The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

12 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

Hi dantilley, you must feel like a broken record having to ask the same questions for the last few years

Yes, definitely... as a regular user of the Airport Link, and seeing how desperately it needs more trains, this level of incompetence is particularly frustrating for all of the 1000s of daily users. Even the getting trains under maintenance back running again would help - yet there seems to be no sign of that happening either.

Surely they must be embarrassed by the terrible service and the poor state of the system? Anyway clearly not as it's still dragging on. As you said, we just have to wait and see what happens!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has the situation at the ARL gone better regarding ticket sales?
Two weeks ago it was an absolute mess and chaos because they were not selling tickets at the counter anymore, only machines.
Long queues both at the airport and makkasan station.

Another question, to my memory the introduction of the Mangmoom card is long overdue. But I haven't seen any new promotion or information at the MRT stations except the one for the special welfare card.

And lastly, could it be that the MRT stored value card need to be put quite close and for a long time near the card reader at the gates or is it just my impression?
For example the Skidata system at winter sport facilities you can have the card in your jacket and just need to pass near the card reader and the gate opens immediately. From my impression this process is much quicker and can facilitate more people at a given time.

Keeping the Passengers Safe - Episode One

With the impending opening of the BTS past Samrong on December 5th final preparations, staff training and testing is in progress under the watchful eye of the ICE (Independant Certification Engineer) who has the final say as to whether the railway actually opens.

Today's scenario - Train breakdown needing evacuation between stations.

9.30 AM The victims (actually most of BTS's admin staff) await their train at Samrong station.

20181124_091337.jpg

We take a short train ride to about halfway between E16 and E17 where the train "breaks down". There was a pause at E16 to let off a "real" passenger who had managed to get past the security chaps directing them to the "real" train on the opposite side of Samrong platform. :whistling:

After a wait to ensure the power is off everyone exits via the evacuation ramp at the front of the train.

20181124_101926.jpg

Then we get a nice walk down the track.

1543037399221.jpg 

1543045292501.jpg

and a head count to ensure nobody has been left behind.

20181124_103150.jpg

Test pass ????

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

With the impending opening of the BTS past Samrong on December 5th final preparations, staff training and testing is in progress under the watchful eye of the ICE (Independant Certification Engineer) who has the final say as to whether the railway actually opens.

Today's scenario - Train breakdown needing evacuation between stations.

9.30 AM The victims (actually most of BTS's admin staff) await their train at Samrong station.

We take a short train ride to about halfway between E16 and E17 where the train "breaks down". There was a pause at E16 to let off a "real" passenger who had managed to get past the security chaps directing them to the "real" train on the opposite side of Samrong platform. :whistling:

After a wait to ensure the power is off everyone exits via the evacuation ramp at the front of the train.

Then we get a nice walk down the track.

and a head count to ensure nobody has been left behind.

Test pass ????

Very cool - thanks for sharing!

Keeping the Passengers Safe - Episode Two

Today's scenario - Station fire with injuries.

Video this time in the best Blair Witch Project shaky-cam style. The chaos was a lot more organised than it seems in the video - honest ????

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

1543037399221.jpg 

Is that you in the Hi-Vis vest  ?

Wouldn't it be safer to walk  not on the track but on the side kerb...in case the train started moving again ( hacked WiFi ???? )

1 minute ago, johng said:

Is that you in the Hi-Vis vest  ?

It is I, I cannot tell a lie ????

Traction power is off, train brakes locked out, it's going nowhere. Not sure if they also chock the wheels in this instance.

The evacuation system for the Siemens trains is via a front ramp then walk between the rails. The cover over the cable trough (on the right of that photo) isn't really designed for walking on and some of the segments rattle rather alarmingly. Also, if you stand on the cover the balustrade isn't very high, we don't want passengers to be rescued by falling off.

There are hazards with walking between the rails, there's a 6" gap every so often where the viaduct expansion joints are which requires stepping over and the signaling beacons are also between the rails. They have a bright yellow cover, yes someone tripped over one (whilst videoing of course - no not me).

This scenario is a last ditch option, it's always preferable to get the train to a station and evacuate via the regular doors and the platform.

On 11/24/2018 at 5:18 PM, Crossy said:

It is I, I cannot tell a lie ????

Traction power is off, train brakes locked out, it's going nowhere. Not sure if they also chock the wheels in this instance.

The evacuation system for the Siemens trains is via a front ramp then walk between the rails. The cover over the cable trough (on the right of that photo) isn't really designed for walking on and some of the segments rattle rather alarmingly. Also, if you stand on the cover the balustrade isn't very high, we don't want passengers to be rescued by falling off.

