Flood Critical In Nakhon Ratchasima And Other Thai Provinces

webfact

Flood critical in Nakhon Ratchasima and other provinces

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- The northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima declared today that 14 of its 20 districts affected by floods are disaster zones.

Nakhon Ratchasima governor Rapee Pongbuppakit convened an urgent meeting to respond the flood problem.

Rescue workers rowed flat-bottomed boats with difficulty to evacuate local residents trapped in their homes in Nongsarai community of Pak Chong district since Saturday.

Flooding in Pak Chong district is still critical as floodwater levels have continued to increase and numbers of families remain stranded as multiple roads are heavily flooded, particularly the roadway outside Nava Nakorn Industrial Estate under 1.5 metres of floodwater. The authorities said that workers cannot leave their factories.

A one kilometre portion of railway track has been under water in Pak Chong district halting railway service temporarily, leaving a number of passengers stranded. Meanwhile, reservoirs in the provinces are filled close to critical levels.

Forest run-off from the Phanom Dongrak mountain range flooded homes along the Thai-Cambodian border in Phusing district in the northeastern province of Si Sa Ket, along with 52,000 acres of farmland.

In Kantharalak district, volunteers erected make-shift tents for flood victims after their homes were flooded. Drinking water has been distributed to the displaced victims.

Border trade in Sa Kaeo has been paralysed due to flooding in Thailand’s Arunyaprathet and Cambodia’s Poipet.

Thai trucks carrying goods have been halted at border because warehouses in Cambodia are flooded, leaving no place to store transit cargoes.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva warned local residents to beware of flash flood and ordered civil servants to assist local residents in Nakhon Ratchasima, the province hardest hit by floods.

Ministry of Public Health mobile medical units are treating flood victims and distributing basic medicines, while hospitals in flood-stricken areas must be prepared for emergencies around the clock. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-18

A lot of roads are washed out here in Korat. I saw many homeowners off Mittraphap Road flooded out and having to evacuate their homes. Many roads and highways are flooded, check with the roads department before heading out.The army is helping out with sandbags. It is unfortunate that the infrastructure cannot handle the heavy rain run off. Hopefully some money will be spent where it is needed.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Nakhon Ratchasima still faces severe flooding; Maharaj Hospital evacuates patients

BANGKOK, Oct 18 -- The northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima continues severely flood-impacted as the Lamtakong River flowing through the province has overflowed its banks and inundated areas along the river with some areas having water over 80cm deep.

The waters of the Lamtakong River flooded Maharaj Hospital to a depth of 60cm to the emergency room. The doctors, nurses and other medical staff urgently moved equipment and evacuated patients to upper floors.

The water level was increasing continuously with no sign of receding. Many patient families, physicians and nurses were stranded at the hostital.

Coordinating with Second Army Area Headquarters, the provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office and other agencies, the hospital is evacuating those who are stranded.

Kabinburi district of Prachinburi is also experiencing flooding, while the Ayutthaya Elephant Palace camp in that province has evacuated more than 100 elephants to higher ground after the waters of the Lop Buri river behind the camp overflowed.

National police chief Pol Gen Wichean Potephosree has ordered provincial police chiefs of flood-affected provinces to coordinate with the Interior Ministry's Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, Interior Ministry to help the flood victims.

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha also ordered agencies under Royal Thai Army to help flood victims.

The Meteorological Department has warned of heavy rain and flash flood. In its latest advisory announcement, the department said torrential rain is likely over much of upper Thailand. Residents along hill slopes near waterways and in the lowlands of the lower Northeast, the Central and the East are warned of severe weather and possible flash floods.

Strong wind and waves remain in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand, the weather service said, advising all ships to proceed with caution during this period. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-18

4 missing, feared drowned in Nakhon Ratchasima floods

The Nakhon Ratchasima provincial administration reported Monday that four people have been unaccounted for since the province has been hit by severe floods since last week.

The four were swept by flood waters and were feared drowned.

