First Chilean miner rescued after historic rescue operation

News_Editor

First Chilean miner rescued after historic rescue operation

2010-10-13 10:17:52 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEAR COPIAPO, CHILE (BNO NEWS) -- In one of the most complex rescue operations in history, 31-year-old Chilean miner Florencio Avalos Silva safely reached the surface on late Tuesday evening to end more than two months of being trapped deep underground.

Hundreds of millions of people in Chile and around the world were glued to television screens as Avalos exited his rescue capsule after it reached the surface, where he was welcomed by loud applause and cheers of joy.

The crisis began on August 5 when a part of the San José copper-gold mine in northern Chile collapsed, leaving 33 miners trapped 700 meters (2,300 feet) underground. More than two weeks later, relatives and rescue workers were shocked but relieved to find that the miners had survived and were in a good condition.

Over the next two months, rescue workers drilled several holes to eventually lower a capsule down to evacuate the miners one by one. It was a process that was initially expected to take until Christmas, if not longer, but was already completed last week.

The operation will now continue as 32 miners remain trapped underground. The next miner to be evacuated is 40-year-old Mario Sepulveda Espinace. It could take up to Thursday before all miners have been freed.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-13

This is wonderful news and a great example of how to setting reasonable public objectives then smashing them can make your country (or, more specifically, government) look good. Nothing to be taken away from the greatness of this moment for each and every 1 of those miners and their families (I know just how glad I am that I am not one of them). I just hope more politicians will learn from this world-class P.R. management.