Visa Overstay Issues Causes Confusion

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like alot of back tracking on P1 part. also the fact they have started to criticize there reader base, i will certainly be avoiding there news at all cost not that i have even bothered to read anything bar what was said in tv about the overstay! I left bangkok last week with 6 months overstay and nothing was even said or done, when asking the officials they hadnt arrested anyone or new of a tighter policy change!

Really? Could you please post a copy of your airline ticket and overstay receipt? A redacted copy if necessary.

Thanks.

Greetings johnefallis,

I will look forward to reading your 'take' on TV in the near future of the posters speedily submitted evidence that, in my humble opinion, constitutes a very usual(UN) and, thus quite bizarre claim of total clemency by BKK Immigration.

Should said air-ticket and re-dacted visa stamp be unavailable, I will of course understand.

rgdz from

Brewsta

overstaying is a bad habit...you can be blacklisted by Immigration....and it does happen

Ripping off tourists and Expats is a bad habit,...that should get more attention. Overstayers aren't doing anything that affects anyone at all.

Then:

“Equally, at no point did Pattaya One ever claim there had been a change in the law or the penalties had become harsher.”...

You know what? They are right. They did not say the penalties had become harsher. This is what they said:

For many years now it has been

possible for people on long overstay to

simply gather together the maximum fine

under law of 20,000 baht, purchase an

air ticket, travel to Suvarnabhumi

and leave Thailand after completing a

few formalities. With a change in the

command at the top of the Immigration

Department ladder this has now altered

and anyone whose overstay is 42 days or

longer is likely to be arrested.

it is being stated quite

unequivocally that anyone on overstay

exceeding 42 days (six weeks) will be

arrested. They will then spend at the very

least one or two days behind bars while

waiting for the necessary paperwork to

be processed.

Source: http://p1.thaivisa.com/Pattaya_One_Issue_1.pdf

So fess up, you scoundrel who dared accuse the newspaper of having written that penalties had become harsher :)

P.S. I did a search on the entire ThaiVisa site and was happy to see that this calumny was not posted on ThaiVisa. Nowhere has the word "harsher" been used in connection with the the Pattaya One article. We are all INNOCENT of this crime.

Edited by Puccini

You "Follow the rules!" types must really hate Thai people, since most of them break the law whenever they can.

The fact is the they know the rules themselves are baloney-sandwich and making proclamations like "do the crime do the time!" and "just follow the law!" amounts to nothing more than an idiotic chanting - which is why no-one is listening to you.

Besides this appears to be just another poorly conceived proclamation by a government BigHat and this Pattaya One guy is tried to make a story out of it to sell his rag. Maybe he has more free time now that consular services like passports are processed in Hong Kong.

There's also the issue that Thailand needs a longer stay tourist visa. The US tourist visa is 10 year multiple entry, 6 months per entry and costs about 3,500 baht. The US doesn't even stamp you out of the country or fine you if you depart having overstayed let alone throw you in jail for a couple days.

If you law-mongers are still hel_l bent on making sure everyone in Thailand is following the laws only you hold so dear, go tell the red-shirts on Rachadamnoen rd they can't gather as a group larger than five, scream at the cops for driving on the sidewalk, shout at the food stands for settings up on a Monday, scold the mom and pop Thai shops for selling beer between 2 and 5 P.M, call up and berate school principles for employing foreign teachers without work permits, go wave your finger at every brothel in every city in the country, or just <deleted> and consider why of all of things happen and no-one cares.

Nice post. I totally agree with you. Everything you said is true here. And those "follow the rules" types...i wonder how many illegal DVD's or pirated software they have in their collection.

No sorry mojo80, now i understand..all us that we follow the thai law we are stupid and you are smart because you dont follow the law, you save money and nothing happen to you.

smart man :jap:

Thais don't even know what 'THE LAW' is. They break it everyday. ..... it's ok for a Thais to break the law but not a foreigner? More thai double standards.

