The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

Hi was wondering about the new skytrain that is going down Rattan a tibet and seems to be going out to Bang Yai and ,,,looks long, , and big the construction is on a world scale,

My question is was looking for the proposed route and were the stations will be located please. or a map, or Govt in info on it

Thanks

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

That's a very old map Arkom.

Attached is the OTP document pertaining to this run Bang Sue - Taling Chan this document is part of the tender documentation being used as we speak (so it's the real deal although the title is Western Corridor), there's another for Bang Sue - Rangsit as that is a separate contract. Sorry about the scan quality but it's as provided by OTP / SRT :(

OTP-1.pdf

Funny reading peoples replies trying to be helpful but actually giving incorrect info in response to the OP.

That is perhaps not surprising given that mass transit planning & implementation in Bangkok is both dysfunctional and poorly managed. The lack of a single co-ordinating body leads to many delays and competing plans.

1) As Arkom corrected, the OP is referring to the Tao Poon to Bang Yai MRTA Purple Line which started construction in Jan this year. (This after many years of delay).

It is not part of the BTS system even though it will be elevated. Should start operating from early 2014.

Note that the Blue Line will be extended 1km from bang Sue to Tao Poon to link with the Purple Line ( the Blue Line full extension has finally been tendered but is currently delayed due to corruption allegations in the tendering process)

You can view info in english on the 2Bangkok site; http://www.angkor.co...28090#post28090 (maps a few pages back)

or updates in Thai on SSC http://www.skyscrape...d.php?t=1138409 Note map at the start of the thread

2) The SRT light Red line Bang Sue to Taling Chan line started construction early in 2009 and should be operational by early 2012. SRT is currently evaluating extending the line by 10kms to Salaya.

It is nearly 40% complete and you can view updates on the SRT site here; http://www.railway.c...ect_redline.asp.

Further info on 2Bangkok in English: http://www.angkor.co...read.php?t=2406

Thai on SSC: http://www.skyscrape...ad.php?t=882032

Note that it will be narrow guage and diesal which is very silly! Also, a new intercity train terminal will be built at Bang Sue in a few years with all service ceasing from Hualomphong.

3) The SRT dark Red line from Bang Sue to Rangsit (with likely ext to Thammasat Uni) is currently being tendered. Work will hopefully start by mid next year. This line will be narrow gauge and electric. (Note that the Airport Line is planned to be extended to run alongside this line to DMK in the future - standard gauge electric)

Discerning readers will note that the SRT has three different metro lines planned with three different configurations! (narrow & diesal, narrow & electric, standard & electric)

It is hope that wiser heads may change this soon.

I will post a summary of all other plans with the latest Master Plan in another post so that current plans are clear for all.

That's a very old map Arkom.

Attached is the OTP document pertaining to this run Bang Sue - Taling Chan this document is part of the tender documentation being used as we speak (so it's the real deal although the title is Western Corridor), there's another for Bang Sue - Rangsit as that is a separate contract. Sorry about the scan quality but it's as provided by OTP / SRT :(

OTP-1.pdf

Opps, your're right looking at your first post just realize its the same one.

This is the latest Master Plan (2009) for metro lines in Bangkok: http://i46.photobuck...ays/map2572.jpg

It includes 12 lines but it should be noted that lines 11 and 12 are only recent additions and cannot be considered to be realistic at this stage whereas all other lines are at various stages of approval, planning or public consultation.

The map does not include BRT lines planned by BMA and OTP (they have competing plans) and it does not include a few stupid monorail lines that are also planned to be built by the BMA.

Don't be too set on this Master Plan as I could post 4 different Master Plans from the last 6 years. Some lines will change.

Discerning readers will note that the SRT has three different metro lines planned with three different configurations! (narrow & diesal, narrow & electric, standard & electric)

Fun isn't it?

I understand that the latest iteration of the Western Red Line (Bang Sue - Taling Chan) is now going to be narrow gauge electric like the Rangsit - Bang Sue line, but who knows really. I have access to the tender documents and I can't be totally clear what is wanted.

IMHO The whole concept of Grand Bang Sue becoming the termination point of long distance (replacing Hua Lumpong) and then requiring passengers to change to local trains is flawed, but TiT, we'll build what they want :)

I've been involved in at least three different designs for the Red Line, it's been both narrow and standard gauge (along with an aborted suggestion that it be dual gauge 3-rail). The mindset that chose narrow gauge also want SRT long distance trains to use the same tracks, at least coming down from Rangsit, eventually the at-grade line with all its level-crossings will be de-commissioned and all trains will run elevated, even freight.

