The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

AS I understand it the railway is elevated all along Rattanatibet and all the way to the now under construction rather large depot past Big King (almost opposite the soi where Nonthaburi immigration is located).

The deep excavations I've seen I imagine related to both pilings for the support pillars and stations, and several elevated U-turns that are being built.

Here is a render of what the depot will look like; http://www.pe.eng.ku.../fixbangpai.jpg

I posted the link earlier in this thread for the Skyscrapercity thread for the Purple Line construction so that people (like ignis) can follow the progress of construction. Lots of pics and updated info there.

Questions I have are about the "pink line" which I've heard will connect Khai Rai and Pakkred, a really short distance, which real estate developers are using both the pink and purple lines to promote various projects. And I've also heard about a proposed Pakkred-Minburi line which was supposed to serve the Government complex in Chaengwattana. Is there any confirmation or otherwise of this?

I assume you are mentioning Khai Rai due to the BP article last week which said it would go from Khae Rai to Pakred....... poorly edited.

The Pink Line will run from Minburi to Pakred (with the extension to connect to the Purple Line at Tiwanon & Rattanatibet junction hence the Khae Rai added in to replace the previously proposed Brown Line).

It will be 34km long running along Chaeng Wattana and Ram Inthra with 24 stations. It will link 4 lines (SRT Rangsit SRT Red, BTS Light Green line, the MRTA Yellow Line & the Purple). It is an important EW transport corridor in the north and has the potential to alleviate some of the traffic on this busy route. Here is a map;

pink2009.jpg

It was planned to be built later but in the belated realisation of the importance of having transport links for the new Government Complex at Chaeng Wattana the timeline has been brought forward with an attempt to tender the line later this year.

However, there is a big problem. The line was originally planned to be a heavy rail metro but it was changed to a mono-rail 2 yrs ago due to lobbying by a couple of mono-rail manufacturers (esp from the country just south of Thailand). This will be very silly and shortsighted as a monorail cannot handle heavy pax loads and this is a high growth corridor with many new housing projects. If they do build it I am foreseeing many technical problems and breakdowns. It is also silly from a network point of view all other MRTA lines will be heavy rail which means rolling stock can be used on all lines if need be and allows for future network expansion and changes.

Here are a couple of silly renders;

http://img709.images...19/51491610.jpg & http://img709.images...19/51491610.jpg

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update today.. yes there building the Pillars now + there going back over what they had worked on before... Trucks unloading barriers all the way into the centre, thought they had finished all the work on this section last year..

TIT but would have thought they would have done the pillars while they had the fast lane both side closed most of last year..

Still goud thing the road is back open again past the 'Wat' [past Immigration Office] so can do the back roads behind Bang Yai crossing all the main roads cross country and miss it all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a house in Bangsue, and my wife is currently staying there for family reasons.

She tells me that there is a lot of concern among our neighbours due to rumours flying around that the government is going to buy all their homes to build a station.

The map provided by Lakegeneve above appears to show that the Purple Line either terminates or turns right toward Bangsue Junction; and the construction work I saw when there last August would seem confirm this, with a station being built adjacent to the Tesco Lotus.

However, the map also shows a purple MRT extension, which appears to go right through the area where our house is!

I've been unable to find any up to date info on this. Can anyone direct me to where I can find some?

My wife is really worried about this; we have only owned the house for a year, but it is the first house either of us have ever owned and we planned to end our days there. It would be a large emotional blow were we to lose it.

This is my summary of all the lines and extensions of all metro lines to be completed by 2029 (realistically when your grandchildren are retiring). However, this will change again and again especially if or when we have a change of government next year.

A) Current lines under construction;

1) BTS ext On Nut to Soi Baering (open 12 Aug 2011)

2) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Taling Chan (est open early to mid 2012)

3) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai (open early 2014)

B ) Lines tendered and contacts signed

4) MRT subway Blue Line ring ext and Bang Khae ext (construction to start end of 2010, opening 2016)

Note: last week the National Assembly and NCCC are reviewing these tenders due to allegation of curruption and collussion during the tendering process which may lead to retender of the 5 contracts.

