BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
cdnvic

Images Of Chiang Rai 2005-2012

That's nice, I enjoy a good sunset photo. Could I ask what camera you used?

My old camera died so I got a Sony H7 recently. Not a real SLR but very light and has a monster zoom. Lots of settings to play with and the case makes it easy to put on a belt when biking or hiking. Not for the purist but it works for me.

Nice camera, that's really some zoom isn't it.

I recently bought a Ricoh Caplio R5 after reading very good reviews but it hasn't quite lived up to expectations. Some times the colors are a bit ordinary and it's virtually useless in bad light. (A common digital camera fault).

I really need to sit down with the book; but you know the old adage, only read the instructions after all else fails.

Another thing that make life easy for me is iPhoto. It has gotten good enough recently that I have little need of PS anymore. As you know all digital shots need a bit of sharpening as a bare minimum and the easier it is to adjust a picture the better in my opinion.

Between emergencies on site I walk around taking pictures of the bugs and things that seem to like the surroundings.

Went for a walk today and took a few new shots of my favorite place. On the way back from the reservoir I caught a neighbor in the act of cutting down a tree in his rubber tree plantation. He said hello to me from the treetop.

The sticky rice hasn't started to show yet but Jasmine rice is in bloom.

A view of our pond and the fields beyond.

Edited by villagefarang

Hey, Village Farang, just saw your bug shots! Great!

Here's some of mine taken with my old Kodak EasyShare.

And a bug hunter.

post-38081-1192501125_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1192501226_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1192501312_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1192501413_thumb.jpg

A free hen house – mountain style:

My “wife” of 5 years, Muay (Nasu Lahu-na), hasn’t much book-learning, but does have another kind – one perhaps becoming too rapidly lost. She can do things with her hands, making something very good from very little. This building project isn’t finished yet, but we do hope for fresh eggs sometime soon!

post-21523-1192587663_thumb.jpg

post-21523-1192587675_thumb.jpg

post-21523-1192587690_thumb.jpg

post-21523-1192587702_thumb.jpg

post-21523-1192587721_thumb.jpg

post-21523-1192587731_thumb.jpg

post-21523-1192587742_thumb.jpg

post-21523-1192587755_thumb.jpg

post-21523-1192587767_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, Village Farang, just saw your bug shots! Great!

Here's some of mine taken with my old Kodak EasyShare.

And a bug hunter.

Can't top your moth shot but I have a couple more bug shots for you.

The mountains in the distance are getting harder to see these days. But as you can see there is still some good light around sunset. Love sitting on my deck this time of day as it is so beautiful and restful. This morning was quite cool. Feels like winter.

Fleecy lined pyjamas have appeared in my house, a sure sigh of a temperature drop.

The last wet day. But the wife's brother saves water and time by multi-tasking.

post-38081-1192672202_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1192672493_thumb.jpg

As long as we are showing Thai guys working in their underwear, here are a couple more.

Impressed with Village Farang’s mantis photo, I just had to run out and, being a competitive guy (just kidding!), get one myself. This guy showed up on our outdoor kitchen blue-nylon netting, where I didn’t think he was doing himself any good, despite all the ants that come there… Recently, on the other side of the house, a small nest of red jakataan dahm-cow were born. At first I thought them red ants, with big butts up in the air, but then realized that they weren’t moving – very strange behavior for them! So I looked closer, and there was the distinctive head, with four legs and the ‘praying’ arms.

Same color as red ants! They stayed a day or two, then moved on…

post-21523-1192852840_thumb.jpg

Was loading pictures into the computer and felt like sharing so here are a few recent shots.

Here's a photo of the finished hen-houses (I've was away between Thanksgiving and Christmas):

oh, we got one egg already! but it was laid in one of those saggy canvas chairs...

post-21523-1199413815_thumb.jpg

Great pics. They're not burning the rice straw here this year but plowing most of it back in and getting ready for a second rice crop.

I suppose they must have the extra water for it in the dams in the mountains as the second crop is usually maize or soy beans.