The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote "That is perhaps not surprising given that mass transit planning & implementation in Bangkok is both dysfunctional and poorly managed. The lack of a single co-ordinating body leads to many delays and competing plans"

As Hopewell of HongKong discovered after building miles of pillars..

Trying to find a MRT pink line extension map showing where the station will be in Watcharapol?

RAZZ

According to the 2009 Master Plan, the approximate site location is near Ram Intra Soi 38.

Actually, as an extra 6 stations were added last year some of the station sites have changed and the station will be slightly further west though still near soi 38.

The station will be located near Ram Inthra sois 59 & 61, where the Auto Max is located. There are vacant blocks on either side which will provide easier access to the station which will also be slightly larger for future interchange. The next station - at this stage called Ram Inthra 40 - will be located between Ram Inthra 40 and 42 (Esso station on the opp side)

You can see in this map of the line where Watcharapon station is number station 21 - it will eventually be an interchange station with the future Grey line.

rea05011055p1.jpg

Why is the new Sky train line out at Bang Sue so tall?

post-119133-0-75712000-1364985448_thumb.

Firstly two quick things. Just so it is clear, there is no BTS or Skytrain as it is more commonly know near Bang Sue. The MRTA Purple Line runs to Taopoon, about 1.2km west of Bang Sue. The MRTA Blue Line - currently subway - is being extended west from Bang Sue to Taopoon and then further across the river. No elevated metro line at Bang Sue.

Check this map;

content_MRT%20Purple%20and%20Blue%20Line

You seem to have posted a pic of the Purple Line, right? Can you state the exact location pls?

For interest, the Blue line will be as high as a 12 storey building when it pass PATA junction near Pinklao as it has to pass over two elevated rds!!

The picture is fvrom where the MRTA line turns right toward the Ministry of Public Health station.

Still why so tall?

Okay yes I know where you mean, from Bangkok-Nonthaburi rd to Tiwanon rd. I have a vague recollection about something to do with a future elevated road or overpass which will pass under but I really can't remember and will need to check. A future East - West Expressway is planned to be built south of there but much closer to the Red Line route so this wouldn't seem to be the issue.

A couple of Monorail proposals:

Not a fan of long monorail lines - as the Pink Line is proposed to be - as they only really suitable for small, short feeder lines. Such has been proposed for both the Makkasan and Bang Sue redevelopments. However, monorail companies have been lobbying officials in BKK for the last 5 years resulting in a number of proposals. Many of those proposals would be better served as a light rail metro/tram.

Chula Uni Monorail Loop

The Chula monorail proposal is back on with the BMA reworking the previous Chula Uni monorail to come up with a 2 stage, 6km long, 11 station plan. A consultant is currently scoping the idea and engaging in some preliminary public consultation. If approved, construction of Phase 1 (the purple line on the map) is proposed to start in 2014 for completion in 2016

13656175211365617555l.jpg

Paknam to Airport monorail proposal

A study is being conducted to evaluate the feasibility of building a 23km monorail link between what will be the end of the BTS Dark Green line at Paknam (E28) and the Airport in fast growing Samut Prakhan province. The study should be complete by the end of the year.

3301iy.jpg

http://www.thanonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=180498:-23&catid=128:-real-estate-&Itemid=478

Most likely this will not end up being approved as it would be more feasible to complete the BTS Dark Green spur line along Bang Na Trat rd (see previous page) to the Airport first. Thereafter, a short link could be built to link the two BTS lines. Or both lines could even be linked as a BTS extension.

I also don't see the point in running the line along the west perimeter of the Airport when it could enter via the south direct to the future Terminal 3 which will be built south of the current Terminal. (Which is the plan for the future BTS line mentioned above)

Both these monorail lines could be easily served by an efficient bus route with dedicated bus lanes that are actually enforced. Bangkok residents don't have much trust in the bus system because it isn't run as efficiently as the trains, but in more developed countries buses are used almost everywhere and are as efficient as the trains themselves. What would it take for people in Bangkok to start using the buses? Id say they should have a large display on top to show the direction the bus is heading, they should also have stop announcements and use Google transit to make everything easier and integrate the routes. Or does taking the bus make you lose 'face' and is that the reason why most people avoid it?

What would it take for people in Bangkok to start using the buses?

?? Tons of people already do.

Also don't forget the road congestion.

