FACTBOX -- Scheduled order of rescue for the Chilean miners

News_Editor

FACTBOX -- Scheduled order of rescue for the Chilean miners

2010-10-13 07:41:35 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEAR COPIAPO, CHILE (BNO NEWS) -- Rescuers on Tuesday night began to move a capsule into position at the San José copper-gold mine in northern Chile, just a couple of hours before the start of the rescue operation to free 33 miners who have been trapped there for 69 days.

The following is the scheduled, preliminary order of rescue for the Chilean miners.

GROUP 1

1. Florencio Avalos Silva, 31, is trapped along with his brother, Renan. He became known as the cameraman during the ordeal as he filmed videos of the miners to be sent to rescuers and relatives at the surface.
  2. Mario Sepulveda Espinace, 40, has assumed the role of spokesman for the miners and has appeared on camera for videos sent to the surface.
  3. Juan Illanes Palma, 52, is an electrical mechanic who served as a corporal for Chile in its conflicts with Argentina.
  4. Carlos Mamani Solis, 23, is the only non-Chilean man who is trapped in the mine. Solis, who is Bolivian, had begun working at the mines only a few days before the disaster happened. Reports say he has decided to never again work in a mine.

GROUP 2

1. Jimmy Sanchez Laguez, 19, is the youngest miner to be trapped. He works as an environmental assistant who - in his correspondences with his family - said he is looking forward to seeing his mother again (and enjoy her cooking).
  2. Osman Araya Araya, 30, is a carrier pigeon handler of San Vicente.
  3. José Ojeda Vidal, 46, was originally a master driller but now serves as the secretary for the miners. He is reportedly on medication for diabetes.
  4. Claudio Yañez Lagos, 34, is a carrier pigeon handler who was originally a drill operator. His longtime girlfriend is now his fiancé after she proposed to him through a letter as he was trapped underground. They plan to marry when he surfaces.
  5. Mario Gomez Heredia, 63, is the oldest of the miners. He has been mining since he was only 12 years old and became one of the group's spiritual leaders. He requested a crucifix and statuettes of saints so the miners could construct a shrine underground.
  6. Alex Vega Salazar, 31, is a heavy-machinery mechanic whose father is also a mining veteran. His hometown is Copiapo.
  7. Jorge Galleguillos Orellana, 56, is a carrier pigeon handler who is on medication for hypertension and concerns have been raised over his health after he said he felt unwell.
  8. Edison Peña Villarroel, 34, is an Elvis fan of Santiago who sent a request for his music to be sent down the mine and has led the group in singalongs.
  9. Carlos Barrios Contreras, 31, is a foreman of Tierra Amarilla.
  10. Victor Zamora Bugueño, 33, is a carrier pigeon handler and poet. He and his wife are expecting a daughter in about six months, which they plan to call Paz Victoria (Peace Victory).
  11. Victor Segovia Rojas, 48, has kept a journal throughout the experience and has been referred to as "the writer" of the group. His writing has kept rescuers up-to-date about the well-being of the miners.
  12. Daniel Herrera Campos, 27, is of Marchigue and originally worked at the mine as a truck driver. However, after the accident, he has taken on the duties of a paramedic assistant.

GROUP 3

1. Omar Reygadas Rojas, 56, is a foreman of Copiapo who was originally a bulldozer operator before the disaster happened.
  2. Esteban Rojas Carrizo, 44, is a carrier pigeon handler who asked his wife to renew their vows after he is rescued.
  3. Pablo Rojas Villacorta, 45, is a carrier pigeon handler of Copiapo who is tasked with helping oversee the coming and going of packages to the mine. He has worked at the mine for approximately six months.
  4. Dario Antonio Segovia Rojo, 48, is a carrier pigeon handler of Copiapo. Odd enough, his father has also been trapped in a mine in the past. That ordeal lasted about a week.
  5. Yonny Barrios Rojas, 50, has assumed the role of chief paramedic because of his nursing experience. He has gained the nickname "Dr. House", referring to the main character of the U.S. television series "House."
  6. Samuel Avalos Acuña, 43, is a gas monitor from Rancagua. He has been sending readings to the ground.
  7. Carlos Bugueño Alfaro, 27, is a carrier pigeon handler who helped oversee the sending and receiving of packages to the mine during his shift. Alfaro, who is of Copiapo, worked in the mines with his childhood friend Pedro Cortez Contreras.
  8. José Henriquez Gonzalez, 54, is a spiritual leader who has 33 years of experience working in mines. Being a religious leader, Gonzalez has been able to keep spirits up.
  9. Renán Avalos Silva, 29, is a carrier pigeon handler who is trapped with his brother, Florencio.
  10. Claudio Acuña Cortés, 34, is a foreman of Copiapo.
  11. Franklin Lobos Ramirez, 53, is an electrician of Copiapo.
  12. Richard Villarroel Godoy, 27, is a mechanic of Coyhaique who spent two years at the mine.
  13. Carlos Aguilar Gaete Juan, 49, is a mechanic from the mining town of Los Lagos. He serves as a supervisor for one of the three work shifts at the mine.
  14. Raul Bustos Ibañez, 40, is a foreman of Talcahuano. He came to the mine to escape the aftermath of an earthquake and has been tasked with overseeing the water supply system after the collapse.
  15. Pedro Cortez Contreras, 25, is an acoustics expert who joined the mine at the same time of Carlos Bugueno, who is his childhood friend. Bugueno is also trapped.
  16. Ariel Ticona Yañez, 29, was trapped underground as his wife gave birth to a girl named Esperanza, or Hope. He was able to see it secondhand, by video.
  17. Luis Urzúa Iribarren, 54, is the shift foreman. When first contact was made with the miners, Iribarren was the first to be heard, saying: "We are well and hoping that you will rescue us."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-13