The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
A) Current lines under construction;

3) BTS ext from Wong Wian Yai to Bang Wah (Dec 2012)

The BMA announced just before NYs that only 2 of the 4 stations will open on 5 Dec 2012, being Phothinimit S9) & Ratchadapisek (S10) stations.

This is partially due to flooding delays but mainly due to the fact that land appropriation (Highways Dept) and design issues with the terminal station at Bang Wah and interchange with the Blue Line have not been finalised. (Both extensions have only been planned for the last 10 yrs .......)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll update once the floods recede but if anyone has any specific queries on a particular line I'll do my best.

I know the floods haven't completely receded yet, but are things any clearer as to the recommencement of any delayed work? Also (and I know this is a long shot), has there been any update on the tendering of the extension north of Mo Chit?

Apols that I missed your query. No update that I am aware of as still sorting out the issue of finding a suitable depot. I post any significant news if and when it happens.

All very silly as mentioned previously, the smart thing to do would be to divide the ext up and get the section from Mo Chit up to Major built as a start now (or 4 yrs ago!!) which would add 3-4 stations to the line which could thus be serviced by existing rolling stock (esp as by the time it opened all 35 Suk line trains would be 4 cars by then).

The MRTA has announced that preliminary work on the 13km Bearing to Paknam ext (mentioned at the top of the page #51) will begin on 1 March. (Obviously the Oct 2011 start date didn't happen due to the floods)

The MRTA has contracted the ext as it is beyond BMA citylimits being wholly in Samut Prakhan province.

Construction of the viaduct and stations is planned to take 3 years which should be about right. The delays typically come with the electrical systems and signalling as has been the case with the WWY ext and the Bearing ext. Guessing a Aug or Dec 2016 opening??

Thanks for the further updates. Looking forward to more outer Sukhumvit construction starting in March then!

Incidentally, something else I thought of the other day, there are 2 supposedly "planned" stations along the existing lines, one between Ari and Saphan Khwai and another between Chong Nonsi and Surasak. Any idea if they're going ahead? I'm guessing probably not for the foreseeable future...

Incidentally, something else I thought of the other day, there are 2 supposedly "planned" stations along the existing lines, one between Ari and Saphan Khwai and another between Chong Nonsi and Surasak. Any idea if they're going ahead? I'm guessing probably not for the foreseeable future...

Yes that would be N6 & S4. I think most have accepted years ago that both stations will most likely never be built.

I'll update once the floods recede but if anyone has any specific queries on a particular line I'll do my best.

I know the floods haven't completely receded yet, but are things any clearer as to the recommencement of any delayed work? Also (and I know this is a long shot), has there been any update on the tendering of the extension north of Mo Chit?

Apols that I missed your query. No update that I am aware of as still sorting out the issue of finding a suitable depot. I post any significant news if and when it happens.

All very silly as mentioned previously, the smart thing to do would be to divide the ext up and get the section from Mo Chit up to Major built as a start now (or 4 yrs ago!!) which would add 3-4 stations to the line which could thus be serviced by existing rolling stock (esp as by the time it opened all 35 Suk line trains would be 4 cars by then).

I would be grateful for any news on whether the red line will be extended from Taling Chan to Salaya as has been mentioned in earlier posts.

Many thanks!

Yes that would be N6 & S4. I think most have accepted years ago that both stations will most likely never be built.

Yeah, as I suspected. To be honest, probably not much point in spending the money on building them now I'd have thought.

I would be grateful for any news on whether the red line will be extended from Taling Chan to Salaya as has been mentioned in earlier posts.

Many thanks!

Yes it most likely will but it is currently subject to a feasibility study and EIA by a consultant.

Current construction is about 86% done as of 25 Jan according to the SRT's site. The Red Line was originally meant to take 3 years to construct and open by mid 2012 but with expected delays and then last years floods mid to late 2013 is my guess. Still no rolling stock ordered and there is an issue about the Bang Sue end.

The SRT still needs ot get its house in order. Priority is the Rangsit line and Bang Sue terminal tenders. I suspect next year Salaya ext might get approved but then there will be an issue of funds?

LG, Are there any "realistic" plans to duplicate the track at Saphan Taksin?

Not really sure how it could be done without closing the station and all those beyond it? Which, as they're just extending it now, I doubt they'd want to do.

Theoretically, they could move the station away from the river where there is more room to build over the road going towards the bridge over the river. I don't think there is any way they could have 2 platforms where the station currently is. Once the station is moved, they would dismantle the current platform and lay new tracks.

^ Yes, but there would still be a period of closure (albeit not as long as if they closed it for the entire duration of the construction).

