by a South American country that happens to feel sorry for you? One last thing - Argentina has a very large white contingent - though it is mostly Spanish because bacause it was once a BRITISH protectorate colony. That was before we HELPED Argentina to create its own state and even FUNDED IT!!

Y'all have a good ole day now bo'!!

This being an ANGLO board, I understood I was talking the position here of a very small minority of people, just as on an Argie board, the majority would be gung ho against the British. However, y'all have taken the personal attacks to an extreme, almost like there is a blood lust to murder more ill equipped Argies.

It's an emotional issue. Minds don't usually get easily changed about such issues. Also note, I have never represented my views as reflecting majority American views in any way, it's funny how some people got confused about that.

BTW, what did I say here to indicate to you that I am a racist? In case you didn't know, Argentinians are mostly of EUROPEAN descent, so this conflict is for the most part, white people vs. white people. Race differences doesn't come into play in the conflict at all.

I have not once, not ever, represented that all of my political views are representative of majority American views. So I don't even understand the nauseating mocking tone of that last post, it doesn't make any sense at all.

On some specific issues though, they do, as the majority of Americans have felt for years now that the Iraq war was a big mistake as of course I do as well. That's a big reason Obama was elected by a big margin.

Of course Americans are very grateful for the British support in the Iraq war, even for a mistake of a war. I am as well, I just wish they hadn't supported a mistake. Personally, I think the world would have been much better off without EITHER Bush OR Blair after 9/11.

Argentina has many immigrant groups of course, but you didn't mention a very major one -- ITALIANS.

Bloodlust, eh? Against people simply for favoring the Argentinians in their anti-colonial aspirations? That's disturbing.

Edited by Jingthing