Carlsberg Returning To Thailand

webfact

Anyone know if it will be in bottles and/or cans also?

I hope it will be brown bottles. I hate the stuff which comes in green.

Marketers believe that brown-bottle beer is lower class and green-bottle beer is higher class.

"Class" in the sense of "Quality as perceived by the consumers", that is. This relates directly to price.

I don't know where this color-classification came from. I don't even think the color of the bottle has anything to do with the taste or the quality of the beer within. Why do you want your beer in brown bottles?

For witch reason ever ... why do they sell "Heineken " in green bottles then.....?? if only for quality beer :lol:

As I said... it's about consumers' perception. ;)

I prefer both Heineken and Beer Lao, but if Carlsburg is sold at a similar price, it might be a nice alternative.

My sentiments exactly.

I also prefer Singha to Heineken and Carlsberg, can't drink too many of them though. The best news of all will be when Beer Lao becomes readily available in shops in Thailand.

According to friend of mine working for Carlsberg in Copenhagen, they have wanted to enter the Thai market for a while, but when they lost the case with Chang, they got banned from doing business in Thailand until now.

About the bottle color, here is what I have learned from a tour at Carlsbergs brewery in Fredericia (Denmark):

Brown bottles are a bit more expensive compared to green, but they have higher UV protection and can be reused more times than green bottles. However, in countries, such as Denmark, where they have advanced recycling systems, the tax on brown bottles are much less than green bottles, since they can be reused more times. As a result, they have used brown bottles for the home markets, and green bottles for export and production in countries with undeveloped recycling systems, since they are not taxed and therefore cheaper.

Since imported beer, which tends to be considered premium, often comes in green bottles, green bottles have over time come to be associated with premium beer. This have even spilled over on several home markets. In Denmark they have tried to sell Carlsberg in green bottles, but so far they have been unsuccessful, since consumers would not pay extra just for green bottles.

A bar owner, who knows the company who are the importers and distributors, told me that it says on the kegs that it is brewed in Malaysia. Apparently he is enjoying a pint even as I write.

Bottled beer tastes crisper and cleaner in the UK the only reason not to drink it is because its twice the price, in los fortunately its cheaper .... draught in Thailand just doesnt tast good at all its always too fizzy.

Edited by Englander

I prefer both Heineken and Beer Lao, but if Carlsburg is sold at a similar price, it might be a nice alternative.

My sentiments exactly.

I also prefer Singha to Heineken and Carlsberg, can't drink too many of them though. The best news of all will be when Beer Lao becomes readily available in shops in Thailand.

Beer Lao is all ready available in Makros all over Thailand since the beginning of 2010

Check out the Wine and Liquor Section ...

I really cannot understand the enthusiastic reaction to the return of this tasteless fizzy crap that purports to be beer.

The Malaysian version is just as bad as the one previously manufactured (I can't bring myself to use the word brewed) in Thailand and I would guess that the Laos one will be the same.

The only Carlsberg worth drinking are the stronger varieties brewed in Denmark.

But, of course, everyone has his or her own tastes.

I tend to agree with your comments that the regionally produced Carlsberg was not so good (although I disagree with the tasteless comment, I thought it tasted pretty bad). If they are now brewing in Laos I wonder how much rice they will be including in the process (as is done in the manufacture of Beer Laos).

Anyone know the reason why they suddenly left Thailand all those years ago?

I could be wrong, but back then I assumed they were just pushed out of the market by Heineken. Heineken was advertising very heavily in those days, I remember trying to watch a soccer game on television during that period, but most of the time I was watching Heineken commercials.

Carlsberg coming back is very good news. I like Chang, but it has a bit too much alcohol, and Singha gives me a nasty hangover, same applies for Tiger. So often going to the bars I end up drinking Heineken, which I hate although I am Dutch. For us Dutch it is bizarre that often in other countries Heineken seems to be regarded as kind of a premium beer, whilst in Holland it is viewed as chemically mass produced stuff.

I really cannot understand the enthusiastic reaction to the return of this tasteless fizzy crap that purports to be beer.

The Malaysian version is just as bad as the one previously manufactured (I can't bring myself to use the word brewed) in Thailand and I would guess that the Laos one will be the same.