Another way is they could have it on 2 levels on top of each other, one going towards Thonburi and the other towards Surasak.This would involve less construction as they would just have to modify the existing station rather than building a whole new one, and change the tracks to start going up-hill further back along the line.

LG, Are there any "realistic" plans to duplicate the track at Saphan Taksin?

Not really sure how it could be done without closing the station and all those beyond it? Which, as they're just extending it now, I doubt they'd want to do.

Theoretically, they could move the station away from the river where there is more room to build over the road going towards the bridge over the river. I don't think there is any way they could have 2 platforms where the station currently is. Once the station is moved, they would dismantle the current platform and lay new tracks.

The plan floated over a year ago by the BMA and Highways dept was to realign the eastbound lanes (south side of the station) by extending the bridge width 1-2 lanes to the south - I guess by building a whole new viaduct alongside the current city side of the span or re-engineering the whole bridge - which would allow space for a new platform to be built over the current air space of the 3rd lane. There was a render somewhere on a SSC thread. I'll see if I can find it.

I have had and agree with the idea that it would be cheaper and simpler to just build a new platform or station above Charoen Krung road where there is the air space above the road. Then just have an internal pedestrian link under the BTS viaduct linking with the main station. For the long term the station needs to be expanded given the amount of pax from both the GK rd end and the river end. Thus, this would assist for future capacity.

Whatever ends up happening don't expect it before the Bang Wah ext is finally opened in Aug 13.

• 1 month later...

I hear construction is supposed to be starting next month for the extension beyond Bearing into Samut Prakan, can you also verify this? Apparently not opening until 2016 though! Do you know of any other constructions are starting, tenders signed, etc?

That was my source too, I was just wondering if Lakegeneve (the fountain of all BTS knowledge ;)) had any more info. Also, if construction starts in April, and it takes 45 months to complete, that takes us to January 2016 not 2017...

dantilley: learn to read: as this extension is on another thread already, quite opposite aprt of town vs Nonthburi.

learn to think: after they finish the viaducts etc in concrete-they need ample time to put down rails, SIGNALS +system behind it (the most vulnerable and difficult part for most of these lines), finish all the stations with desks, machines etc. and perhaps even have to wait for too late ordered new cars. For the real afficionados"on this forum lakegeneve, as another name, also reads the latest news and pix: forum.2bangkok.com

dantilley: learn to read: as this extension is on another thread already, quite opposite aprt of town vs Nonthburi.

learn to think: after they finish the viaducts etc in concrete-they need ample time to put down rails, SIGNALS +system behind it (the most vulnerable and difficult part for most of these lines), finish all the stations with desks, machines etc. and perhaps even have to wait for too late ordered new cars. For the real afficionados"on this forum lakegeneve, as another name, also reads the latest news and pix: forum.2bangkok.com

This thread has become a general discussion of the BTS extensions, and I was referring to the extension east past Bearing. Obviously that has nothing to do with Nonthaburi.

45 months I understood as being the total time to get everything ready, which takes us to 2016.

• 1 month later...

That was my source too, I was just wondering if Lakegeneve (the fountain of all BTS knowledge wink.png) had any more info. Also, if construction starts in April, and it takes 45 months to complete, that takes us to January 2016 not 2017...

Sorry dantilley but I haven't posted in TV for a while. I thought that this was dealt with in post#65? Preliminary works were meant to start in March but I drove nearly the whole route in mid April and work had not commenced by then so not sure if the contractor has started yet. I'll try to check.

I suggested in post#65 that an opening in Aug or Dec 2016 would be likely but really we'll just have to wait to see how it unfolds as not one BTS ext has opened anywhere near on schedule. (refer to previous posts on the issue).

I had spent 45 mins updating the network summary list. Alas in a brain dead manner that one sometimes has in the wee hours I just managed to delete the whole update. Perhaps, tomorrow.....

This is the planned network map by 2029 for those who missed it on page 1.

map2572.jpg

Also as requested by someone earlier this incomplete network map on a google page another site may be useful for some;

http://www.bkkmrt.com/drupal/mydoc/mymap.php

I had wanted to post an update summary of construction earlier this year but the reality was with the delays due to last years floods, it was better to wait awhile until some dates and timelines became clearer. I have updated completion dates in bold for the 3 main lines affected by the floods. Typically we are looking at 6 month plus delays.

I have started to include some basic info on the lines for ref. purposes. My suggested dates of line construction in sections (F) & (G) may note match the Master Plan dates. The reality is that if half of what is planned by 2020 is done and 75% of the Master Plan is completed by 2029, then we'll be doing very well!

The change of govt has not meant any major changes to plans (as canvassed prior to the election) however the Airport Line ext to DMK has been given a greater priority given the policy change re: DMK by the PT govt in adopting a 2 airport policy. The Orange Line is also a greater priority at the western end after intervention by HM.