I'm talking about the mass adoption of bus usage. From my personal experience a lot of people still look down on the buses, whenever I say that I'm going to take the bus somewhere the responses I get from people are usually, buses are for lower-class/poor people, buses are unsafe and girls simply saying "eww" whenever the buses are mentioned. There still is a massive perception problem with using buses for transport. Road congestion can be eradicated if there is a mass adoption by the people (which would mean less cars on the road = less congestion). Special bus lanes could be instated and will work well if they are actually enforced properly and would stop the road congestion problem. The buses here are no where near max capacity as a lot of routes the buses aren't anywhere near full (some routes they are of course), but in cities like Vancouver where buses have become the mainstream mode of transport, the buses are full to the brim and work extremely well. The Chula monorail line is already well served by buses, but I guarantee you that if a monorail is ever installed you will see a drastic reduction in traffic in the area. Why are people fine with taking the trains and not the buses? That is one of the things that needs to be fixed in order for Bangkok to fully develop it's public transport system. Trains cannot go everywhere and the current park and ride concept should be scrapped in favor of a bus feeder system concept.

I'm talking about the mass adoption of bus usage. From my personal experience a lot of people still look down on the buses, whenever I say that I'm going to take the bus somewhere the responses I get from people are usually, buses are for lower-class/poor people, buses are unsafe and girls simply saying "eww" whenever the buses are mentioned. There still is a massive perception problem with using buses for transport. Road congestion can be eradicated if there is a mass adoption by the people (which would mean less cars on the road = less congestion). Special bus lanes could be instated and will work well if they are actually enforced properly and would stop the road congestion problem. The buses here are no where near max capacity as a lot of routes the buses aren't anywhere near full (some routes they are of course), but in cities like Vancouver where buses have become the mainstream mode of transport, the buses are full to the brim and work extremely well. The Chula monorail line is already well served by buses, but I guarantee you that if a monorail is ever installed you will see a drastic reduction in traffic in the area. Why are people fine with taking the trains and not the buses? That is one of the things that needs to be fixed in order for Bangkok to fully develop it's public transport system. Trains cannot go everywhere and the current park and ride concept should be scrapped in favor of a bus feeder system concept.

They need to get these rusty hot metal boxes off the road and bring in some comfortable modern buses with aircon. Some UK style double deckers would be good for the job with the aircon upgraded. Even the old 60s Routemasters would serve them better than the smelly heaps I see there.

What would it take for people in Bangkok to start using the buses?

?? Tons of people already do.

Also don't forget the road congestion.

The BMTA has altered a few bus routes to feed the current BTS, ARL & MRT lines. However, until more metro lines are in place then most routes will stay the same. (Note that there is also resistance to change routing in BKK as most bus users know the route they have used for years or decades.) The lower socio-economic issue is pertinent here, buses are for poor people in thais views. That won't change in a hurry not even with the plan to purchase 3200k new gas aircon buses which has been delayed for 4-5 yrs. ( FYI the debt laden BMTA has around 800-900 buses off the road needing repair)

Buses won't do much better in BKK until traffic rules are enforced, bus stops are cleared of parked vehicles and get some priority at intersections and bus lanes are established; as you rightly point out. There are also too many overlapping routes on the high pax corridors (some bus routes have 4 different bus operators for the same route eg. govt. non aircon, govt aircon, private fan, private air-con). This means that some corridors are over serviced with many buses travelling slowly on busy roads whilst other areas are under serviced or have no buses.

There is only 1 current BRT line but it should be noted that the BMA has a plan for 10 BRT lines. OTP in the MOT has another plan for 12 BRT lines. (A little insight into part of what plagues mass transit in BKK - competing agencies). The 2nd BRT line will most likely be one from Mo Chit up Vihavadi to the new Govt Complex Offices on Chaeng Wattana - however not much has been said on this for the last 18 months.

Many forget that the BTS used to have about 5 feeder BTS bus routes but these were scrapped back in 05/06? Once more metro lines are in place, medium size feeder buses should be introduced in many areas with integrated ticketing. The problem will be that local transport (read songthaews, motorcycle taxis and tuk tuks will be highly resistant to idea). Eventually what BKK needs is one large agency running an integrated and coordinated network of all metros, buses, ferries and vans with an integrated ticketing system.

However, that is not envisaged - though the integrated ticketing platform is...eventually.