C) Lines currently under tender

5) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Rangsit

5a) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE & S intercity trains,

D) Lines reportedly close to tender;

6) MRT Subway Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon (1 station),

7) BTS ext from Wong Wian Yai to Phetkasem road (viaduct built years ago and only needs tender for 4 stations. BMA gov said in Feb it would be done by end of 2011 but tender may be done by end of the year with a completion deadline for end of 2012)

E) Lines which have disappeared into a Thai policy vortex of confusion;

8 ) BTS Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext (expected to be tendered next year but that has been said for the last 5 yrs. Original completion date was 2008),

F) Next batch of lines & exts:

9) BTS ext from Soi Baering to Samut Prakhan,

10) Orange Line,

11) Pink Line (mono-rail!!!)

12) Yellow Line

G) Thereafter:

13) Purple Line ext south,

14) Red Line from Bang Sue to Hualumphong to Mahachai

15) Airport Line from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meung (DMK)

16) BTS ext from Saphan Mai to Lam Lukka

17) Line 11 and line 12????

Updated info on all of these lines (and other mass transit projects) can be found on Skyscrapercity (SSC) in Thai, http://www.skyscrape...=367&order=desc

or 2Bangkok in english, http://www.angkor.co...forum/index.php.

1) BTS ext On Nut to Soi Baering (open 12 Aug 2011) ...GOOD News and about time :partytime2:

9) BTS ext from Soi Baering to Samut Prakhan...Got any Dates...?? :o

We have a house in Bangsue, and my wife is currently staying there for family reasons.

She tells me that there is a lot of concern among our neighbours due to rumours flying around that the government is going to buy all their homes to build a station.

The map provided by Lakegeneve above appears to show that the Purple Line either terminates or turns right toward Bangsue Junction; and the construction work I saw when there last August would seem confirm this, with a station being built adjacent to the Tesco Lotus.

However, the map also shows a purple MRT extension, which appears to go right through the area where our house is!

I've been unable to find any up to date info on this. Can anyone direct me to where I can find some?

My wife is really worried about this; we have only owned the house for a year, but it is the first house either of us have ever owned and we planned to end our days there. It would be a large emotional blow were we to lose it.

There is talk of Hua Lamphong station effectively being moved out to Bang Sue. A new station would be built that would also include the high speed trains from China.

I would have thought that it would be built on existing railway land though. How close are you to the railway?

9) BTS ext from Soi Baering to Samut Prakhan...Got any Dates...?? :o

Past Imperial Samrong? My guess? Never.

We need a line over SriNakarin Road & one over Lard Prao.

Still no clear timeframe on the Soi Bearing to Samut Prakhan section but designs have been completed, environmental impact study is being done and the Transport Ministry wants to tender it this year. I suspect sometime next year there may be a start in construction.

For your wanted line along Srinakarin and Lat Phrao rds you already have one planned ....the Yellow Line. Check the Master Plan map I posted.

There is talk of Hua Lamphong station effectively being moved out to Bang Sue. A new station would be built that would also include the high speed trains from China.

It is not talk as pre-tenders for the new Bang Sue Terminal went out late last year. Renders have been around for the last 2 years. This was planned prior to the plans for new HSR lines coming out.

However, there has been a delay in the tender which will not happen to mid year (along with the SRT Red Line to Rangsit).

All N, NE and South trains will depart from the new Bang Sue Terminal and all East line trains from the new Makkasan terminal.

It would make more long term sense when the new Southern HSR line is built to still keep south trains departing from a revamped Hua Lamphong station and run them more direct via Mahachai & Samut Songkram and a new line but that is another issue.

THe Purple line DOES NOT run through Bang Sue. It runs through Taopoon which is about 1 km west (the Blue Line will be extended west 1.2km to connect before being extended further).

The section of the Purple Line south of Taopoon will intially be elevated then run underground. Originally this was going to be the first section of the line built being the most important however politicians, specifically the BJT members, property coompany interests wanted to push the NW section first to open up new housing projects along the corridor.

The only lines in the area are the SRT Red (Taling Chan ) which is already under construction and on SRT land, the Blue Line extension and the Pruple line. Plans for all lines in your area have been around for years with exact routes and stations (eg. the Blue Line ext should have been completed in 2009) so why not just attend your local District office to obtain the information you require if you are unsure? Alternatively, you can contact the MRTA which is the responsible authority for both the Purple and Blue lines.

