Israeli PM Netanyahu says Hamas acquired anti-aircraft missiles

News_Editor

Israeli PM Netanyahu says Hamas acquired anti-aircraft missiles

2010-10-19 07:16:42 GMT+7 (ICT)

JERUSALEM, ISRAEL (BNO NEWS) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday said that Hamas, the Palestinian Islamist organization, has acquired anti-aircraft missiles which compromise the Israeli security, the Haaretz newspaper reported.

Israeli aircraft have long dominated the skies above the Gaza Strip by striking suspected Hamas military installations and assassinating dozens of wanted militants. The acquisition of anti-aircraft missiles could threaten the air force's ability to defend and attack the Islamic militant group.

Netanyahu said that the new weaponry was presumably smuggled in to the Gaza strip through tunnels connected to Egypt. The Israeli PM announced the latest Hamas purchase to his Likud party.

Last year, Israel engaged in a fierce three-week offensive in Gaza that began with airstrikes that killed hundreds of Hamas fighters. Despite Israeli efforts to stop arms smuggling, Hamas managed to restock his arsenal including with longer-range missiles that can strike the heart of Israel.

The new weaponry of Hamas will not only affect the security of civilian and city centers but air traffic at the international airport as well.

"Israel's security needs are real, the solutions have to be real, not on paper. We need to find long-term solutions that give Israel security," Netanyahu said.

However, the Prime Minister did not offer any evidence of his claims and in response Hamas accused Netanyahu of spreading the information in order to justify future attacks in Gaza.

Hamas has denied indicating whether Hamas has anti-aircraft weapons. On the other hand, Israel announced on October 13 that the Israeli Air Force is building the third antimissile battery to strengthen the country's defense.

On Sunday, an Israeli airstrike killed two Gaza militants who Israel says were preparing to fire rockets over the Gaza border. The Israeli military said more than 165 rockets and mortar shells have been fired at Israel from Gaza so far this year, a significant drop this year.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-19

Maybe Israel's PM is saying something not true. It is possible. But to add a little perspective, I read recently that America sold 900 smart missles to Saudi Arabia for some hundred million dollars thereabout, but _gave_ Israel 10,000 smarter rockets, paid for by all American taxpayers. And in this kerfuffle about extending the moratorium, Netanyahu is squeezing more weapons and other concessions from America. Can anyone deny the Israeli tail wags the American dog?

Iran is supplying insurgents all over the Mideast with weapons and funds and going full steam ahead to develop a nuke.

The U.S. is quite happy to help out a democratic country in the area that shares Western culture and values and has an excellent army. ;)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Iran is supplying insurgents all over the Mideast with weapons and funds and going full steam ahead to develop a nuke.

The U.S. is quite happy to help out a democratic country in the area that shares Western culture and values and has an excellent army. ;)

100 Gurkhas want to help Hamas to fight the illegal occupier. GOOD NIGHT Israel.

"Western culture and values" what is that? Are you some religious hard core crusader?

I agree Iran should be eliminated... B)

The world is full of idiots.

For sure...that's the problem with Iran!

no, not really.

If you love Iran so much, why don't you go live there? Any country that allows stoning of women due to adultery does not deserve respect. Hopefully, you can understand that. But unfortunately, I think no... :(

yawn.

Did i say i support stoning?

Do you know anything about Iran, i mean more than the few stereotypes you got from an American movie?

Why not fill us in on where you got so much expertise about Iran?

I would be particularly interested in an answer.

yawn.

Did i say i support stoning?

Do you know anything about Iran, i mean more than the few stereotypes you got from an American movie?

Why not fill us in on where you got so much expertise about Iran?

I would be particularly interested in an answer.

You won't get an answer...he likes to complain but that's about it. I'm sure he gets his stereotypes from the same source...his countries movies...

"Western culture and values" what is that? Are you some religious hard core crusader?

I come from a Western culture and have Western values but do not recognize those values in Israel.

The Israeli's undoubtedly have an excellent army, one of the strongest in the world, and it is for the most part thanks to the money from American taxpayers the US government sends to them as weapons and training. America is Israel's most important ally. Israel is America's most dangerous ally.

Pity that the US isn't quite as happy to help out a democratic country in this area like Burma, which also has an excellent army .

Israel won a number of wars against an overwhelming enemy with no American help. It wasn't until the Soviet Union started arming and training the Arabs on a grand scale that the US started helping Israel.

By the way, Burma is not a democracy. You need to get at least some of your "facts" straight. whistling.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

I come from a Western culture and have Western values but do not recognize those values in Israel.

The Israeli's undoubtedly have an excellent army, one of the strongest in the world, and it is for the most part thanks to the money from American taxpayers the US government sends to them as weapons and training. America is Israel's most important ally. Israel is America's most dangerous ally.

Pity that the US isn't quite as happy to help out a democratic country in this area like Burma, which also has an excellent army .

Many American's agree with you on this....

Israel won a number of wars against an overwhelming enemy with no American help. It wasn't until the Soviet Union started arming and training the Arabs on a grand scale that the US started helping Israel.

By the way, Burma is not a democracy. You need to get at least some of your "facts" straight. whistling.gif

Interesting about Israel. Thanks!

Yes, getting the facts straight is about as easy as straightening a crooked nail.

And I agree, Burma is not _now_ a democracy. That's a well known fact for over twenty years, but what did America, or Israel, ever do for the Burmese who were robbed of their choice in free and open elections?

(BTW Why is it when someone disagrees with an opinion, they become disagreeable? Either I'm an total idiot with my head up my ass or a vicious anti-semite. Why can't a question be addressed without insults and putdowns? Isn't it counter-productive?)

Edited by canuck1941