The only Carlsberg worth drinking are the stronger varieties brewed in Denmark.

But, of course, everyone has his or her own tastes.

I'll drink to that but not in Carlsberg, just another run of the mill beverage IMO.

Carlsberg returns to Thailand

By SOREN KRAGBALLE

Published at 19:10:10. 23:31

Carlsberg opens in Thailand with careful distribution to 100 bars and restaurants.

Carlsberg is back in Thailand after more than six years' absence.

The relaunch going gently with the sale of beer to preliminary 100 selected bars on the famous tourist places.

The brewery had in 2004 almost flee the country after a spectacular enmity with one of Thailand's richest men, whiskey king Khun Charoen.

Ever since then, Thailand has emerged as an open wound and reminded the brewery's top management that was missing an essential piece of Carlsberg's Asian strategy.

It is a market of 18 million. hl (1,800 million. l), of which 2 million. hl is the so-called super-premium segment (branded beers, ed.) where Carlsberg is located.

It is therefore one of Asia's best markets for the expensive beer because of the many tourists.

Only beer

"We start with only selling beer in Thailand and keep us from supermarkets and drugstores. We expect to reach 100 bars and restaurants in the first 12 months and we'll take it from there. It will be primarily in Bangkok and tourist areas. We have witnessed an incredible advance interest after it is rumored, "says Lars Lehmann, director of Carlsberg's license and export business.

Carlsberg has its own breweries in both Vietnam and Malaysia, and Malaysia are intended to supply Thailand with beer.

The opportunity opened up by the turn because the countries in Asean Association agreed to eliminate tariff barriers between countries.

Great campaigns

The rumor of Carlsberg's return in Thailand has spread to competitors. Both Beer Chang, which is owned by Charoen, and Heineken has completed major campaigns in the past to prepare for battle.

"This is a comeback can not keep completely secret. But we are not a direct competitor of Charoen Chang. Price wise we will be level with or just above the Heineken. Since we left Thailand, Heineken has not really had any competitors, so it is these that we must contend with. Dutchmen sits on 90 per cent. of sales in this category in Thailand, "says Lars Lehmann.

Best friends - even

Carlsberg and Charoen was otherwise the best of friends before 2003. Together, they set up two parties in 2000 the joint venture Carlsberg Asia.

It was then supposed to Charoen distribution power should be used to sell both Chang and Carlsberg.

But Carlsberg felt fairly quickly that you paid more than half of the bill, but it was only Chang, who got something out of it.

At the same time began to emerge rumors of "irregularities" surrounding the management of Carlsberg Asia. The Charoen had corrupted parts of the organization.

Neither Carl's then-CEO Nils Smedegaard Andersen, or chairman, Povl Krogsgaard-Larsen, wanted to talk about the real background of the breach.

But in 2003, was one of Carlsberg's executives, Paul Bergqvist, sent to Thailand to clean up.

He fired managers and threw Charoen and his wife from the Board.

Charoen lost face

In Asia, it is important not to "lose face". It did Charoen so much on that occasion. Thus was founded a great enmity between Charoen and Carlsberg.

Charoen is a very influential person in Thailand, and Carlsberg quickly discovered that it was impossible to continue doing business in Thailand alone.

The brewery gave also to find other allies, even if we have good relationships with family behind Thailand's leading brewery group Boon Rawden in particular Seller Leo.

"We chose to look ahead, and we no longer feel that we have a quarrel with Charoen. That is not why we do not go into wider. With the new tariff scheme, it is not necessary to own breweries in Thailand. We will soon open a new brewery in South Vietnam, so why build a brewery, when you have a right around the corner, "says Lars Lehmann.

Carlsberg will later check whether we should go into larger scale and in several segments.

Three-legged strategy

The distributor of Carlsberg in Thailand becomes Fluid Asia Pacific, which already sells 1664 from Kronenbourg, Carlsberg also owns. French Kronenbourg was part of the acquisition of Scottish & Newcastle.

Lars Lehmann will not disclose the financial targets in Thailand, or tell how big a market share of endeavoring to call the re-launch a success.

Carlsberg has a strategy that rests on three legs.

Asia is defined here as the "third leg" and the future marketplace.