One went missing in Sung None district, another in Pak Chong district and the two others in Dan Khun Thod district.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-18

I was up in that area last Saturday. It rained hard and steady for many hours. We made it back to Bangkok without any trouble, but there sure was a lot of water everywhere.

My thoughts are with the people in the affected areas. As someone once said, "Fire and water make good servants but poor masters."

Last Saturday night my girlfriend and I took the night train from Nong Khai back to Bangkok. Sometime before 3am, the train stopped somewhere a little south of Korat in nowhere land. Around 9:30am, some bright spark decided it might be a good idea to back the train up to Korat and let everyone get off.

At Korat they had buses waiting. The plan was to bus everyone to somewhere the other side of the flooding and put them back on a train. I said f that and told my gf to see if see could arrange for a car. She did and we left Korat and drove back to Bangkok. Had the water been a few inches deeper in spots it would not have been passable, and even then it was a close call. Any more rain, and I can see big(ger) problems in that area, and the flooding was extensive.

We made it to our condo around 12:30pm, probably before the buses even reached the next train :D

All things being considered, I think we were lucky.

Sunday night coming back to BKK, parts of Highway 2 in Korat closed, need one hour to get out there.

This time about 6 points on the road floodet in and behind Korat.

One Point Highwatertourists block one row of the road, unbelieveable...

Main bus station in completely under water.....Probably better off getting off at the Mall....

St.Mary's hospital car park is 2 metres deep now and alot of wrecked cars around...

It is really bad in the affected areas and looks like they are struggling to sort all the people out..

Some photos of the flash flooding at Khao Yai, right next to Pak Chong. Apparently Khao Yai's been closed to tourists.

http://www.thairath.co.th/gallery/view/pol/2615

Seem to be quite a lot of places affected.

The Thai press is reporting that the Pasak river, which passes through Loie, Petchabun, Lopburi, Saburi and Auyuthaya before reaching the Jao Phraya river, is at its highest level in 30 years. People with homes on the river bank at Saburi and Lopburi had their homes flooded.

In Aranyaprathet, Sa Kaew, the water level's reported as being at its highest level for more than 10 years.

Some photos of the flash flooding at Khao Yai, right next to Pak Chong. Apparently Khao Yai's been closed to tourists.

http://www.thairath....y/view/pol/2615

Seem to be quite a lot of places affected.

The Thai press is reporting that the Pasak river, which passes through Loie, Petchabun, Lopburi, Saburi and Auyuthaya before reaching the Jao Phraya river, is at its highest level in 30 years. People with homes on the river bank at Saburi and Lopburi had their homes flooded.

In Aranyliv aprathet, Sa Kaew, the water level's reported as being at its highest level for more than 10 years.

I live in Korat and if you are old enough to remember the song "Who'll stop the rain" Then you know what we are going thru.

I live in korat last night i take my friend to go bus station, i did not know there was so much water, when we came close to the station i did see some houses where it was only possible to see the roof of the house, all trafic to the bus station are stop. the busstation have more than 70 cm of water. most cars and motor bike i did see was dead, i was driving a offroader so i did not have so many problem.

I wish all the best to all the poor people, with houses on low ground, because there home is gone, i hope the goverment will do something to help them.

My house is on high ground + 4 steps up to my home. tonight there is soppose to be comming alot more water, right now it is stilling raining alot neer sima thani hotel at mittaparp rd

A lot of roads are washed out here in Korat. I saw many homeowners off Mittraphap Road flooded out and having to evacuate their homes. Many roads and highways are flooded, check with the roads department before heading out.The army is helping out with sandbags. It is unfortunate that the infrastructure cannot handle the heavy rain run off. Hopefully some money will be spent where it is needed.

When it rains hard enough the best infrastructure means nothing. Mothe nature just smiles at mans feeble attempts keeping her at bay

When it rains hard enough the best infrastructure means nothing. Mothe nature just smiles at mans feeble attempts keeping her at bay

Yes and it always amazes me why we we call them "her".?