One slight ray of sense is that the line will utilise at least some of the abandoned HopeWell structures, ones that are not to be used will be removed. Finally the demonstration of how well Thailand handles infrastructure projects will be gone forever :)

This is my summary of all the lines and extensions of all metro lines to be completed by 2029 (realistically when your grandchildren are retiring). However, this will change again and again especially if or when we have a change of government next year.

A) Current lines under construction;

1) BTS ext On Nut to Soi Baering (open 12 Aug 2011)

2) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Taling Chan (est open early to mid 2012)

3) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai (open early 2014)

B ) Lines tendered and contacts signed

4) MRT subway Blue Line ring ext and Bang Khae ext (construction to start end of 2010, opening 2016)

Note: last week the National Assembly and NCCC are reviewing these tenders due to allegation of curruption and collussion during the tendering process which may lead to retender of the 5 contracts.

C) Lines currently under tender

5) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Rangsit

5a) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE & S intercity trains,

D) Lines reportedly close to tender;

6) MRT Subway Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon (1 station),

7) BTS ext from Wong Wian Yai to Phetkasem road (viaduct built years ago and only needs tender for 4 stations. BMA gov said in Feb it would be done by end of 2011 but tender may be done by end of the year with a completion deadline for end of 2012)

E) Lines which have disappeared into a Thai policy vortex of confusion;

8 ) BTS Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext (expected to be tendered next year but that has been said for the last 5 yrs. Original completion date was 2008),

F) Next batch of lines & exts:

9) BTS ext from Soi Baering to Samut Prakhan,

10) Orange Line,

11) Pink Line (mono-rail!!!)

12) Yellow Line

G) Thereafter:

13) Purple Line ext south,

14) Red Line from Bang Sue to Hualumphong to Mahachai

15) Airport Line from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meung (DMK)

16) BTS ext from Saphan Mai to Lam Lukka

17) Line 11 and line 12????

Updated info on all of these lines (and other mass transit projects) can be found on Skyscrapercity (SSC) in Thai, http://www.skyscrape...=367&order=desc

or 2Bangkok in english, http://www.angkor.co...forum/index.php.

Fun isn't it?

I understand that the latest iteration of the Western Red Line (Bang Sue - Taling Chan) is now going to be narrow gauge electric like the Rangsit - Bang Sue line, but who knows really. I have access to the tender documents and I can't be totally clear what is wanted.

IMHO The whole concept of Grand Bang Sue becoming the termination point of long distance (replacing Hua Lumpong) and then requiring passengers to change to local trains is flawed, but TiT, we'll build what they want :)

I've been involved in at least three different designs for the Red Line, it's been both narrow and standard gauge (along with an aborted suggestion that it be dual gauge 3-rail). The mindset that chose narrow gauge also want SRT long distance trains to use the same tracks, at least coming down from Rangsit, eventually the at-grade line with all its level-crossings will be de-commissioned and all trains will run elevated, even freight.

One slight ray of sense is that the line will utilise at least some of the abandoned HopeWell structures, ones that are not to be used will be removed. Finally the demonstration of how well Thailand handles infrastructure projects will be gone forever :)

I am ok with Bang Sue becoming a hub for all N and NE trains BUT only if Hualamphong is redesigned and used for all south trains via a new Mahachai-Samut Songkhram line connecting to the main south line north of Phectaburi. Makes more sense in the long run to have the south line more direct and not passing through Nakhon Pathom. Also, use Makkasan for all eastern lines (new Rayong - as is planned now - and Aran). To me it makes sense in a city BKKs size to have regionally based stations BUT only if there are linked by a decent metro system. Which all would be.

I do hope the Taling Chan Red line does becomes electric and there is still time for the SRT Board to change this. Hopefully, in the next 12 months someone in the SRT has some clout to realise that standard electric would be more sensible for their network.

I have seen a number of line configurations in the planned designs for the Rangsit line. I understand the thinking to keep it narrow and have intercity trains use the red line viaduct but it is short term, limited thinking. Also, I keep in mind that the SRT plans to extend the Airport Line alongside the Rangsit line - two lines of different guages running alongside each other!

However, the biggest problem in the SRT is that there is a lack of intergrated planning. The SRT currently has their long-term double tracking program which will be followed by standard gauge conversion which will be followed by electrification. As you know (but other TV members may not), more recently this govt if finally giving the SRT money to upgrade their network and is looking to approve a 4 new HSR lines with the new HSR line to Rayong a priority. The Chinese have also stepped in and proposed HSR Nong Khai to BKK and then south to Malaysia. Parliament has recently approved this process continuing.

