Mahasarakham

Greenbhoy

Need a bit of a hand here, I am coming to Mahasarakham for a month in May but for the life of me cannot find any details of hotels or renting an apartment for a month in this area. Can anyone point me in the right direction as any help would be extremely appreciated.

There's a great value hotel - 5 star I think clled Taksila - very near all the downtown nightlife :blink:

Behind that. there's the new pattana hotel in the same ground - slightly cheaper - maybe 450 a night but very good.

A cheaper one is behind both of these - 240 baht a night - no air con but tv - go right down to the bottom of the soi going down the side of other two hotels.

There's a great value hotel - 5 star I think clled Taksila - very near all the downtown nightlife :blink:

Behind that. there's the new pattana hotel in the same ground - slightly cheaper - maybe 450 a night but very good.

A cheaper one is behind both of these - 240 baht a night - no air con but tv - go right down to the bottom of the soi going down the side of other two hotels.

If you want an hotel then the 3 or 4 star Taksila is the best at around 1000 a night. It isn't particularly near the present night life, though it is in what used to be the red light area (fang klong). However, there are also a number of apartment complexes that might be cheaper and even better for a one month stay. Much depends on what you are doing in Sarakham and the location. The apartments I know are all near the University (MSU) and on the Kalasin edge of town. I'd say the best bet is Taksila Apartments. These have nothing to do with the hotel mentioned above and are some kilometres away on Highway 213 near Big C. The apartments are in a modern complex with a swimming pool and several eating places, including the (almost) Western-style Living Room. Although out of town, this isn't far from some of the student bars/restaurants in the Kamrieng area, as well as those in the Big C Plaza. Somebody told me the price is 300 or 400 baht a night (probably less for a monthly rental). A second possibility is on the new Maharsarakham University Road (forgotten the name of the apartments I'm afraid). This road is a left turn another kilometre or two out of town on the 213 (not the turning by the river but the next one). The apartments are on the right of the MSU Road about 500 yards from the 213 turning with the large University sign. They also have a swimming pool. These aren't quite as handy for restaurants but there are some further long the road towards the university as well as a few bars. There are several apartment blocks in the city centre but the ones I have seen aren't as nice as these two.

Edited by citizen33

If you want an hotel then the 3 or 4 star Taksila is the best at around 1000 a night. It isn't particularly near the present night life, though it is in what used to be the red light area (fang klong). However, there are also a number of apartment complexes that might be cheaper and even better for a one month stay. Much depends on what you are doing in Sarakham and the location. The apartments I know are all near the University (MSU) and on the Kalasin edge of town. I'd say the best bet is Taksila Apartments. These have nothing to do with the hotel mentioned above and are some kilometres away on Highway 213 near Big C. The apartments are in a modern complex with a swimming pool and several eating places, including the (almost) Western-style Living Room. Although out of town, this isn't far from some of the student bars/restaurants in the Kamrieng area, as well as those in the Big C Plaza. Somebody told me the price is 300 or 400 baht a night (probably less for a monthly rental). A second possibility is on the new Maharsarakham University Road (forgotten the name of the apartments I'm afraid). This road is a left turn another kilometre or two out of town on the 213 (not the turning by the river but the next one). The apartments are on the right of the MSU Road about 500 yards from the 213 turning with the large University sign. They also have a swimming pool. These aren't quite as handy for restaurants but there are some further long the road towards the university as well as a few bars. There are several apartment blocks in the city centre but the ones I have seen aren't as nice as these two.

I coming to Mahasarakham as when I was travelling around Thailand I never got a chance to check out the North but wanted to see what it is like for myself, as the holiday spots around Thailand such as Phucket, Pattaya and Koh Samui were just not my cup of Tea (no offence to anyone if they are your's) and I wanted to go to a more indigenous spots were I can take in the culture and the people and sort of blend in, which might be quite difficult as I am a half Irish, half Chinese skinhead but one does try. Thanks for your quick reply's as even after an intensive search on Google the only responses that I was receiving was Taksila hotel but this Intel is invaluable. Thanks

If it is just a holiday, I guess the places I have mentioned are still possible, but there is a bit of a transport problem to get into town. In the day it will be easy to get a songthaw (pickup truck bus) but at night there isn't much at all. Apart from the hotels mentioned already you might want to bear in mind a couple of others. There is the Vasu further along the canal past the hospital, and near Sarakham's main disco and a few bars. Then there is Suan Warun (the student training hotel) at the Rajaphat University. This is near the downtown campuses of both the Rajaphat and MSU with a lot of bars and restaurants very close. However, there were bad reports on this forum recently about the current state of this hotel. Both these are fairly inexpensive. There are other smaller hotels dotted around - do a search of this forum.

Sakura Guesthouse (actually an apartment building of condos) is 3,500b per month I think. For a 28sqm room with aircon, cable, hotwater etc. New condos, only built a few years ago. Lovely lady runs it. It about 2 km down the canal in the opposite direction to Taksila. There's a strip of uni bars along the canal. Bar 33 is a very famous one around town. And is on the corner of Soi 33. Which is the soi you go down to get there. At the end of the soi, look left and you'll see Sakura.