"Give us Truth or some respect please!!!!!!!!!!"

If you had any respect for Thailand and its laws, you wouldn't need to worry about this.

Im the one that respect the rules, i dont care thai or not...but...thai dont respect at all me...like all of us...so if you talk like that sorry to say but the phrase is " IF you want respect FIRST respect the others".

Nobody respect me because I'M A FATHER OF A THAI CHILD, they say to me "if you cannot stay here( for the requirement of the visa in immigration office) live you son in the temple the mong will take care your son"....so if thai dont respect the FIRST HUMAN RIGHT how can they ORDER that all farang MUST respect them?

OK at the end i had destroyed my life but i had give all document and now I have my visa....Happy?

Take care.

No sorry mojo80, now i understand..all us that we follow the thai law we are stupid and you are smart because you dont follow the law, you save money and nothing happen to you.

smart man :jap:

Thais don't even know what 'THE LAW' is. They break it everyday. ..... it's ok for a Thais to break the law but not a foreigner? More thai double standards.

The 99% of the people in the favelas can kill you for one dollar, the 100% of the people in some place in my country can kill you only because you look at them, all people in Malindi Kenya are criminal( most from my country) some whit a lifetime jail sentence in the back, all pour people in Nairobi can kill you at the stop of the road if you forget your car windows open and thake your your money and your car in front of the police......but many humans dont do it...More world double standards.

They said to you before in not good manner like me...people like you force, sometimes, the police to enforce the rules and make to US more difficult get the visa.

I repeat for the last time, one criminal offence is a criminal offence, jail or not jail, and you are a criminal offender for the THAI LAW...that's all.

Now you understand?

This is not about THAI LAW this is about THE LAW.

Follow the law and at one time you have more easy visa.

Do you know how many overstay in Egypt, Sharm or hurgada......0 ZERO.

Do you know why?

You can do a one year visa in 10 minute for 10 dollars.......you know what happen if you overstay? jail long time, black list..and the jail in egypt are more bad than the "monkey house in BKK".

But nobody try to overstay in Egypt because everybody know about the "rude egiptian police" so THEY DONT NEED PUT A HARD VISA RULES, they see that evreybody follew the rules whit no problem...understand now?

Gents, can someone tell me in plain English language - who is right - Thai Visa/Pattaya One, with reporting of the change of enforcement, if it is that, or Drew Noyes with his "nobody gets put in prison if their overstay is LESS THAN 365 days" story, which he printed after this hare started running?

I recall Mr Noyes wrote a scare story about bar managers and crackdowns a while ago, which was jolly misleading, and I hope he is wrong again.

Thank you.

Hello everyone i have face myself the problem of overstays i got more than 5 months due to some problems with my under age daughter she is thai, well she got some health problem and not enough money for a visa runs before, as i read the breaking news for Thaivisa, i have call to my Embassy to informed my situation if in case im in custody to have an eye on my daughter because her mum walked away since her birth, but since my first week of overstay five months ago to explained that on overstay and the reason, the immigration officer was kind and give me some advices, but when all the new "change" about overstayers, i bought a ticket to singapore together with 20,000 fine and left my daughter to the neighbour with some money and some advices what to do if im in custody and so on, i was ready to surrender myself to immigration. Before giving my passport to the officer at the immigration point, i told her that i have overstay for 5 months, she only said, do you have 20 000baht in cash or else go to remove money, i reply with a smile i have in cash with me, she make me signs some papers with smile and talking about my country, Well inside me i was so happy, it's was more happy to be sure that i will see my little angel tomorrow when i come back, the next day i was back and enter thailand without any problems, i respect the thai laws, in 4years its my first overstay. but when i have confirm about the enforcing laws, the immigration has confirm no change if you have your 20 000b, so get 20 000b and boarding, i have visit lots of pages on the immigration website to read if it true, no release, no newpapers have talk about it even the immigration denied such publication, Those on overstay now, contact your nearest immigration for more information and advice, at anytime it can really change