There are hazards with walking between the rails, there's a 6" gap every so often where the viaduct expansion joints are which requires stepping over and the signaling beacons are also between the rails. They have a bright yellow cover, yes someone tripped over one (whilst videoing of course - no not me).

This scenario is a last ditch option, it's always preferable to get the train to a station and evacuate via the regular doors and the platform.

Thanks Crossy, I'm glad you guys are on top of this. 

Just as it is about to cease being the terminus station on the line, I'm happy to report Samrong station now seems to be "nearly complete", 18 months or so after it opened. 

There are now ticket booths and turnstiles operating at both ends of the platform and also entrances opened at what I guess were shop properties before.  The only remaining order of business seems to be the protective doors on the platform are fitted but not enabled yet.

I'm finally satisfied with this station being actually fit for purpose, but all in vain as I probably won't use it again after December 5th. ????

One question about what happens after the extension opens...

Currently, when I board at Asok in the mornings, the trains currently seem to alternate between finishing up at Bearing or Samrong....sometimes Bang Na.  Once the new section of line opens, will some trains still be terminating around there, or will all trains be finishing up at Kheha (E23)?

41 minutes ago, FarangryBirds said:

Just as it is about to cease being the terminus station on the line, I'm happy to report Samrong station now seems to be "nearly complete", 18 months or so after it opened. 

There are now ticket booths and turnstiles operating at both ends of the platform and also entrances opened at what I guess were shop properties before.  The only remaining order of business seems to be the protective doors on the platform are fitted but not enabled yet.

I'm finally satisfied with this station being actually fit for purpose, but all in vain as I probably won't use it again after December 5th. ????

One question about what happens after the extension opens...

Currently, when I board at Asok in the mornings, the trains currently seem to alternate between finishing up at Bearing or Samrong....sometimes Bang Na.  Once the new section of line opens, will some trains still be terminating around there, or will all trains be finishing up at Kheha (E23)?

is the station, and the stations beyond, properly equipped with escalators and elevators to cater for the

physically challenged users or have they been conveniently forgotten?

20 hours ago, FarangryBirds said:
On 11/27/2018 at 6:33 PM, melvinmelvin said:

is the station, and the stations beyond, properly equipped with escalators and elevators to cater for the
physically challenged users or have they been conveniently forgotten?

I can't speak for all stations but I've definitely noticed elevators at a few of them.

All the new stations have elevators from ground to concourse and concourse to platform.

On 11/27/2018 at 5:48 PM, FarangryBirds said:

I don't have access to the actual timetable, but since only 3 of the (IIRC) 20 new trains that were ordered to service the new section are available for operation when it opens on Dec 5th I expect the service to be somewhat limited. See:-

It is free after all ????

On 10/15/2010 at 7:02 AM, Crossy said:

It's the first stage of the Red Line. Rangsit - Bang Sue - Taling Chan

I've got a map but it's carp, over compressed and unreadable, I'll see if I can hunt out another.

I thought there was something fishy about it...

So they upgraded the ticket system and the ticket machines of the BTS but still no machine to top up your value stored cards or am I wrong?
I saw an ad on the BTS screens this morning that seemed to infer you can also do it through the Rabbit Pay app?

Being able to top up Rabbit cards at Mini BigC and Tesco Express is a good idea, except for those stores being rarer than hens teeth compared to 7 Eleven or Family Mart.

I saw an ad on the BTS screens this morning that seemed to infer you can also do it through the Rabbit Pay app?

Being able to top up Rabbit cards at Mini BigC and Tesco Express is a good idea, except for those stores being rarer than hens teeth compared to 7 Eleven or Family Mart.
I'll try that.
Top up via any mobile banking app or ATM would also be a nice idea!

14 hours ago, CLW said:

So they upgraded the ticket system and the ticket machines of the BTS but still no machine to top up your value stored cards or am I wrong?

You are (slightly) wrong.

The machines which accept banknotes will be able to top-up Rabbit cards, "soon".

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You are (slightly) wrong.

The machines which accept banknotes will be able to top-up Rabbit cards, "soon".

Crossy, now that I realize that you work for the BTS dudes, please tell them that they are doing an excellent job and if they ever want some constructive criticism instead of whinging just let me know. ????

There a few places in the world that I can roll like a fat stone all over the place for $5 or less a day. Try that in NYC or LA or Tokyo.

Archived