Hedges - What Plants Are Available And Recommended?

cochran

I am looking to find out what types of plants are available in the Pattaya area that would be suitable for use in a hedge along a property border. Would like to find something that will top out over 6' / 2m high, responds well to pruning, and does not require massive babysitting. Evergreen much preferred. Can anyone contribute some advice? Also, where can you go to see plants of this type?

Thank you in advance,

Cochran

Have planted a hedge plant named I think "Dok Keem" Dark green leaves and bright red flowers.

First ones planted some 12 years ago and I keep them at about 2 meters high and about 80 cms thick. That actual hedge is 25 meters long They get a good cut once a year, sides and top and the odd trim every so often. Now have the hedge running along 2 sides of the property. Totally suitable.

Very hardy, and if trimmed often will flower more through the year. Original plants about 30cms, high and for the first couple of years would give them some 15-15-15 and water every 4 months.Plant the young plants about 20cms apart.

Last thought.................buy a decent hedge cutter or shears. See you can now get electric or motor driven hedge cutters in Home Pro. Ideal if you intend to have plenty of hedging

BAYBOY.

Dok Kem, it is a common plant and comes in a small size too. it is called Ixora and comes in pink, red, orange and white while the dwarf version comes in pink, yellow and red.

the tall version has large leaves and the short one very small leaves

tall:

Maui_Ixora_op_640x480.jpg

(note that this is from the US, the plants get much taller than this in Thailand)

ixora2.JPG

dwarf:

Ixora_Dwf_Red.JPG

SBK.... thanks for that info.

My hedge is the dwarf type even though it is 2 meters high.

The dwarf flower is ( naturally) small, and the large variety flower is used in the bouquet given to the teachers on "Wai Cru" day in June.

Cheers

BAYBOY

• 8 years later...

Hey Cochran, 

I can't specifically help you to find hedges in Thailand but you can take idea by visiting Instant Hedge as they are providing huge varieties of hedges eg

you can take an idea or can also order from their if they are shipping to your origin. As I have availed there services from which i am satisfied.