If you want their phone number and a google image of where it is pm me.

Edited by thomo

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hotels to try:

Takasila Hotel - Fancy hotel, about 1000+ per night, close to Shopping Mall

**** - Hotel behind Takasila, very nice hotel, about 600 per night, Close to shopping mall

Vasu Hotel - Basic hotel, 550 per night, right next to main night club

Perfect Condo - Nice hotel, 450 per night, walking distance to some shops, but maybe 2+km from the main shopping mall (Has rooms available, 3 month minimum, 5000 per month) 04 372 5347

Dee Living - Nice hotel, 400 per night, right next to one of the most popular bars, but maybe 3km from the main shopping mall (Has rooms available (But usually all full), 3 month minimum, 3500 per month) 0803221498

Dernsawat Apartments - Basic hotel, 400 or 450 per night, walking distance to some shops, but maybe 2+km from main shopping mall (has rooms available, 4000 per month incld power/water)

Takasila Nakon - Basic hotel, 450 per night, part of a student accommodation complex, next to old MSU campus, has food / market on site but is quite far from shopping mall etc, Song Taews run past it though. (Has rooms available, 3000 per month I think, not 100% sure though).

All of those, except Takasila Nakon, are on Lim Klong Som Ta Win Road, which is one of the main streets for bars on the Serm Thai / Old Campus side of town. As to whether they actually have apartments available for rent, I'm not sure. As they are often filled up during the university semester, but you might get lucky with them. Likewise, you'd definitely want to book ahead of time if you can, as although they are usually available, if one of the universities has a special event on (e.g. Graduations are coming up in Dec for MSU, not sure if the Rajapat does theirs in Dec aswell or maybe in Jan?), then the parents of the students will book out almost every hotel in the city. I goto Sarakham almost every weekend, and I've had a few weekends where I forgot to book, and then found that pretty much every hotel in the city was fully booked already.

Also, there aren't many taxis / tuktuks in Sarakham, they pretty much only hang out around the bus station/shopping mall, so unless you enjoy walking, you'll need to get their number or buy a motorcycle. There are Songtaews which run down the main roads, although they stop around 7pm I think, maybe 8pm I'm not really sure, but they don't run down the roads which most of the hotels I've mentioned are on. Although from perfect condo, it's only around a 5 minute walk to where you can catch a songtaew (and they run reasonably frequently, every 10mins or so), from Dernsawat it's around 10minute walk to catch a songtaew, and from Dee Living it'd be around a 10-15 minute walk to where you can catch a songtaew.

Either way, give me a yell when you're coming to Sarakham, and I might be able to help you out.

Edited by SlyAnimal

Hotels to try:

**** - Hotel behind Takasila, very nice hotel, about 600 per night, Close to shopping mall

The New Pattana Hotel is the one behind Takasila and on the same site is the cheaper Pattana Hotel, making three in all.

MSU's training hotel on the 213 has been almost finished for ages and will be another option, but don't know when that will open.

Incidentally Takasila Apartments are near Big C - so not so far to go shopping, but it would be hard to get to the city centre at night without own transport.

Edited by citizen33

• 1 year later...

UPDATES:

Mahasarakham now has a full-service, 24-hour standard taxi service, with meter. Tuk-tuks and motorcycle service run 24 hours a day now. Points further north and south of Mahasarakham can now be accessed by provincial buses which arrive and depart at all hours of the night. Mahasarakham is growing up.

The MSU's training hotel will NOT open. It has been converted to offices and classrooms.

About 100m north of the MSU "training hotel" (and 1/2 km south of Big C), on highway 213 is a nice, new "Your Place" hotel with rates at about 600B/nightl Spacious and comfortable rooms. Incidentally, that hotel is full each weekend, and has a high occupancy rate the rest of the week.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

Cheers for the update would be interested to know what the present nightlife consists of in town both farang and Thai as i have not been in town for 4 years and will be visiting very shortly for a few nights.

Any tips would be appreciated on the bars restaurants and things to do in the city by day?

Also the hotel situation has it changed much ,what would be the best area to stay nowadays.

You'll be amazed at the change in 4 years. There's been a non-stop building boom of businesses, shopping malls, and dormitories since you left. The university has grown from about 35,000 to 50,000 students. It won fourth place as a "Green University" in Thailand--extensive park-like developments all over campus. Rahjhabat College has now become Rahjabat University and has, likewise, been on a non-stop building boom. Last year, the student population of Mahasarakham eclipsed that of Khon Kaen.

The area to stay in depends on what you like doing.

• For bars and nightlife: West end of downtown along the canal, and Thakhonyang (out by the Kamriang MSU campus).
  • For daytime recreation: The area now sports four nice swimming pools open to the public (stay near MSU or Rajhabat), and tennis courts.

Ten years ago, I could count the bars/pubs on two fingers. Now, I've lost count--probably a hundred or more? Lots of all-night eateries as well--especially in Thakhonyang/Kamriang areas near the Uni. (Uni. students never stop eating). The number of 7-11's have doubled or tripled (now THERE'S real nightlife for ya! Nothing like munching on a 7-11 sala bow at 3 a.m. on the bench in front when you get tired of the all-night bar...)