Thus, a far sighted SRT network planner would intergrate all current double tracking/guage conversion/electrification plans with the HSR plans and ensure that anything built from hereon is standard electric whilst maintaining some narrow guage during a transition period. That would save a lot of money currently allocated for double tracking and in the long term.

As the Airport Line is being seen as the backbone of the planned Rayong HSR line the two Red lines could also be the backbone of line conversion.

For the dark Red Bang Sue to Rangsit, it seems to me to be prudent to build it as a 4 track, standard electric, viaduct with the inner two lines for intercity HSR trains a future Airport Express ext which terminates at DMK. It may need an additional 5th line for freight or dual guage but I don't know the freight requirements.

If the Chinese Nong Khai to BKK HSR line gets the go-ahead early next year then they will probably build that whole line in the same time it takes the contractor to built the Rangsit Red line. Thus, in 5 years the SRT could have an intergrated standard electric line for the Rangsit Red line, Airport Express ext and new NE HSR intercity line.

This is my summary of all the lines and extensions of all metro lines to be completed by 2029 (realistically when your grandchildren are retiring). However, this will change again and again especially if or when we have a change of government next year.

A) Current lines under construction;

1) BTS ext On Nut to Soi Baering (open 12 Aug 2011)

2) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Taling Chan (est open early to mid 2012)

3) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai (open early 2014)

B ) Lines tendered and contacts signed

4) MRT subway Blue Line ring ext and Bang Khae ext (construction to start end of 2010, opening 2016)

Note: last week the National Assembly and NCCC are reviewing these tenders due to allegation of curruption and collussion during the tendering process which may lead to retender of the 5 contracts.

C) Lines currently under tender

5) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Rangsit

5a) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE & S intercity trains,

6) MRT Subway Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon (1 station),

7) BTS ext from Wong Wian Yai to Phetkasem road (viaduct built years ago and only needs tender for 4 stations. BMA gov said in Feb it would be done by end of 2011 but tender may be done by end of the year with a completion deadline for end of 2012)

E) Lines which have disappeared into a Thai policy vortex of confusion;

8 ) BTS Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext (expected to be tendered next year but that has been said for the last 5 yrs. Original completion date was 2008),

F) Next batch of lines & exts:

9) BTS ext from Soi Baering to Samut Prakhan,

10) Orange Line,

11) Pink Line (mono-rail!!!)

12) Yellow Line

G) Thereafter:

13) Purple Line ext south,

14) Red Line from Bang Sue to Hualumphong to Mahachai

15) Airport Line from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meung (DMK)

16) BTS ext from Saphan Mai to Lam Lukka

17) Line 11 and line 12????

Updated info on all of these lines (and other mass transit projects) can be found on Skyscrapercity (SSC) in Thai, http://www.skyscrape...=367&order=desc

or 2Bangkok in english, http://www.angkor.co...forum/index.php.

I think you missed one - the extension west beyond National Stadium. Or does that belong in section E?

I think you missed one - the extension west beyond National Stadium. Or does that belong in section E?

It has been canned. Originally the BTS line was going to be extended west into Yaoworat, then head towards Ratchadamnoen Klang Ave, interchange with the Purple Line at Phan Fa then cross the river to Thonburi to link with the Blue Line at CharonSanit Wong (Inner ring rd). However, this will now be served by another SRT Red line running alongside the Airport Line which will then head west. Does not make sense to me and I expect (hope) this will change again. I didn't list this line as it seems very uncertain and to be honest I am confused as to exactly what is planned for this line.

Check the Master Plan and compare it with Khun Zoowatch's map from 2005 which is the one posted by arkom.

However, once the Dark Red Line is extended from Bang Sue to Hualamphong and Mahachai the BTS line will be extended one station under the current plan for an interchange. So your right that I missed the one station BTS extension, probably in (G).

It has been canned. Originally the BTS line was going to be extended west into Yaoworat, then head towards Ratchadamnoen Klang Ave, interchange with the Purple Line at Phan Fa then cross the river to Thonburi to link with the Blue Line at CharonSanit Wong (Inner ring rd). However, this will now be served by another SRT Red line running alongside the Airport Line which will then head west. Does not make sense to me and I expect (hope) this will change again. I didn't list this line as it seems very uncertain and to be honest I am confused as to exactly what is planned for this line.