579337_10200988629623604_1141723609_n.jp

I find it quite ridiculous and sad that Bangkok has a multiple tier public transport system for different socioeconomic levels. Even within the buses there are cheaper non-aircond buses and more expensive aircond buses that run the exact same route. I'm pretty sure running these old and polluting buses over a period of 30-40 years is far more inefficient than using the same amount of extra money you have spent on maintaining and fueling the old buses, to instead subsidize the sky train and MRT routes.

Due to Bangkoks' badly planned "soi and thanon" style of development, motocy taxis have to also be incorporated as a part of the public transport master plan, and perhaps in the future have electric motorbikes and include them in the single ticketing system? Due to their short routes, their bikes can be easily solar charged and in the long run this would definitely save money over petrol.

There needs to be some serious thought and planning to be put into overhauling the entire system and how we see public transport and how we would like to move forward into the future. But first thing is first, how to overcome the problem of successful revenue sharing, which seems to be such a massive problem that is delaying the implementation of a single ticket even on the 3 currently operating electric train systems.

I find it quite ridiculous and sad that Bangkok has a multiple tier public transport system for different socioeconomic levels. Even within the buses there are cheaper non-aircond buses and more expensive aircond buses that run the exact same route. I'm pretty sure running these old and polluting buses over a period of 30-40 years is far more inefficient than using the same amount of extra money you have spent on maintaining and fueling the old buses, to instead subsidize the sky train and MRT routes.

Due to Bangkoks' badly planned "soi and thanon" style of development, motocy taxis have to also be incorporated as a part of the public transport master plan, and perhaps in the future have electric motorbikes and include them in the single ticketing system? Due to their short routes, their bikes can be easily solar charged and in the long run this would definitely save money over petrol.

There needs to be some serious thought and planning to be put into overhauling the entire system and how we see public transport and how we would like to move forward into the future. But first thing is first, how to overcome the problem of successful revenue sharing, which seems to be such a massive problem that is delaying the implementation of a single ticket even on the 3 currently operating electric train systems.

... and make all plane seats first class at economy prices too.

They are spending 2.2 trillion, so it seems to me that your point about Thailand not having enough money seems to be invalid. As i said " running these old and polluting buses over a period of 30-40 years is far more inefficient than using the same amount of extra money you have spent on maintaining and fueling the old buses" for other uses. They do not need a lot of the high speed train routes either, dual tracking trains at 180-200 Km/h is more than enough, more money could be saved there. The incredible amount of corruption could also save A LOT of money if open tenders and more transparency is practiced in governance.

They are spending 2.2 trillion, so it seems to me that your point about Thailand not having enough money seems to be invalid. As i said " running these old and polluting buses over a period of 30-40 years is far more inefficient than using the same amount of extra money you have spent on maintaining and fueling the old buses" for other uses. They do not need a lot of the high speed train routes either, dual tracking trains at 180-200 Km/h is more than enough, more money could be saved there. The incredible amount of corruption could also save A LOT of money if open tenders and more transparency is practiced in governance.

My "point about Thailand not having enough money"???? Not sure where you read that.

My point was about "how ridiculous and sad" it is that "Bangkok has a multiple tier public transport system for different socioeconomic levels" ... and that they should also make all plane seat first class at economy prices too.

<sarcasm>

"I'm pretty sure running these old and polluting buses over a period of 30-40 years is far more inefficient than using the same amount of extra money you have spent on maintaining and fueling the old buses, to instead subsidize the sky train and MRT routes."

No other city in the world has a multi tier public transport system. Even in Indonesia the Philipines, Vietnam Nigeria everyone can afford all mode of public transport because they price it so everyone can afford it. What I meant by Thailand having enough money is that they are throwing away money by building ridiculous high-speed train routes and can instead channel the money towards subsidizing rail transport. This was one of Yinglucks' promises to make all public transport 20 baht for any distance traveled on the skytrain, it may be populist but it will definitely help a lot of the lower income bracket earners. The whole point of this argument was that we get rid of the multiple bus routes by making rail transport affordable and easing congestion on Bangkoks' roads! I really don't understand how making first class seats at economy class prices is even a valid comparison, rail transport is a necessity for transportation in a large dense city. Unfortunately in Amazing Thailand, the non aircond buses are for the very low class, aircond buses for the upper low class, trains for the middle class and cars are for the upper class.

Expressways are for people who prepared to pay for it. Trains and air conditioned buses are for people that are prepared to pay for it. First class is for people that are prepared to pay for it.