I was up in that area last Saturday. It rained hard and steady for many hours. We made it back to Bangkok without any trouble, but there sure was a lot of water everywhere.

My thoughts are with the people in the affected areas. As someone once said, "Fire and water make good servants but poor masters."

Does anybody know if you need a boat to reach Phusing Immigration? (Sisaket) :jap:

Main bus station in completely under water.....Probably better off getting off at the Mall....

St.Mary's hospital car park is 2 metres deep now and alot of wrecked cars around...

It is really bad in the affected areas and looks like they are struggling to sort all the people out..

Anyone know if Chok Chai is flooded as well??

I live in korat last night i take my friend to go bus station, i did not know there was so much water, when we came close to the station i did see some houses where it was only possible to see the roof of the house, all trafic to the bus station are stop. the busstation have more than 70 cm of water. most cars and motor bike i did see was dead, i was driving a offroader so i did not have so many problem.

I wish all the best to all the poor people, with houses on low ground, because there home is gone, i hope the goverment will do something to help them.

My house is on high ground + 4 steps up to my home. tonight there is soppose to be comming alot more water, right now it is stilling raining alot neer sima thani hotel at mittaparp rd

Does anyone know if there are floods between Chok Chai and Khonburee??

My girlfriend lives between chok chai and konburi and they had to evacuate because "much water coming now" ( her words)

She said that they were told that some dam could break and the area could be flood,

She went to a nearby village that is more up and stayed there from 8 pm until 11 pm.

She just called me to tell me that Police from Chok chai said that there is no immidiate danger now and they can go back.

Yes and it always amazes me why we we call them "her".?

Arrai na???? Mai Kau Tchai.....:jap:

Sunday night coming back to BKK, parts of Highway 2 in Korat closed, need one hour to get out there.

Bigger letters doesn't really make your post to a better one.....................guess you were one of them blocking one lane, right? :jap:

Super typhoon lashes Philippines, kills at least 3

post-128-039169800 1287424927_thumb.jpg

A tree branch lies in the middle of the highway at the onslaught

of typhoon Megi (local name "Juan") Monday Oct.18, 2010 at

Cauayan, Isabela province in northeastern Philippines. The

strongest cyclone in years to buffet the Philippines knocked out

communications and power as residents took shelter Monday.

(AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

BULLIT MARQUEZ,Associated Press Writer

CAUAYAN, Philippines (AP) — The strongest cyclone in years to crash into the Philippines killed at least three people Monday, leaving a wasteland of fallen trees and power poles and sending thousands scampering to safety in near-zero visibility. A retired general said bracing for the onslaught was like preparing for war.

Super Typhoon Megi, blowing across the northern Philippines, was forecast next to head toward China and Vietnam, where recent floods unrelated the storm have caused 30 deaths.

On Monday, strong currents on Vietnam's flooded main highway swept away a bus and 20 of its passengers, including a boy pulled from his mother's grasp. In China, authorities evacuated 140,000 people from a coastal province ahead of the typhoon.

Megi packed sustained winds of 140 miles (225 kilometers) per hour and gusts of 162 mph (260 kph) as it made landfall midday Monday at Palanan Bay in Isabela province, felling trees and utility poles and cutting off power, phone and Internet services. Its ferocious wind slightly weakened while crossing the mountains of the Philippines' main northern island of Luzon.

With more than 4,150 Filipinos riding out the typhoon in sturdy school buildings, town halls, churches and relatives' homes, roads in and out of coastal Isabela province, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) northeast of Manila, were deserted and blocked by collapsed trees, power lines and debris.

One man who had just rescued his water buffalo slipped and fell into a river and drowned in Cagayan province, near Isabela. A woman was pinned to death when a tamarind tree crushed her house and injured her child in Kalinga province, and a security guard died after being struck by a pine tree in nearby Baguio city, officials said.

At least six were injured in the region by falling trees, collapsed roof and shattered glass, officials said.