THe Purple line DOES NOT run through Bang Sue. It runs through Taopoon which is about 1 km west

Forgive my ignorance, but as it is coloured purple on the map you provided earlier, I assumed it was the purple line. Something is running through Bangsue, I've seen it being built!

Plans for all lines in your area have been around for years with exact routes and stations (eg. the Blue Line ext should have been completed in 2009) so why not just attend your local District office to obtain the information you require if you are unsure?

We have, or rather one of our neighbours has. The response? "No final decision has been made yet, and until the final decision has been made, plans are not available to the public!"

Like your map, the one on the MRTA website shows the line coming down Thanon Krungthep-Nonthaburi and then continuing; very close to our home off Soi Pradu. Unfortunately, neither map is detailed enough to say for sure. nor do they show the location of any stations.

I've attached that map as a pdf file.

I've advised my wife to try and contact MRTA and see if they are any more forthcoming than the Ampur.

Incidentally, work on improving the surface water drainage in the area was due to start in February 2010; we've now been told that this work has been indefinitely postponed. Coincidence?

MRTAnetworkEng.pdf

THe Purple line DOES NOT run through Bang Sue. It runs through Taopoon which is about 1 km west

Forgive my ignorance, but as it is coloured purple on the map you provided earlier, I assumed it was the purple line. Something is running through Bangsue, I've seen it being built!

The only lines in the area are the SRT Red (Taling Chan ) which is already under construction and on SRT land,

Plans for all lines in your area have been around for years with exact routes and stations (eg. the Blue Line ext should have been completed in 2009) so why not just attend your local District office to obtain the information you require if you are unsure?

We have, or rather one of our neighbours has. The response? "No final decision has been made yet, and until the final decision has been made, plans are not available to the public!"

Like your map, the one on the MRTA website shows the line coming down Thanon Krungthep-Nonthaburi and then continuing; very close to our home off Soi Pradu. Unfortunately, neither map is detailed enough to say for sure. nor do they show the location of any stations.

To my understanding when the section south of Taopoon is built the next station will be at Samsen & Thahan rd junction. It will then run underground along Samsen (though the MRTA will probably change that to elevated to save costs and then start underground further a few kms further south).

You can draw a straight line on a map from Samsen to Taopoon at the end of Pracharat rd allowing some curvature of the alignment at Taopoon end and that will be your approx route. I imagine it to pass over Soi Pradu just north of the right angle turn.

To my understanding when the section south of Taopoon is built the next station will be at Samsen & Thahan rd junction.

Which ties in with what my wife has heard. Her son's old high school is there, and she has heard that it will be demolished to make way for a station.

You can draw a straight line on a map from Samsen to Taopoon at the end of Pracharat rd allowing some curvature of the alignment at Taopoon end and that will be your approx route. I imagine it to pass over Soi Pradu just north of the right angle turn.

Which will be close, but will miss us.

Since my last post, my wife has spoken to 'someone' (don't know who) who assures her that we will be all right. Which is a relief, although I do feel guilty about being relieved that our house will be OK when others, some of them friends of ours, will be losing their homes.

Thanks for the information.

It's the first stage of the Red Line. Rangsit - Bang Sue - Taling Chan

I've got a map but it's carp, over compressed and unreadable, I'll see if I can hunt out another.

post-14979-046005600 1287100934_thumb.jp

May I take the occasion to point out how annoyingly are the images displayed here? I wanted to open the image in a new browser tab while I read other posts but it only opens on top of the texts and darkens the page. So I have to wait for the image frame to fade in and stretch out, then load the image and then finally see the image, if I want to go back and forth between seeing the image and reading text I have to go through the animation over and over again, instead of simply switching browser tabs.

Sorry for the rant but this feature rubs me the wrong way.

right click>open in new tab or window.

As a small aside, take a look at this site: ivycondo.com and have a look at their map on the near complete Ivy Residences, Pinklao. On there you will see a couple of MRT stations that featured in the sales pitch.

Do you think they are being a little optimistic?

Alan

The stations on the map are part of the Blue Line ext (ring line) which is the current subway and will run along Charan Sanit Wong rd> it is due to open in 2016.

Contracts have been signed and work was due to start late last year but there have been delays while parliament and the NCCC investigate allegations of corruption and collusion in the bidding process. However, the MRTA resigned all contracts 2 weeks ago and contractors have said they can start works in 30 days once parliament completes an audit of the bidding process. We have to wait to seen when works can start.