Some people prefer to take the slower, less comfortable option because their time is less valuable to them.

Sent from my Phone.

Expressways are for people who prepared to pay for it. Trains and air conditioned buses are for people that are prepared to pay for it. First class is for people that are prepared to pay for it.

Some people prefer to take the slower, less comfortable option because their time is less valuable to them.

Sent from my Phone.

I understand what you are saying, but what I'm trying to say is rail transport shouldn't be a luxury as it was the taxes payed by everyone that allowed for the construction for it in the first place. Rail transport can no longer be a luxury because the duplicating bus routes (non aircond and air cond) as well as the cars are clogging up the roads and any alleviation of Bangkoks' road network would go a long way to solve the traffic and pollution problems. I've seen thick black smoke come off these old buses and it really isn't doing anyone any good, they also guzzle up a lot more fuel than the newer NGV buses and in the long run would also save the BMTA more money.

Taxes paid by everyone...?

Sorry - but this is Thailand - most people don't earn enough to pay any income tax here. Yes - there's VAT, but it's 7%, not 20.

Those that do earn enough to pay tax, Thailand's tax rules are so full of loopholes... (just look at how much tax Thaksin paid on his sale of Shincorp)

From what I can see - a major source of tax revenue to the government that people can't seem to avoid is the tax on imported cars. After all, this is something that people pay SERIOUS amounts of money for (because of the "face" issue), and is taxed at a truly ridiculous level.

Is it a good thing? It seems to work... Thailand is a lot better off than most countries in the west, as they're running huge deficits, although that's more an issue of spending too much - they take in huge amounts of tax revenue.

So if they don't pay taxes they don't get access to better transport infrastructure? I really fail to see a point in investing so much in high speed rail transport when its only to be used by the rich and the poor still use the non-aircond buses. This will definitely happen with the new train systems as well. And before anyone says that of course high-speed trains will only be for the rich, in Malaysia they have priced the dual-tracked semi-high speed long distance trains lower than/equal to the bus prices which gave huge access to the lower class as well. Of course i understand this really isn't a problem that Thailand faces, it's just its sad to see the serious divide between socioeconomic levels and how much a country invests in their respective infrastructure.

This has already been canned almost as quickly as it was seemingly proposed by the PT during the BMA Gov election campaign.

There is a need for an East-West expressway in Bangkok however any government having foresight would be now building metro lines prior to new expressways.

The government yesterday pulled the plug on a light rail project which was originally proposed as a successor to the expressway. However, rather than revive the expressway plan as it was, the government has decided to redraw the proposed route and take it through the city's north. The light rail project was originally introduced to replace a controversial section of expressway near Kasetsart University.

However, the government has decided to abandon the rail project because the land appropriation costs are too high, Deputy Transport Minister Gen Prin Suwannathat said. He said about 40 billion baht would be needed to pay for land appropriation for the light rail project. Land appropriation in the Khae Rai area also faced opposition from residents.

The partial rebirth of Samaks Ring?

As part of the BMA Gov campaign the PT candidate has promised to build a light-rail or monorail past Kasetsart University rather than a previously proposed, new expressway (N3). I'm not sure that will be agreeable to the extra 1m car drivers who benefited from the cash rebate scheme last year.

8465781505_207ed9fcb6_z.jpg
"The red outline is the Kasetsart University campus, while yellow and blue dotted lines indicate two plans for the expressway. Instead, a light rail line now looks more likely."

Thus a new potential line, the Gold line, is being canvassed - how seriously or not, time will tell - to run from Khae Rai intersection (to link with the Purple and Pink lines) along Ngam Wong Wan rd past Kaset Uni and then up Kaset-Namawin rd. (Kaset- Namawin rd for those that know it already has pillars and space for a future planned elevated expressway).

It would then run north to link with the Pink line on Ram Inthra rd. This could be the first time in Bangkok where something sensible is implemented in transport planning resulting in a mass transit line being built BEFORE a new expressway (which will still be built in the future)

It would run as shown;

NewProjectMonorailKaerai-Kubon.jpg

Note: this is an unofficial addition added on to a previous OTP Master plan map.

• 2 weeks later...

The BTS has just released it's Management Discussion and Analysis FY 12/13

Part of that includes ...

