Rescue capsule being moved into position to free Chilean miners

News_Editor

Rescue capsule being moved into position to free Chilean miners

2010-10-13 06:57:23 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEAR COPIAPO, CHILE (BNO NEWS) -- Rescuers on Tuesday night began to move a capsule into position at the San José copper-gold mine in northern Chile, just a couple of hours before the start of the rescue operation to free 33 miners who have been trapped there for 69 days.

Chilean mining minister Laurence Golborne said some more tests are still needed before the start of the rescue operation. He said three lines of communication need to be established -- one with the miner being rescued, another with the miners' refuge and another between the triage and the medic.

Rescuers will first send down the Phoenix capsule on a slow descent while carrying a rescuer in order to get a report on the escape shaft. Then the Phoenix capsule will go down again, this time without anyone in it, at a higher rate of speed.

If both tests are carried out successfully, the first rescuer will go down to start the rescue operation at around 10.00 p.m local time (0100 GMT on Wednesday).

After the journey to freedom, the miners will be checked by a medical team outside the mine and then transfered by helicopter to a hospital in Copiapo.

The 33 Chilean miners have been trapped about 700 meters (2,300 feet) underground since August 5, when a part of the mine collapsed.

"I know tonight there will be tears of happiness in all Chilean homes. We made a promise to never surrender, and we kept it," Chilean President Sebastian Piñera said earlier in the afternoon. "We have learned from this accident [...] this story that started as a possible tragedy. I hope it will end as a real blessing," Piñera added.

The rescue operation to rescue the miners is expected to last up to two days.

U.S. President Barack Obama also commented on the rescue operation. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the brave miners, their families, and the men and women who have been working so hard to rescue them," he said. "While that rescue is far from over and difficult work remains, we pray that by God’s grace, the miners will be able to emerge safely and return to their families soon."

Obama said the United States is also proud of the Americans who have been working with Chilean officials on the ground to help bring the trapped miners home.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-13