As a small aside, take a look at this site: ivycondo.com and have a look at their map on the near complete Ivy Residences, Pinklao. On there you will see a couple of MRT stations that featured in the sales pitch.

Do you think they are being a little optimistic?

Alan

The stations on the map are part of the Blue Line ext (ring line) which is the current subway and will run along Charan Sanit Wong rd> it is due to open in 2016.

Contracts have been signed and work was due to start late last year but there have been delays while parliament and the NCCC investigate allegations of corruption and collusion in the bidding process. However, the MRTA resigned all contracts 2 weeks ago and contractors have said they can start works in 30 days once parliament completes an audit of the bidding process. We have to wait to seen when works can start.

Thanks very much for that information.

Let's hope that the contract can get underway in the near future, as I will then have another route into town.

Once more, many thanks for your excellent post.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of updates in respect of the BTS Sukhumvit line:

BTSC (who are contracted by the BMA to run the ext) are stating they will commence testing on the On Nut - Soi Bearing ext in June. Assuming that all goes well during the testing period, the ext is still slated to open on 12 Aug 11.

MRTA have announced they will soon issue the tender for the 12.6km ext of the BTS Sukhumvit line from Soi Bearing to Paknam. MRTA hopes to contract by end of May and wants preliminary works to begin by end of July. (Note: MRTA are dealing with this contract as Soi Bearing is the limit of BMA's juridiction, ie. Bangkok Province)

(For anyone who missed it, work has already begun on the Wong Wian Yai to Bang Wah ext (BTS Silom line) which only involves building 4 stations as the viaduct has been completed for a few years now. BMA wants this ext to open in Dec 2012)

• 2 months later...

Bidding is underway by the MRTA for the 7 station, 12.6 km Bearing to Paknam extension.

The original timetable at the start of the year was for the tender to be awarded by the end of June, contracts signed by Sept with work to commence by October but as usual it seems that will slide a little.

Here is a more detailed map of the ext (in Thai) which is the section of the line between the two red lines;

(Note: the map shows 2 future stations which will not be constructed until demand warrants - being the Naval Academy, 4th on the map, and Sailuad, 8th)

3cfa667551db3e4b1b069fe65b1ad6f5.png

I was talking to a British engineer friend who has lived here for some time and he said that the blue line MRT extension that connects to Tao Poon won't hook up to the existing tunnel connections at Bang Sue MRT but will, instead, come above ground to terminate. This sounds ridiculous, which makes it completely plausible given the lack of systemic thinking in planning connections between the different lines. Anyone heard anything about this? Just a minor detail, but one I found interesting.

I live in Nonthaburi and go all around from Bang Sue to Bang Yai on a pretty regular basis and the pace of the work has been astounding. They're already putting in the platforms for stations around Krungthep-Non, most of the pillars are up and many are finished. Further up on Ratthanathibet they're actually putting in the concrete track bed (not sure what the proper terminology is, the big concrete path that sits atop the pillars). I'll be sad when Nonthaburi West of the River completes the conversion to a mu baan Hell due to all this, but it's good to see such far-reaching mass transit planning and I know it will really help a lot of regular folks who sit on buses for hours to get to work now (and me too!).

I was talking to a British engineer friend who has lived here for some time and he said that the blue line MRT extension that connects to Tao Poon won't hook up to the existing tunnel connections at Bang Sue MRT but will, instead, come above ground to terminate. This sounds ridiculous, which makes it completely plausible given the lack of systemic thinking in planning connections between the different lines. Anyone heard anything about this? Just a minor detail, but one I found interesting.

I am not sure if you friend has seen the plans or perhaps you misunderstood something but the 1.2km Blue Line ext to Taopoon will definately connect with the current subway as it will connect when construction starts soon for the rest of the Blue ring line. It is correct that the station will be elevated at Tao Poon where it will interchange with the Purple Line. You can find the station design on the SSC thread linked earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my summary of all the lines and extensions of all metro lines to be completed by 2029 (realistically when your grandchildren are retiring). However, this will change again and again especially if or when we have a change of government next year.