Nothing that's specifically "farang" except for the very nice restaurant "The Living Room" about 3 km north of downtown on highway 213. They have a great menu, western decor, and show western movies (without sound) on the big monitor. Good selection of wines, as well as a mix of Japanese, American, Thai, and Italian cuisines. They do a fine job on all four styles.

Oh I nearly forgot, the new shopping mall which opened in December ("Sermthai Complex") boasts a lot of western and Japanese-style restaurants/fast-food places, but a place that closes at 10pm could hardly be considered "night life."

Hotel situation: Takasila has expanded to four hotels, all in the same area, and a wide range of rates/quality. The new "Your Place" is mid-way between downtown and Thakhonyang on hiway 213. That's about it, as far as the hotel changes.

Welcome soon to "The Heart of the Northeast."

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

There are several good aparment hotels just across big-c, 2000-3500 bath per month.

For 3500 you get a good clean rather big room with balkony, hot water, fridge, tv, air-con, fan, wifi etc. etc. and a nice little pudel dog visting you every now and then. Washing/water machines just outside at entrance.

About time some brave soul opened up a Farang restaurant/bar here. I would certainly make the 50 odd km drive on a regular basis and give them my support. A fair few farang around Borabue area would too I am sure.

Yes, all you farangs out there--support them. Keep it open!

The LIving Room Restaurant owner also owns the successful Londoner Pub at 33 Sukhumvit in Bangkok (basement of the True Visions Tower #2). Support it as well--wonderful British brews and a fish & chips to die for.

About time some brave soul opened up a Farang restaurant/bar here. I would certainly make the 50 odd km drive on a regular basis and give them my support. A fair few farang around Borabue area would too I am sure.

Yes, all you farangs out there--support them. Keep it open!

The LIving Room Restaurant owner also owns the successful Londoner Pub at 33 Sukhumvit in Bangkok (basement of the True Visions Tower #2). Support it as well--wonderful British brews and a fish & chips to die for.

Hi, my name is Frank. I'm a new member on this forum from Norway. And I've been reading this thread with some intrest. Because it seems to me that you live in Maha Sarakham. So do I part time. I've been renting a house there for more than 6 years now. It's not too many "farlang" living there.

And you say that there are 4 swimmingpools in Maha Sarakham. I know only about 3. Including the olympic size swimmingpool at the old university. But if you think about the cristian private school then you have 4? Is there a new one?

Some Mahasarakham swimming pools.

New one at MSU Kamrieng Campus (near TMB Bank Plaza).

Two adjacent pools at Rajaphat University near main entrance from Khon Kaen road.

Sports College on KK road - two pools but semi derelict last time I checked.

Taksilla Apartments (near Living Room restaurant) - smallish pool that admits outsiders for a modest fee.

Apartment block on new MS university road at Kamrieng (about 300m from junction with Kalasin road). This has a small deep pool plus a large children's pool with features like a slide and bridge.

I think I heard there is also one in a school.

I'm in the UK at present but spend some time in area each year.

I don't know so much about what there are of swimmingpools at the new university, but there are so far as I know 2 public ones and one at the private school in Maha Sarakham.

One of them is the one you told about at the apartment block and the other one is near the private school. It's the road to the right of the schooll. And when you have passed the school the road turns right and after about 100 meters it turns left. The swimmingpool is between some villas there.

The first time I've heard of Living Room restaurant was today. Where is it? And have Takasila Hotel a swimmingpool now?

There is also a very nice swimmingpool area outside Maha Sarakham. 20 km. from Maha Sarakham on the highway towards Roi Et. 50 Baht entrence fee.

I'm going to Thailand on the 27th of Marsch and I would like to check out Living Room restaurant. It looks nice on the pictures.

Edited by Norlund

No, the Takasila Hotel does not have a swimming pool. The Takasila Hotel and Takasila Apartments (or condos/dormitories) are two different animals. The above-referenced apartments are about 3-4 km north of town on highway 213 on the right as you are going out of town, almost across from the (unopened) MSU Hotel and nearby new PTT station/Amazon/Chester'sGrill. It's south of Big C about 1.0-1.5 km. The Living Room Restaurant is in the same complex as the Takasila Apartments/Condos/Dormitories.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-living-room-Mahasarakham/107270899339542

...It's not too many "farlang" living there.

In 2004, there were 1,200+ foreigners living in Mahasarakham Province (source: the newspaper which cannot be named on Thai Visa).

It has only gone up from there. The MSU campus has at least 50+ foreigners teaching and hundreds of international students. You gotta get out more! smile.png

In 2004, there were 1,200+ foreigners living in Mahasarakham Province (source: the newspaper which cannot be named on Thai Visa).

It has only gone up from there. The MSU campus has at least 50+ foreigners teaching and hundreds of international students. You gotta get out more! smile.png

It's impossible for me to go out more. The week has only 7 days. crazy.gif But thanks for the information.

It's impossible for me to go out more. The week has only 7 days. crazy.gif But thanks for the information.

When you find that 8th or 9th day, please inform me here.

• Like 1