As of May 2013, all regular-service trains on the Sukhumvit line have now been extended to 4-cars long. Delivery of an additional five 4-car trains will also be completed within CY 2013 as BTSC completes its second-phase capacity expansion programme. In light of this service enhancement and general increase in operating costs since its last Effective Fare hike in March 2007, BTSC announced a fare increase which will take effect on 1 June 2013. We estimate that this will result in an increase of the average fare by around 6.5% in FY13/14. Progress continues with the BMA‟s construction of the Silom line (Bang Wa) extension. This is expected to be fully operational in December 2013 (2 stations have commenced trial operations already). We expect that the ridership for FY 13/14 will grow 7% - 10% from FY 12/13. Service income from train operation (O&M) is also expected to grow by 25% on the back of this in FY 13/14

Can be found here.

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this ARL update here as the issue of limited rolling stock is relevant for all metro operators, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/369458-airport-rail-link-again-sorry/page-18

You can refer back in the thread for reasons why.

ARL Rolling stock issue - an update

The previously mentioned order for 7 new sets of 4 car rolling stock (5.2billion baht budget approved over a year ago) is still in limbo with MOF & MOT telling the SRT that cheaper versions can be purchased from either China or Spain rather than the Siemens rolling stock. (This is part of a wider struggle to reorganise the ARL)

The appreciation of the baht has resulted in the 5.2b purchase price decreasing to 4.8b baht. Siemens can deliver in 18 months once the order is placed but others would take up to 2 years. Also, if non Siemens rolling stock is ordered an expensive change of the signalling system would be required.

The original plan was to place the order last year given the urgent need for more rolling stock. Also, when each current set reaches 1 million kms - which is expected during 2014 - it will require a major maintenance overhaul which will keep it out of service for many weeks.

Currently, 1 Express train is out of service and pax rates are approaching 55k on some busy days. Daily ave is now consistently over 50k.

In many respects the ARL is too successful even for all of the management and operation problems it has. A lack of cohesive, expeditious decision making within govt agencies is meaning that procuring new rolling stock is painfully slow and pax will suffer longer than they should.

Yet that seems to be the BKK way when ones looks at the BTS history on the issue and the fact that BMCL still does not have any new rolling stock for the MRT. The core reason as I have stated many a time is the seperated, private concession model with heavy indebted operators being unable to purchase rolling stock in time to meet growing pax demand. This will not change in the future as the model is flawed.

• 2 weeks later...

G) Thereafter or under study: (2020 >)

18) Grey Line: 26km. Rama 9 Bridge to Kaset-Nawamin/Ram Inthra. (TBC)

19) Black Line: 9.5km, 9 stations. Sathon to Din Daeng. (TBC)

20) Purple Line north (under feasibility study). 4.5km ext to Sai Noi intersection.

You would have noticed in the summary list that I always list the Grey and Black (Teal/Azure in some places) lines at the bottom of the list. These two lines are the most recent having only been proposed 2-3 years ago. (Though that Ngam Wong Wan - Kaset Namawin line mentioned above may rise again as the Brown line - more on that later).

All other lines have been in proposal for at least a decade with many having undergone modifications and changes due to various combinations of govts, dysfunction and delays. The Grey and Black lines are not part of the current govts priorities, nor were they the previous govts. In fact the current govt made it quite clear that if these 2 lines were to be constructed it would be into the next decade. That seemed reasonable.

Grey Line

However, the BMA has decided that the Grey Line (26km, 21 stations) is a priority and is now pursuing it 100% (if that means anything in a mass transit context). The BMA stated late last week that an EIA will be completed for the line by the end of the year with a view to issuing a tender early next year. The BMA wants this to be, yet another, monorail line (sigh!) and believes that the line can be constructed in a 3 year time frame. That would make 3 potential monorail lines (Pink 100%, Yellow still to be decided and Grey) in BKK. A problem for the future.

I doubt that the timeframe that the BMA has stated is achievable as this line still needs much development. However, it is interesting that the BMA is reportedly so keen to pursue it. It seems the Gov wants a major transport legacy before his term expires. It may also help the Dems votes it what becomes PT strongholds to the east of the line. The cost is said to be 32 billion baht but that it not a detailed costing at this stage. Realistically, this should be funded by the central govt via the MRTA. It should also be a heavy rail line and mostly underground.

I'd suggest that it would be unlikely that this line would be built before 2018/19 even with it being a priority of the BMA but let's wait and see if much progresses in the next 6 months.