1) BTS ext On Nut to Soi Baering (open 12 Aug 2011)

2) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Taling Chan (est open early to mid 2012)

3) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai (open early 2014)

B ) Lines tendered and contacts signed

4) MRT subway Blue Line ring ext and Bang Khae ext (construction to start end of 2010, opening 2016)

Note: last week the National Assembly and NCCC are reviewing these tenders due to allegation of curruption and collussion during the tendering process which may lead to retender of the 5 contracts.

C) Lines currently under tender

5) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Rangsit

5a) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE & S intercity trains,

6) MRT Subway Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon (1 station),

7) BTS ext from Wong Wian Yai to Phetkasem road (viaduct built years ago and only needs tender for 4 stations. BMA gov said in Feb it would be done by end of 2011 but tender may be done by end of the year with a completion deadline for end of 2012)

8 ) BTS Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext (expected to be tendered next year but that has been said for the last 5 yrs. Original completion date was 2008),

9) BTS ext from Soi Baering to Samut Prakhan,

10) Orange Line,

11) Pink Line (mono-rail!!!)

12) Yellow Line

G) Thereafter:

Updated info on all of these lines (and other mass transit projects) can be found on Skyscrapercity (SSC) in Thai, http://www.skyscrape...=367&order=desc

or 2Bangkok in english, http://www.angkor.co...forum/index.php.

I thought it was time to update the above to reflect developments of the last 6 months as a couple of exts have advanced. Remember, the latest network map is linked on the 1st page (#9).

1) BTS ext On Nut to Soi Bearing (open 12 Aug 2011)

2) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Taling Chan (est open now late 2012)

3) BTS ext from Wong Wian Yai to Bang Wah (Dec 2012)

4) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai (opens early 2014)

5) MRT Blue Line ring ext (subway) and Bang Khae/Phetkasem rd ext (preliminary works started 24 June. Completion 2016)

B ) Lines tendered and contact to be signed

6) BTS Bearing to Paknam ext (awarded, contract to be signed, work expected to start Oct 11)

C) Lines with a delayed tender

7) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Rangsit

7a) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE & S intercity trains,

8) MRT Subway Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon (1 station),

9) BTS Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext (expected to be tendered next year but that has been said for the last 5 yrs. Original completion date was 2008),

F) Next batch of lines:

10) Orange Line - at advanced planning

11) Pink Line (mono-rail!) - considered a priority due to new Government Complex. Expect tender 2012.

12) Yellow Line

G) Thereafter:

H) Monorail:

I didn't mention it before but the BMA has plans for 10 monorail feeded lines but to be frank most seem unlikely to advance. The reality is that a couple of monorail firms have been courting decision makers in the last few years pushing monorail projects for BKK. Hopefully most will not see the light of day.

The Mass Transit election plans of the two major parties are essentially the same so don't expect too many changes post election.

• 1 month later...

9) BTS Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext (expected to be tendered next year but that has been said for the last 5 yrs. Original completion date was 2008),

Any idea on the current situation with this? Originally you mentioned tender was expected 'next year' in your post written in 2010, has this come to light yet in 2011, do you know? I'm sure I remember reading another post saying people have reported seeing the construction started already. It also alludes to construction starting in 2011 in this article.

Any idea on the current situation with this? Originally you mentioned tender was expected 'next year' in your post written in 2010, has this come to light yet in 2011, do you know? I'm sure I remember reading another post saying people have reported seeing the construction started already. It also alludes to construction starting in 2011 in this article.

No tender yet, no contract and definately no construction. The whole thing is a mess.

The MRTA wanted to build a depot for the line on some land at to the south of Don Mueang Airport behind Kaset uni but they couldn't obtain the land. This map shows what they wanted;

rea05040951p2ch8.jpg

Thus the MRTA is looking at some other plot around Kukot. The silly thing is that the whole line is already designed from Mo Chit to Spahan Mai (11.4km) and the further extension to Lam Lukka (18.4km). Yet the tender process is delayed until the depot site is confirmed.

A smart decision maker would have at least tendered the line from Mo Chit to Kaset- Namawin intersection so that at least a further 5-6 stations could be built to get the process started (esp as there is an elevated section of Phahonyothin road north of Ratcha intersection which needs ot be demolished) but of course for some reason the whole ext needs to be built at once rather than in stages. Apart from the elevated road there is a very unique design feature of this extension regarding passing over Vihavadi and under the DM expressway. All of which will make the construction timetable long.

