Elephant Horror Sister's Anguish

george

Elephant horror sister's anguish

THE sister of a trainee nurse gored to death by an elephant in Thailand has spoken of the family's struggle to come to terms with the tragedy.

Andrea Taylor died after the bull elephant went berserk and charged into visitors at an animal park near the popular tourist resort of Pattaya.

The 20-year-old from Billinge, near Wigan, was gored in her stomach by the animal's tusks and died later in hospital. The elephant is still being used for performances for tourists.

Her sister Helen, now 27, a business coach, and their father Geoff 52, were also seriously injured during the tragic incident. The family had gone to the Nong Nooch Village elephant park as part of a holiday to celebrate Geoff's retirement as a glass worker.

Angry

Three years later, they are still pursuing a compensation claim against the park. A criminal case against the elephant's handler is also being investigated.

In the interview in Closer magazine Helen said: "That day changed our lives. Our family trip to Thailand should have been a perfect holiday. I could never have imagined that it would go so wrong.

"I don't want the elephant to be put down, but I'm angry that it is still made to perform. There's a danger that it might attack somebody else.

"I still have days when I find it hard to cope with losing Andrea. But good things have also happened."

Helen is hoping to start a family with boyfriend Andy Costigan, a 31-year-old sales rep.

She added: "Andrea was so lively and it didn't make sense that she was gone, but eventually I realised I had to get on with my life. It's what she would have wanted."

--Manchester Online

God, I remeber that story, hadn't their mum just died as well or something like that, it was supposed to be a new start family holiday, so tragic B) I really can't beleive that the Elephant is still used for shows though, what a danger to other tourists! I hope they get some compensation, not necessarily financial, but some kind of apology & better safety guildlines at the zoo. :o:D

I took my wife's family on an "elephant safari" from the Pattaya Elephant Village the other week. It was a wonderful experience and I did think of recommending it.

They have an arena for shows but weren't pushing them - I wonder if it's the same place? I must admit that safety did seem a bit suspect.