As it crashed ashore, the typhoon whipped up huge waves. There was near-zero visibility and radio reports said the wind was so powerful that people could not take more than a step at a time. Ships and fishing vessels were told to stay in ports, and several domestic and international flights were canceled.

The entire Isabela province lost power along with 16 of Cagayan's 28 towns as the typhoon blew by. Cagayan Governor Alvaro Antonio said the wind was fierce but blew high from the ground, sparing many ricefields ready for harvesting.

Although initial casualties were low compared to past storm disasters, retired army Maj. Gen. Benito Ramos, who heads the country's disaster-preparedness agency, expressed sadness over the deaths. Bracing for the typhoon, he said, was like "preparing for war."

"This was tougher because in war, I could take a nap," Ramos told The Associated Press.

Thousands of military reserve officers and volunteers were on standby, along with helicopters, including six Chinooks that were committed by U.S. troops holding war exercises with Filipino soldiers near Manila, Ramos said.

In July, an angry President Benigno Aquino III fired the head of the weather bureau for failing to predict that a typhoon would hit Manila. That storm killed more than 100 people in Manila and outlying provinces.

This time, urgent preparations included evacuations and the positioning of emergency relief and food supplies days before the typhoon hit. The capital was expected to avoid any direct hit, though schools were closed.

Megi was the most powerful typhoon to hit the Philippines in four years, government forecasters say. A 2006 howler with 155-mph (250-kph) winds set off mudslides that buried entire villages, killing about 1,000 people.

In Vietnam, officials say up to 31.5 inches (800 millimeters) of rain have pounded areas in just a few days, forcing 126,000 people to flee their homes. Earlier flooding this month left more than 80 people dead or missing.

Megi could add to the misery.

"People are exhausted," Vietnamese disaster official Nguyen Ngoc Giai said by telephone from Quang Binh province. "Many people have not even returned to their flooded homes from previous flooding, while many others who returned home several days ago were forced to be evacuated again."

China's National Meteorological Center said Megi was expected to enter the South China Sea on Tuesday, threatening southeastern coastal provinces. The center issued its second-highest alert for potential "wild winds and huge waves," warning vessels to take shelter and urging authorities to brace for emergencies.

Nearly 140,000 people fled homes in the southern island province of Hainan, where heavy rains left thousands homeless over the weekend, the official Xinhua News Agency reported Monday.

Thailand also reported flooding that killed at least four people, submerged thousands of homes and vehicles and halted train service. It also prompted the evacuation of nearly 100 elephants from a popular tourist attraction north of the capital.

___

Associated Press writers Jim Gomez, Teresa Cerojano and Hrvoje Hranjski in Manila; Margie Mason and Tran Van Minh in Hanoi, Vietnam; and Chi-Chi Zhang in Beijing contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg

-- (c) Associated Press 2010-10-19

Chok chai is full of water dont go there, you might not get there or you might not get back or you might be stock in the middle without being able to go anywhere

I am visiting Korat and have just finished installing a tank and a pressure pump, and we have no water pressure to fill the tank. And tonight is the first night without rain...ironic.

But I do feel forthose who have lost so much in these floods.

People be with God through this correction.

Now the Thai engineers must study this tragedy and understand how to reconstruct to avoid anything like this again. Fifty or one hundred fifty years into the future. The technology and ability is available now.

Put all our petty grievances aside , once and for all.

In His name, not ours.

Farang / USA / Isan

Edited by nithisa78

Bigger letters doesn't really make your post to a better one.....................guess you were one of them blocking one lane, right? :jap:

Thanks for your comment, my english is not well and "spamposter" like u, can eat my shorts:D

People be with God through this correction.

Now the Thai engineers must study this tragedy and understand how to reconstruct to avoid anything like this again. Fifty or one hundred fifty years into the future. The technology and ability is available now.

Put all our petty grievances aside , once and for all.

In His name, not ours.

Farang / USA / Isan

There's 7 or 8 people "with god" now. Why did "he" let this happen?