Doctors tell 'dying cancer patient' who sold everything: we made a mistake

News_Editor

Doctors tell 'dying cancer patient' who sold everything: we made a mistake

2010-10-13 20:05:08 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- A 55-year-old British man sold nearly everything he owned after his doctor told him he had only six months to live. Three months later, doctors admitted they made a horrible mistake.

Malcolm McMahon was told by his doctors earlier this year that an ultrasound of his liver showed that he had cancer, and gave him the devastating news that he had only six months left to live.

To leave his family some money after his death, McMahon decided to sell off most of the heirlooms left by his parents and his premium bonds. He also put his four-bedroom house up for sale, made a will and even gave away his dogs after hearing no one was able to care for the animals.

"I just wanted to cash in on everything I had before I thought I was going to die," McMahon told the Daily Mail. "I started selling things around three days after the doctors told me I only had months to live."

"I was told my dogs would have to be put down because there would be no one else to look after them, so I tried to find them new homes," he said. "My Bull Terrier Kiser was given away to a man in Walsall after I'd had her for around four months."

But about three months after he was told the devastating news, doctors at Birmingham City Hospital determined that the cells on his liver were completely harmless.

"I sat there listening to the doctor detail about dying at home and how Macmillan nurses could help, but the whole time, I was fine," McMahon recalled in an interview with the Daily Mail. "All that time spent worrying over nothing."

He added: "My girlfriend was devastated. I wanted to make sure the people I loved would be financially secure without me, so I sold antique rings, china ornaments and plates left by my parents for silly money as I thought I didn't have much time."

McMahon said he was left traumatized and mentally affected after doctors told him he wasn't going to die after all. He was given a nearly 2-year driving ban after being caught driving while he was drunk, just days after being told what some could also consider good news.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-13

What a shock your going to live. Afriend of mine died a few years ago and he had a 49 ford coupe he had restored. He listed it and put his price on it the first caller starts trying to haggle the price down, Mike says I am dieing take it or leave it thats my price. The guy apologized and paid his price.

I knew a longtime policeman who was diagnosed with cancer and told he would die soon. He maxed out all his credit cards and the doctors changed their mind about him dying.

He got fired and was in all kinds of debt and had to work as a low paid security guard. :o