Don't take this as gospel, info is sourced from a variety of sources; plans will change, dates are never met when it comes to mass transit implementation, politics and dysfunction abounds in this policy area. As usual, feel free to ask any query which any TV members are also encouraged to respond.

A) Current lines under construction;

1) BTS ext from Wong Wian Yai to Bang Wah 5.3km, 4 stations (2 stations, Dec 2012. Now 2 stations Aug 2013)

2) SRT Light Red Line from Bang Sue to Taling Chan: 15km, 6 stations (Now mid-late2013)*

3) MRTA Subway Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon: 1.2km, 1 station (2014)

4) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai: 23km, 16 stations (now 2015)

5) MRTA Blue Line ring ext (subway) and Bang Khae/Phetkasem rd ext (Completion 2016 plus 6 months)

a) Bang Sue - Tha Phra, 13.1 km with 7 elevated stations,

B) Hua Lamphong - Lak SOng, 13.9 km (including 4 underground stations).

6) BTS Bearing to Paknam ext : 12.6km, 7 stations (Work started April? (TBC), opens 2016)

*Note: SRT Light Red is metre gauge, diesal. To be electrified at a later date after opening.

B ) Lines tendered but delayed/to be retendered

7) SRT Dark Red Line from Bang Sue to Rangsit: 26km, 8 stations*

7a) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE & S intercity trains.

*Note: SRT Dark Red Line is metre gauge, electric

C) Lines reportedly close to tender;

11) Pink Line: 36km, 26 stations (mono-rail!) - considered a priority due to new Government Complex. Expect tender 2012. Comment: this would be the world's longest operation mono rail line. Still hoping it will be heavy rail but debate is ongoing.

D) Lines which have disappeared into a Thai vortex of confusion;

9) BTS Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext: 11.4km, 11 staions (expected to be tendered this year but that has been said for the last 5 yrs. Original completion date was 2008). Still finalising depot site issue as far as I know.

F) Next batch of lines: (2013-2019)

10) Airport Line from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meung (DMK): 21.8km, 5 stations

11) Orange Line: 37km - at advanced planning & greater priority since HM requested solutions to traffic problems near Sirij Hospital. Phase 1 TCC to Bangkapi

13) Yellow Line: 30.4km, 21 stations. Phase 1 Latphrao to Hua Mark.

G) Thereafter: (2020 >)

14) Purple Line ext south. Taopoon to WWY then to Ratburna: 26.8 km.

15) Dark Red Line from Bang Sue to Hualumphong to Mahachai: 59km

16)BTS ext from Saphan Mai to Lam Lukka: 14km, 9 stations

17) Grey Line: 26km. Rama 9 Bridge to Kaset-Nawamin/Ram Inthra.

18) Black Line: 9.5km, 9 stations. Sathon to Din Daeng.

19)SRT Red Line ext from Taling Chan to Makkansan and east adjacent to Airport Line(route still uncertain)

20) Purple Line north (TBC). 4.5km ext to Sai Noi intersection.

H) Monorail:

Not much to update as many plans due to lobbying efforts from couple of mono rail companies. Only real update is that the planned monorail for Chula Uni campus has been shelved.

• 4 weeks later...
6) BTS Bearing to Paknam ext : 12.6km, 7 stations (Work started April? (TBC), opens 2016)

The contractor has belatedly started preliminary site works on 30 May for the BTS Paknam extension.

This map by Khun Codename is also quite good as it easily distinguishes what is currently under construction from what is planned:

bangkokmasstransit.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Writing this on a 4-carriage train on the Sukhumvit line. Hopefully a sign of things to come!

The 35 Siemens cars that have been ordered are due to start arriving from August. Thus after a test phase, in the later few months of the year we'll start to gradually see the 35 3 car Siemens sets become 35 4 car sets.

That was my source too, I was just wondering if Lakegeneve (the fountain of all BTS knowledge wink.png) had any more info. Also, if construction starts in April, and it takes 45 months to complete, that takes us to January 2016 not 2017...

Sorry dantilley but I haven't posted in TV for a while. I thought that this was dealt with in post#65? Preliminary works were meant to start in March but I drove nearly the whole route in mid April and work had not commenced by then so not sure if the contractor has started yet. I'll try to check.

I suggested in post#65 that an opening in Aug or Dec 2016 would be likely but really we'll just have to wait to see how it unfolds as not one BTS ext has opened anywhere near on schedule. (refer to previous posts on the issue).

Preliminary works did finally commence in June and you can view a Thai news report on Sukhumvit road conditions which gives some idea of what it currently looks like;

Archived