Check the Master Plan and compare it with Khun Zoowatch's map from 2005 which is the one posted by arkom.

However, once the Dark Red Line is extended from Bang Sue to Hualamphong and Mahachai the BTS line will be extended one station under the current plan for an interchange. So your right that I missed the one station BTS extension, probably in (G).

Do you know if they are still planning to extend the BTS from Mo Chit to (if I remember correctly)Sapan Mai?

• 1 month later...

The BMA took a loan to tender the ext and 3 weeks ago awarded the contract STECON.

Construction is due to start in 2 days on 29 Dec with a completion date set for 31 Dec 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's LG for some great information. Although my heart sinks when I see what has happened to the proposed Mor Chit - Saphan Mai link.

The funny thing is that my sister in law still insists that they will start to build it next year.

But she's been saying that for the last seven years :D

Bit confusing the maps........ At least house prices will jump up in these out of the way places, New house price have been going up a lot last year....

The MRT ? is all underground along the middle of the road... Bang Yai carry on North for about 15km or so to the main Sai Noi turn, they did all the underground work there 2 years ago, now they are up to Big C going south, before big C going south, they have started on a big station.. then there is nothing yet until after Big C where you turn left to Nonthaburi then it is again all underground.. big mess at the round a bout.. Not sure what is happening near Bang Bua Thong going towards Bang Yai as there making big pillars as well in the center of the road..... All the building on the corner past Big C and turning towards Nonthaburi have now started to be knocked down this week.

Main road end of Ban Kluay-Zai Noi Road, house price have increased over 1 million since a year ago !!

Bit confusing the maps........ The MRT ? is all underground along the middle of the road...

Which maps exactly?

Underground? Unless plans have recently changed, the whole of the 23 km Purple Line currently under construction will be elevated.

The 2nd section, planned for the future, which will run south from Taopoon through Rattanakosin Island to Wong Wian Yai is planned to be underground. The 3rd section from Wong Wian Yai to Rat Burana wil also be elevated.

Thank's LG for some great information. Although my heart sinks when I see what has happened to the proposed Mor Chit - Saphan Mai link.

The funny thing is that my sister in law still insists that they will start to build it next year.

But she's been saying that for the last seven years :D

The MRTA (which is going to contract the line after the BMA gave up) says on their website that they will tender the line this month. However, I very much dobt that.

A few months ago there was yet another delay as the MRTA had wanted to build a depot at Don Meaung airport but the airforce would not allow it. Why they cannot just divide the ext into two and build the section from Mo Chit to Kaset Uni first is beyond me. Especially, as this section contains greater civil engineering works with the crossing of Vihavadi-Rangsit rd and the thi section of Phahonyothin road contains an elevated road north of Ratchada rd intersection which will needs to be demolished.

That way they could finally start after so many years of delay and give themselves time to find an alternative depot site (suggested ot be Kukok) prior to starting the Kaset to Saphan Mai section. (The depot is mainly for the future and the section from Saphan Mai to Lam Lukka)

Bit confusing the maps........ The MRT ? is all underground along the middle of the road...

Which maps exactly?

Underground? Unless plans have recently changed, the whole of the 23 km Purple Line currently under construction will be elevated.

The 2nd section, planned for the future, which will run south from Taopoon through Rattanakosin Island to Wong Wian Yai is planned to be underground. The 3rd section from Wong Wian Yai to Rat Burana wil also be elevated.

Yes the Purple Line, No idea all I know is for the past 2 years they have been working underground, the center + fast lane in both direction have been dug up... the odd gaps in the boarding have seen, lots of steel, Huge Machines, lots of Concrete mixers, after they finish they put up new/replace the crash barriers and re tarmac the road.. As I say on the bit that I use many times a week they have almost got to Big C,,, so has take over 2 years to do about 12 or so km..

The other road I use less often going to Nonthaburi, they have been coming up to Bang Yai, again ALL work has been under ground, only in the past month have the started to make Concrete ramp above ground, but that is after 'Bang Bua Thong' just before the main intersection with the 2 main roads..

They also did a lot of work ALL underground much nearer to Nonthaburi, also in the center of the road, the new bridge is fully open some months ago, all the roads that were dug up from there to Nonthaburi. again all new crash barriers and all the road re tarmac ed. no sign of anything above ground. [re the new bridge over the river was told at least 2 years ago that the old bridge was for the Purple Line MRT]

Just odd that on all the boarding this line is to open within the next 2 years.. so would have thought they would have started building something above ground if is was to be a 'elevated' line ? What have they been doing underground for over 2 years ?

