Rapper T.I. sent to prison after having probation revoked

News_Editor

Rapper T.I. sent to prison after having probation revoked

2010-10-16 10:29:45 GMT+7 (ICT)

ATLANTA, GEORGIA (BNO NEWS) -- Rapper T.I. was sentenced on Friday to eleven months in prison after a federal judge revoked his probation for gun possession.

The rapper, whose real name is Clifford Harris, told the judge to have mercy on him as he accepted he has a problem with narcotics. He said he had screwed up and begged not to be sent back to prison.

"I want drugs out of my life. If I can get the treatment and counseling I need, I can beat this. I need help. For me, my mother, my kids, I need the court to give me mercy," the rapper said.

The multi-platinum selling singer was arrested last month with his wife for possession of a controlled substance. He was on probation after serving 10 months behind bars on federal weapons charges.

The rapper was allowed to stay out of prison in exchange for 1,000 hours of community service, mostly talking with schoolchildren about the dangers of gangs, drugs and violence. However, while he told kids to follow the law and stay away from drugs, he was acting otherwise.

On Thursday, T.I. talked to a man from Atlanta who was threatening to commit suicide by jumping off a building. He eventually offered him help and made him reconsider.

This action had no effect in the judge's sentence, however. T.I. has two weeks to surrender to authorities to start serving his 11 month sentence.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-16