Celebrations erupt across Chile as first men emerge from mine

News_Editor

Celebrations erupt across Chile as first men emerge from mine

2010-10-13 11:24:36 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEAR COPIAPO, CHILE (BNO NEWS) -- In one of the most complex rescue operations in history, two of thirty-three Chilean miners safely reached the surface on early Wednesday morning to end more than two months of being trapped deep underground.

Hundreds of millions of people in Chile and around the world were glued to television screens as 31-year-old Florencio Avalos Silva exited his rescue capsule after it reached the surface, where he was welcomed by loud applause and cheers of joy.

"The first miner has been rescued in a manner which really does make every Chilean feel proud," said Chilean President Sebastián Piñera after Avalos was rescued. "We still have a long way to go," he cautioned, adding that rescue workers will not stop until every miner has been rescued.

Avalos was welcomed by Piñera and scores of rescue workers but also by his wife, Monica. His son, Laino, who was also there, began crying as his father's capsule reached the surface.

Celebrations erupted across the South American country after Avalos safely reached the surface. Piñera said October 13th will never be forgotten by Chileans the people around the world.

Avalos was taken away by a medical team for a precautionary health check and will later be transfered by helicopter to a hospital in Copiapo, not far from the mine where the disaster took place.

Meanwhile, as Avalos was greeted, the rescue capsule was lowered again to pick up 40-year-old Mario Sepulveda Espinace. About an half an hour later, he too reached the surface and handed out rocks from the mine as gifts.

Now two miners have been rescued, the operation will continue to rescue the 31 other miners who are still trapped underground. It could take up to Wednesday night or early Thursday to complete the operation.

And while Chile began to celebrate during the early morning hours, officials around the world also expressed their joy of the successful rescue that was broadcast live across the globe. "Amazing, exciting, the rescue of the miners," said Mexican President Felipe Calderón. "Viva Chile! Hope to any man that he can overcome any difficulty!"

Philip P.J. Crowley, the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, also expressed his joy for the successful rescue operation. "Congratulations to Chile for the successful rescue of the first miner," he said. "What a remarkable display of hope and skill."

Earlier during the evening, U.S. President Barack Obama also commented on the rescue operation. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the brave miners, their families, and the men and women who have been working so hard to rescue them," he said. "While that rescue is far from over and difficult work remains, we pray that by God’s grace, the miners will be able to emerge safely and return to their families soon."

Obama said the United States is also proud of the Americans who have been working with Chilean officials on the ground to help bring the trapped miners home.

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger also welcomed the first rescues. "President Piñera has been a strong leader in this time of crisis, leading this massive effort that we have seen on television every night," he said. "He has worked to get the best of the best on the ground to assist with this rescue, and I know they will continue to fight to bring all 33 of these miners into the arms of their loved ones. Maria and I, on behalf of all Californians, continue to hope and pray that every one of these miners emerges safely."

The crisis began on August 5 when a part of the San José copper-gold mine in northern Chile collapsed, leaving 33 miners trapped 700 meters (2,300 feet) underground. More than two weeks later, relatives and rescue workers were shocked but relieved to find that the miners had survived and were in a good condition.

Over the next two months, rescue workers drilled several holes to eventually lower a capsule down to evacuate the miners one by one. It was a process that was initially expected to take until Christmas, if not longer, but was already completed last week.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-13