No idea what the plans are, just know what I see with my own eyes every week

Which maps exactly?

Yes the Purple Line, No idea all I know is for the past 2 years they have been working underground, the center + fast lane in both direction have been dug up... the odd gaps in the boarding have seen, lots of steel, Huge Machines, lots of Concrete mixers, after they finish they put up new/replace the crash barriers and re tarmac the road.. As I say on the bit that I use many times a week they have almost got to Big C,,, so has take over 2 years to do about 12 or so km..

The other road I use less often going to Nonthaburi, they have been coming up to Bang Yai, again ALL work has been under ground, only in the past month have the started to make Concrete ramp above ground, but that is after 'Bang Bua Thong' just before the main intersection with the 2 main roads..

They also did a lot of work ALL underground much nearer to Nonthaburi, also in the center of the road, the new bridge is fully open some months ago, all the roads that were dug up from there to Nonthaburi. again all new crash barriers and all the road re tarmac ed. no sign of anything above ground. [re the new bridge over the river was told at least 2 years ago that the old bridge was for the Purple Line MRT]

Just odd that on all the boarding this line is to open within the next 2 years.. so would have thought they would have started building something above ground if is was to be a 'elevated' line ? What have they been doing underground for over 2 years ?

You should look more ofthen they have been working above the ground for a while now. I see a lot of pilars there. I live quite close to it (past big king they have a lot of work above ground)

Which maps exactly?

Who are they? It sounds like you are describing road works being done by either Nonthaburi Province and/or The Dept of Highways (DOH)?

You say that these works have been undertaken fo the last 2 years but the contracts for the Purple Line were not signed until the 3rd quarter of 2009 and the contractor CKTC did not start preliminary site works until Feb 2010 - less than 1 yr ago. So I think what you describe has not been part of the Purple Line construction. (It could be that some roadworks were conducted prior, relating to the Purple Line in terms of creating a right of way for the pillars. eg, moving lighting towers etc)

Also, the Purple Line is not due to be completed until early 2014 (& expect delays) which is still 3 years away so I understand why you say it will open in 2 yrs?

No idea myself, can only say what I see and have seen over the passed 2 years... + what Thai local people tell me...

At the main Sai Noi turn, contractors worked for many months all under ground... from there they have worked underground all the way down towards the City and now by Big C.. at the main Sai Noi turn, on the right side they build a big area new many car dealers use this space, but was told this will be the 'end of line parking area.... now in the last week or so they have flattened all the buildings and cleaned the area on the left corner at the Sai Noi turn, again I asked and have been told this will be the end station...

Coming down the main road the end of my road Ban Kluay-Zai Noi Road, there is a down and under U turn to go to BKK or Big C way, this was closed for months, early last year was re opened [no more flooding + now has a tiled foot path]

Near Big C they now have pillars going up, so looks like these will link with the pillars I talked about round the corner, which also go up towards the intersection..

Maybe like in other Countries the trains will run in the center on the ground, and all the work underground has been to strengthen ? the pillars they are now making is to go up and cross the intersection and then go back down to the ground level..

It's the first stage of the Red Line. Rangsit - Bang Sue - Taling Chan

I've got a map but it's carp, over compressed and unreadable, I'll see if I can hunt out another.

post-14979-046005600 1287100934_thumb.jp

May I take the occasion to point out how annoyingly are the images displayed here? I wanted to open the image in a new browser tab while I read other posts but it only opens on top of the texts and darkens the page. So I have to wait for the image frame to fade in and stretch out, then load the image and then finally see the image, if I want to go back and forth between seeing the image and reading text I have to go through the animation over and over again, instead of simply switching browser tabs.

Sorry for the rant but this feature rubs me the wrong way.

AS I understand it the railway is elevated all along Rattanatibet and all the way to the now under construction rather large depot past Big King (almost opposite the soi where Nonthaburi immigration is located).

The deep excavations I've seen I imagine related to both pilings for the support pillars and stations, and several elevated U-turns that are being built.

Questions I have are about the "pink line" which I've heard will connect Khai Rai and Pakkred, a really short distance, which real estate developers are using both the pink and purple lines to promote various projects. And I've also heard about a proposed Pakkred-Minburi line which was supposed to serve the Government complex in Chaengwattana. Is there any confirmation or otherwise of this?

Archived