Route:

The line basically follows the N-S alignment of Pradit Monutham rd (Chalong Rat Expressway) from Ram Inthra down to Rama 9 then Thonglor (connect with BTS) along Suk soi 38 to Rama 4, along Rama 4 to Ratchapisek rd (connects with MRT) then Ratchadapisek all the way to Rama 9 bridge. It would have 6 interchanges with other lines.

3301.jpg

The list of proposed stations is;

1. Watcharaphon - Pink Line

2. Nuanchan

3. Kaset - nawamin

4. Yothin Phatthana

5. Lad Phrao 87 - Yellow Line

6. Chalongrat

7. Wang Thonglang

8. Nawasri/Ramkhamhaeng 21 - Orange Line (??)

9. Rama 9 Road

10. Thonglor 25

11. Thonglor 10

12. Thonglor - BTS

13. Sukhumvit 38

14. Klong Tan

15. Rama 4 road

16. Ratchada/Rama 4 - MRT

17. Klong Toei

18. Rama 3 road

19. Narathiwat - BRT

20. Sathupradit

21. Rama 9 Bridge

Quote "That is perhaps not surprising given that mass transit planning & implementation in Bangkok is both dysfunctional and poorly managed. The lack of a single co-ordinating body leads to many delays and competing plans"

As Hopewell of HongKong discovered after building miles of pillars..

Everyone should note that the Hopewell pillars along the northern SRT line are gradually being demolished as construction for the SRT Dark Red Line has been underway for the last 2 months;

dsc1441f.jpg

(Pic credit to knrOctober, SSC)

970175_10200724859936658_579321951_n.jpg

(Pic credit to Khun marut, SSC)

1002424_10200724863576749_1497533612_n.j

(Pic credit to Khun marut, SSC)

More pics available at; http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=904602&page=176

Take your pics now before BKKs own Stonehenge disappears in the coming months!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time for an update given the new year.

This will be a busy year for mass transit with 4 or 5 new lines planned to be tendered within the next 15 months. 2-3 new lines should start construction this year along with the 3 currently under construction.

The current BMA Gov election period is leading to the usual hype on transport issues in BKK. The PTs new vehicle rebate program in 2012 cost over 100 billion baht (enough for 2 mass transit lines) and added 1m new cars. Thus, transport & traffic congestion is a greater election issue than it normally is. Current Democrat Gov has promised a new monorail line if he is re-elected but it would be years away if it was ever built. PT candidate is promising toilets at 5k bus stops in Bangkok, flat 20 fares for metro trips (reflecting PT's 2010 election campaign promise) & a few other seemingly unfinancial or unrealistic promises. It is important to remember that all 3 BTS extensions have been wholly funded by the BMA who then contracted the BTSC to run them. This is not the case for the Bearing to Paknam ext as it is outside BMA citylimits - the MRTA contracted this extension.

As usual, this is only a guide and subject to change. Plans will change, dates are never met when it comes to mass transit implementation, politics and dysfunction abounds in this policy area. Feel free to ask any queries which you may have.

Recently opened:

a) SRT Light Red Line from Bang Sue to Taling Chan: 15km, 6 stations (Opened for limited free trial service on 5 Dec 2012 between Taling Chan and Bang Song stations. Will not be completed until new Bang Sue Terminal is built - see (6) )*

b BTS Silom Line - Pho Nimit (S9) opened on 12 Jan

*Note: SRT Light Red is metre gauge, diesel. To be electrified at a later date after opening.

A) Current lines under construction;

1) BTS ext from Wong Wian Yai to Bang Wah 5.3km, 4 stations (S10 opening 15 Feb, S11 & S12 due 12 Aug 2013)

2) MRTA Subway Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon: 1.2km, 1 station (to open 2014)

3) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai: 23km, 16 stations (Opening late 2015)

4) MRTA Blue Line ring ext (subway) and Bang Khae/Phetkasem rd ext (Completion 2017)

a) Bang Sue - Tha Phra, 13.1 km with 7 elevated stations,

b Hua Lamphong - Lak Song, 13.9 km (including 4 underground stations).

5) BTS Bearing to Paknam ext : 12.6km, 7 stations (Work started mid 2012, opens 2016)

6) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE & S SRT intercity trains, Airport Line and SRT Red Lines. (Contract signed 18 Jan 2013, construction starting ASAP, opening 2016?)

