BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
cdnvic

Images Of Chiang Rai 2005-2012

"They're not burning the rice straw here this year but plowing most of it back in and getting ready for a second rice crop."

that's great news! Burning in the hills is now being governmentally discouraged, but taking place nevertheless.

Plowing is mush more difficult, and doens't reduce insects - but there are lots more "quai lek" "iron oxen" now, and bigger machines too (which I fail to see how can really turn a profit).

My personal observation is that they burn one season, sell the straw the second and plow it in the third.

The fields next to my house were once locally owned and immaculately maintained. The rice was always threshed by machine.

The land is now owned by a Bangkok company and maintenance of the terraces is minimal and everything to do with rice growing except the plowing is done by hand.

The other night, on the loudspeaker, the Village Headman was going on about the evils of burning. As he was talking I was watching others starting fires in the fields. Any warnings are seen as a sign that they had better hurry up and get the burning done while they can.

On my bike rides I have seen some rice fields that look like gardens but around here they are minimalist in design and function. Big, nicely maintained terraces make the work too hard. Small and messy is easier to drive over with trucks and tractors as well as controlling water flow.

As for turning a profit, if they had to buy the land it would take a lifetime to pay for it by farming rice. Around here most homesteaded the land and sell off parts of it as need demands. Rice farming just seems to be traditional but unprofitable. They do other things to make money.

I conscripted an idle nephew-in-law this morning and we took the dog and the camera up a nearby hill that the lad assured me was infested with ghosts. "Phee mak mak".

I took a few photos of the Stupa and the excellent reclining Buddha. The third photo is where the ghosts live.

post-38081-1201409811_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1201409844_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1201409870_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the last photo, the phee must have fiddled with my camera.

Here's two more I took of the same spot.

post-38081-1201441049_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1201441084_thumb.jpg

Visa run went well yesterday and I'm good till next year. These guys were very helpful. Also including a picture of the fish in my pond (at least in my dreams).

Here are some of Lannaman's photos in and around Chiang Rai over the last few years.

post-42984-1219739514_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice, lannaman!

Link to the first photo on your 2nd post is broken; couldn't enlarge. What is the little girl with the quixotic expression holding in the cage?

Thanks again!

I'm posting it again, I don't know why it didn't enlarge, hope luckier this time.

The little girl had a caged robin and was asking $1 to release it. There were a lot of tourists forking out dollars so she was doing OK. Actually this shot was taken in Laos outside the cave just before Luang Prabang, all the others WERE in Chiang Rai!

post-42984-1219792966_thumb.jpg

No worries, probably won't enlarge because it's a small file size.

Thanks for the explanation about the girl!

PS Is the robin trained to fly back after being released? Just kidding, I'll be getting my coat now.... :o