Rescue of 33 trapped miners ends in northern Chile after 22 hours

News_Editor

Rescue of 33 trapped miners ends in northern Chile after 22 hours

2010-10-14 08:56:53 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEAR COPIAPO, CHILE (BNO NEWS) -- In one of the most complex rescue operations in history, 33 miners safely reached the surface on Wednesday to end more than two months of being trapped deep underground after a 22 hours operation.

Shift leader Luis Urzua became the 33rd and final miner rescued from the San Jose copper-gold mine, Chile. Five rescue workers, that are still inside the mine, unfurled a poster saying "Mission accomplished Chile" after Urzua reached the surface.

Urzua, the group leader during the 69 days, was the first to speak with the authorities after they were found alive, 17 days after the collapse on August 5.

"We've shown the world the best of Chile," president Sebastian Piñera said at a news conference after the last miner was rescued. "We did it the Chilean way, which means the right way," he added.

One of the dramatic moments was when former football player Franklin Lobos reached the surface. Lobos received a soccer ball, he kicked two or three times the ball and then hugged the president.

"Franklin, you won the game of your life," Piñera told him.

Mario Sepulveda, 39, the second out of the mine, shouted "Long live Chile, shit!" after being rescued. He brought a bag of rocks from the bottom of the mine, one of which he gave to President Piñera.

"I was with God and was with the devil. I clung to God, I took the best hand. I always knew that God was going to take us out," said Sepulveda, the only miner who has given a statement to reporters who asked: "Don't treat us as artists and journalists, I want you to treat me as a miner. I want to die tied to the yoke."

The crisis began on August 5 when a part of the San José copper-gold mine in northern Chile collapsed, leaving 33 miners trapped 700 meters (2,300 feet) underground. More than two weeks later, relatives and rescue workers were shocked but relieved to find that the miners had survived and were in a good condition.

Over the next two months, rescue workers drilled several holes to eventually lower a capsule down to evacuate the miners one by one. It was a process that was initially expected to take until Christmas, if not longer, but was already completed last week.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-14