B ) Lines tendered but delayed

7) SRT Dark Red Line from Bang Sue to Rangsit: 26km, 8 stations*

*Note: SRT Dark Red Line is metre gauge, electric

C) Lines reportedly to be tendered in 2013;

8) Airport Line extension from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meaung (DMK): 21.8km, 5 stations (tender in next few months)

9) MRTA Pink Line: Khae Rai intersection to Miniburi via Pakred, Chaeng Wattana & Ram Inthra 36km, 26 stations (mono-rail! Expect tender by mid year. Comment: this would be the world's longest operation mono rail line - should be heavy rail).

10) BTS Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext: 11.4km, 11 stations (Some recent progress as budget finalised & depot site selected. Expected to be tendered mid 2013. Original completion date was 2008!).

11) BTS ext from Saphan Mai to Lam Lukka: 14km, 9 stations (now to be tendered with above BTS ext)

12) SRT Light Red line extension: Taling Chan to Salaya, 12km, 5 stations

*Note: SRT Light Red is metre gauge, diesel.

D) Next batch of lines: (2014-2019)

13) MRTA Orange Line: 36km, 29 stations (22 underground, 7 elevated) - . Phase 1 TCC to Bangkapi (tender planned Dec 2013, Construction early 2014 for completion in 2019). Website: http://www.mrta-orangeline.net/

14) MRTA Yellow Line: 30.4km, 21 stations. Phase 1 Latphrao to Hua Mark.

15) Purple Line ext south. Taopoon to WWY then to Ratburna: 26.8 km.

16) SRT Dark Red Line ext from Bang Sue to Hualumphong to Mahachai: 59km

17) SRT Red Line ext from Taling Chan to Thonburi to Makkansan and east adjacent to Airport Line (Still uncertain, line expected to be cancelled as duplicates Cityline. TC to Thonburi will probably be built)

G) Thereafter or under study: (2020 >)

18) Grey Line: 26km. Rama 9 Bridge to Kaset-Nawamin/Ram Inthra. (TBC)

19) Black Line: 9.5km, 9 stations. Sathon to Din Daeng. (TBC)

20) Purple Line north (under feasibility study). 4.5km ext to Sai Noi intersection.

H) Monorail:

1) As part of the election campaign BMA Gov Sukhumbhand has promised a new monorail line from Watcharapol (Ram Inthra) to Rama 4 via Lat Phrao & Din Daeng. Unlikely and years away if it happens at all.

2) Planned monorail for Chula Uni campus has been shelved.

Time for a 6 monthly update - almost to the day! Not much to report aside from more delays.

The Pink Line tender being pushed back from mid 2013 to late 2013.

The BTS Mo Chit ext has yet again been delayed - for the 16th time! - for tender now to early 2014.

The Orange Line is still scheduled to be tendered in late 2013 but recent protests and complaints about some station footprints and associated land acquisition issues may push that into 2014.

NO recent news from the SRT on the ARL ext but the intention for 2013 is still there.

There has been some delay with the SRT Dark Red Line, Bang Sue to Rangsit, while some redesign work is carried out to ensure integration with planned HSR line north of Bang Sue. Demolition of the Hopewell pillars continues.

Interestingly, the BMA recently announced that the MRTA Grey line (planned for 2020>) would be a priority project for them. To be built as a monorail line an EIA will be completed by the end fo 2013 with a tender by early 2014. Somehow, I doubt that the BMA will fund this line and the timeframe given. It is more about politics than good planning.

As usual, this is only a guide and subject to change. Plans will change, dates are never met when it comes to mass transit implementation, politics and dysfunction abounds in this policy area.

Feel free to ask any queries which you may have. Please don't copy the whole summary list in any reply!

Bangkok Metro/Suburban Network - Summary List

A) OPENING SOON

1) BTS Light Green Line (Silom line) from Talat Phlu (S10) to Bang Wah 2.8km, 2 stations ( S11 and S12 to open 5 Dec 2013)

B) LINES/EXTS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2) MRTA Subway Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon: 1.2km, 1 station (to open late 2014)

3) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai: 23km, 16 stations (Opening late 2015)

As of June 2013 civil works construction is at 68.5%. Website: http://www.mrta-purpleline.com

4) MRTA Blue Line ring ext (subway) and Bang Khae/Phetkasem rd ext (Completion late 2016/2017) Website: http://www.mrta-blueline.com/

a) Bang Sue - Tha Phra, 13.1 km, 7 elevated stations,

b Hua Lamphong - Lak Song, 13.9 km , 7 elevated & 4 underground stations.

