Problem With Ji-net / Tt&t Combo

sabaijai

For the last week I haven't been able to get a DSL connection using my Ji-Net account. Ji-Net says everything checks out on their end. Error number 651 comes up when I try to connect. I've reinstalled the modem twice, tried turning it on and off, etc, upgraded the driver, and it still doesn't work. TT&T (through whom I contracted the service) says it's not their problem and refuse to send a tech out. Ji-Net has no techs in Chiang Mai so all I get is phone support and they've tried everything they can to help me get it running again, to no avail.

I have an Allied Telesyns AT-AR206 modem. It seems to be working fine, power and DSL lights come on, and the test program on my computer says it's working as well.

Anyone out there had a similar problem? Any suggestions? I've pretty much run out of options at this point. If I can't solve it in another few days I'll just cancel the account and try someone else. I'd love to have True but it's not available in my building here in Chiang Mai.

Maybe your DSL modem's on the blink? Try to borrow a friends & check it out?

A few months ago, my TT&T DSL went off line (along with the phone line) for a couple of days, due to road works, laying a new line somewhere. When it came back, it was only for a day & then went down again - I WRONGLY assumed it was just more roadworks. Eventually phoned to complain & a tech comes out & says it's OK, but it's not. Complain again & then someone finds out that the wire at the exchange has not been connected properly and is loose! Connected propery and it's all systems go & hasn't been a problem for months.

Joking aside, maybe you have a wire loose at the exchange?Just a thought?

I had a similar problem with Hinet. Got the same initial response that you did. Eventually managed to drag 2 TT&T tecnicians out who after 1 hour of checking the system out changed the dial-up number from 0000000 to @999. Had no problem since. They said this? happens to only a few of their users. Give it a try and good luck. :o

Check your VPI and VCI number settings are correct. I just upgraded XP pro to XP 2005 and some how my settings changed themselves, just a thought but if these settings are wrong you will not connect no matter what you do.

VPI 0

VCI 33

they are the settings i have but my modem is different not sure if thats a factor or not.

Thanks for the feedback. Iang wins the prize for best guess. I had tech support on the phone almost every day for two weeks but they couldn't figure out what it was. I kept telling them they needed to get someone out to my place to check it out up close, and finally today a guy came out and found my DSL modem wasn't working (despite it testing OK, all the green lights working etc). The tech brought a replacement modem with him, we swapped and now I'm back in business.

Pretty disappointed that it took them so long to come out. I told them from the start I thought it might be the modem but both Ji-Net and TT&T insisted that if the lights came on it was working ...