French President Sarkozy pleased with rescue operation of trapped Chilean miners

News_Editor

French President Sarkozy pleased with rescue operation of trapped Chilean miners

2010-10-14 00:26:06 GMT+7 (ICT)

PARIS (BNO NEWS) -- French President Nicolas Sarkozy on Wednesday said he is pleased with the rescue operation that has successfully freed 17 of the 33 trapped miners in the San Jose mine in Copiaco, Chile.

Sarkozy said in a statement that he shares the joy with the rescued miners and their relatives after being closely followed the tragedy day after day until the successful conclusion that is currently underway.

"I pay tribute to these men for their outstanding courage, great dignity they have displayed in extreme conditions and thank them for the lesson of solidarity and brotherhood that they have given to the world," Sarkozy expressed.

The French leader also congratulated Chilean President Sebastian Piñera and his government for the mobilization and organization demonstrated in the eve of the tragedy which allowed the rescue in the safest possible conditions.

The crisis began on August 5 when a part of the San José copper-gold mine in northern Chile collapsed, leaving 33 miners trapped 700 meters (2,300 feet) underground. More than two weeks later, relatives and rescue workers were shocked but relieved to find that the miners had survived and were in a good condition.

Over the next two months, rescue workers drilled several holes to eventually lower a capsule down to evacuate the miners one by one. It was a process that was initially expected to take until Christmas, if not longer, but was already completed last week.

Finally, Sarkozy said that he is delighted to welcome Piñera in Paris next week. The Chilean leader will pay an official visit to France in order to deepen its political dialogue and the bilateral relations between both governments.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-14