5) BTS Dark Green line (Suk Line) Bearing to Paknam ext funded by MRTA: 12.6km, 7 stations (Work started mid 2012, opens 2016)

6) SRT Dark Red Line suburban line from Bang Sue to Rangsit: 26km, 8 stations* (Work started March, opens 2016)

*Note: SRT Dark Red Line is metre gauge, electric

7) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE and S SRT intercity trains, Airport Line extension and both SRT Red Lines. (Construction started May, opening 2016?)

C) LINES CURRENTLY UNDER TENDER

Nil

D) LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2013

8) Airport Rail Link (ARL) extension from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meaung (DMK): 21.8km, 5 stations (tender in 2nd half of 2013?)

9) MRTA Pink Line: Khae Rai intersection to Miniburi via Pakred, Chaeng Wattana & Ram Inthra 36km, 26 stations, mono-rail. (Tender now end of 2013. This will be the world's longest operational mono rail line - should be heavy rail).

10) MRTA Orange Line: 36km, 29 stations (22 underground, 7 elevated) - . Phase 1 TCC to Bangkapi (tender Nov/ Dec 2013, Construction mid 2014 - 2019).

E) LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2014

11) BTS Dark Green line Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext funded by MRTA: 11.4km, 11 stations (Original completion date was 2008!).

12) BTS Dark Green line ext from Saphan Mai to Lam Lukka: 14km, 9 stations (now to be tendered with above)

13) SRT Light Red line extension: Taling Chan to Salaya, 12km, 5 stations

*Note: SRT Light Red is metre gauge, diesel.

14) MRTA Yellow Line (Monorail): 30.4km, 21 stations. Phase 1 Latphrao to Hua Mark.

http://www.mrta-yellowline.com/

15) MRTA Grey Monorail Line: 26km, 21 stations. Rama 9 Bridge to Kaset-Nawamin/Ram Inthra. (BMA now stating that they will fund this, do an EIA by end of 2013 and commence building next year)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_Grey_Line

F) NEXT BATCH OF LINES (2015-2019)

14a) MRTA Yellow Line (Monorail): 30.4km, 21 stations. Phase 2 Hua Mark to Samrong.

16) Purple Line ext south. Taopoon to WWY then to Ratburna: 26.8 km.

17) SRT Dark Red Line north ext suburban line from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni: 8.5kms, 4 stations (2015-2017)

18) SRT Light Red Line ext suburban line from Taling Chan to Thonburi to Makkansan and east adjacent to Airport Line (Still uncertain, line expected to be cancelled as duplicates Cityline. TC to Thonburi will probably be built)

18) SRT Dark Red Line south ext from Bang Sue to Hualumphong to Mahachai: 59km

19) BTS Light Green (Silom Line) west: 1 station ext west from National Stadium to link with Dark Red Line

G) THEREAFTER OR UNDER STUDY (2020 >)

20) MRTA Light Blue (previously Black) Line: 9.5km, 9 stations. Monorail. Sathon to Din Daeng. (TBC)

21) MRTA Purple Line north (under feasibility study). 4.5km ext to Sai Noi intersection.

22) BTS Dark Green (Suk Line) line ext from Udom Suk to Central Bang Na & BKK Airport (planned)

H) MONORAIL

24) Brown Monorail Line: 20.5km, 21 stations. Monorail Khae Rai intersection along Ngam Wong Wan, Kaset-Namawin to Beung Kum, Minburi (currently under study by OTP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_Brown_Line

25) As part of the BMA election campaign Gov Sukhumbhand has promised a new monorail line from Watcharapol (Ram Inthra) to Rama 4 via Lat Phrao & Din Daeng. Unlikely and years away if it happens at all.

26) Bang Sue Railyard redevelopment monorail loop

27) Makkasan Railyard redevelopment monorail loop

For those unfamiliar with places names and the coloured lines this unofficial network map done by Khun Codename B on SSC should give a clear idea...

(Note that the SRT Red Line is completed to Bang Son and also the two Stations opened on the BTS Silom Line ext and that a few future lines are not on this map, eg Grey & Light Blue Lines)

bangkokmasstransit.gif

Archived