If this ext is contracted sometime next year I will be happily surprised.

Transport Min to begin building 3 more BTS lines this year

BANGKOK, 23 August 2011 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry has promised to begin the construction of three new routes of the BTS Skytrain within this

year while more studies will be conducted in detail for other pending lines.

After chairing an event to commemorate the 19th anniversary of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA)’s establishment, Transport

Minister Air Chief Marshal Sukumpol Suwanatat revealed that the Ministry would press on with the construction of ten more BTS routes in Bangkok. Within this

year, he said three lines were expected to have their bidding processes completed and construction commenced.

The three new lines consist of the Green Line extensions from Mo Chit to Saphan Mai and from Bearing to Samut

Prakan, the Orange Line from Taling Chan to Min Buri with a distance of 37.5 kilometers and the Pink line from Khae Rai to Min Buri with a distance of 36

kilometers.

As for the existing master plan covering a total of 12 BTS routes, ACM Sukumpol insisted that it was appropriate; however, some routes might be extended to cater to more commuters. He said the Ministry thus far had not studied the matter and would need to do so thoroughly in due course.

This is posted here to respond to a couple of queries in another thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/492554-transport-min-to-begin-building-3-more-bts-skytrain-lines-this-year/

There has been a few articles in the press in the last week stating that 3 new lines will start before the end of the year. The reality is that they are all puff pieces and if more than one of these lines is contracted by the end of the year it will be a pleasant surprise. It will be great if the BTS ext to Saphan Mai is contracted before the end of the year but it looks highly doubtful (I could posts 3 years of article where a similar statement was made that work was about "soon"). If the MRTA can contract the line in the first half of 2012 it will be a very good outcome.

Pink Line, it was expected that this line would be contracted with construction commencing in the first quarter of 2012. There is still the major issue of if it will be the world's longest monorail line - as currently planned - with the obvious capacity limitations or if wiser heads will prevail and it will revert to heavy rail metro. The Pink Line will be whollly elevated.

Orange Line, at advance planning and was due to be tendered in 2012/13 but now has been given a greater priority given the intervention of HM. This line could be tendered later this year but still doubtful. The interesting aspect will be which section of the line is tendered first as the MRTA planned to do the TCC (MRT line station) to Bangkapi and Miniburi section first. However, HM is more interested in seeing the western section built first to alleviate traffic congestion around Siraj hospital and Pinklao. The Orange Line will be mostly underground.

• 2 months later...

1) BTS ext On Nut to Soi Bearing (open 12 Aug 2011)

2) SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Taling Chan (est open now late 2012)

3) BTS ext from Wong Wian Yai to Bang Wah (Dec 2012)

4) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai (opens early 2014)

5) MRT Blue Line ring ext (subway) and Bang Khae/Phetkasem rd ext (preliminary works started 24 June. Completion 2016)

B ) Lines tendered and contact to be signed

6) BTS Bearing to Paknam ext (awarded, contract to be signed, work expected to start Oct 11)

It almost goes without saying that construction works on all lines have been severely disrupted by flooding, esp the Purple and Red lines which halted most works 2-3 weeks ago. Blue line works on Phetkasem rd and Charan Sanitwong rd were at a preliminary stage but site access is now impossible. There has been much discussion on the thai forums regarding the Blue line tunnel under the river and if it can cope with major flood events.

The contractor for the BTS WWY to Bang Wah ext, though all dry on this route, is having trouble getting materials (cement etc) and workers to the site and halted work on the 4th. The line has a strict deadline of 5 Dec 12 for an opening in the contract so even a week or two disruption will have an impact as work is already behind schedule.

Preliminary works on the BTS Bearing to Paknam ext were due to start now but early next year looks realistic.

The MRTA and Min of Transport is stating flooding may also delay by 12-18 months the tendering of the Pink and Orange lines which were envisaged to occur in the first half of next year. Budget constraints will be a major issue.

I'll update once the floods recede but if anyone has any specific queries on a particular line I'll do my best.

You can peruse the above mentioned sites for pics of flooded construction sites.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll update once the floods recede but if anyone has any specific queries on a particular line I'll do my best.

I know the floods haven't completely receded yet, but are things any clearer as to the recommencement of any delayed work? Also (and I know this is a long shot), has there been any update on the tendering of the extension north of Mo Chit?

Archived