Carlsberg can with justification claim to be the best Pan-Asian brewery group with strong presence in China, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal and now also Thailand.

Source: http://epn.dk/brancher/foedevarer/bryg/article2219359.ece via Google translate

A very rich man

"Khun" Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi (66), according to Forbes, number 342 on the list of world's richest people. His fortune is estimated to be 2.9 billion. U.S. dollar and rising. (About 15 billion.).

It provides a place as the third richest in Thailand.

He is the son of a street vendor in Bangkok and made his fortune by selling cheap whiskey and beer. His holding company, Thai Bev, who is Thailand's largest brewer and spirits company in 2006 was listed on the stock exchange in Singapore.

Originally he would have sent the company on the stock market in Thailand, but large protests by Buddhist monks got the plane stopped.

His privately owned company, TCC Land owns Bangkok's famous department store technology Pantip Plaza and Hotel Plaza Athenee in Manhattan, New York. In addition, he owns a number of hotels in Asia, America and Australia as well as residential and retail properties in Singapore and Thailand.

There are very few pictures of him, although he is friends with both the royal family and former Prime Minister Thaksin.

Both he and his wife sat on the board of the joint venture Carlsberg Asia until late 2003 when Carlsberg's CEO, Paul Bergqvist, fired them both. It meant loss of prestige for Charoen and founded an enmity with Carlsberg.

Together with Thaksin, he had plans to buy Liverpool and switch Carlsberg's name out of Beer Chang instead. It succeeded, but a transition played Liverpool's arch rivals Everton with Chang on the chest.

Immediately before and after firing went there rumors of irregularities in the management of Carlsberg Asia, but Carlsberg chose not to make someone accountable.

When Paul Bergqvist cooperation ended so abruptly, was due in particular that Carlsberg felt Charoen utilized the joint company for the promotion of Chang instead of Carlsberg.

Source: http://epn.dk/brancher/foedevarer/bryg/article2219359.ece Via Google Translate

If this show sone thing it shows the quality of beer(?) in Thailand is poor and the range is miniscule. What we really want is some micro breweries, local independents like in England. Pamers 200(Bridport) Batemans XXXB ( Wainfleet), Sharps Special (Rock) Now you are talking Real Ale not this Euro Fiz. The sales of Euro Fiz are declining in the UK whilst Real Ale is growing, alas I think the East India Company will not be coming to our aid this time:angry:

The Bull's Head (Sukhumvit 33/1) is now serving Carlsberg. 150B per pint and 110B per pint during Happy Hour (4-7pm)

Black Swan Carlsberg 180B per pint.

Carlsberg pricing from Robin Hood. 200B per pint and 140B per pint Happy Hour

Source: Friends of Carlsberg Facebook fan page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001071255102

Price wise we will be level with or just above the Heineken. Since we left Thailand, Heineken has not really had any competitors, so it is these that we must contend with. Dutchmen sits on 90 per cent. of sales in this category in Thailand, "says Lars Lehmann.

I didn't know that heienken sold around the 200 Baht level in Bangkok.I think to sell at those price levels Carlsberg will have a hard time.Which other lager sells at 200 Baht a pint and makes a reasonable sales figure?

My sentiments exactly.

So many people raving about Beer Lao...where in Bangkok can i buy this nectar??

A bar owner, who knows the company who are the importers and distributors, told me that it says on the kegs that it is brewed in Malaysia. Apparently he is enjoying a pint even as I write.

Bottled beer tastes crisper and cleaner in the UK the only reason not to drink it is because its twice the price, in los fortunately its cheaper .... draught in Thailand just doesnt tast good at all its always too fizzy.

I prefer a draft over a bottle at any time. Yes, that includes Thailand. Where do you go that they don't know how to set up and tap a good draft?

If this show sone thing it shows the quality of beer(?) in Thailand is poor and the range is miniscule. What we really want is some micro breweries, local independents like in England. Pamers 200(Bridport) Batemans XXXB ( Wainfleet), Sharps Special (Rock) Now you are talking Real Ale not this Euro Fiz. The sales of Euro Fiz are declining in the UK whilst Real Ale is growing, alas I think the East India Company will not be coming to our aid this time:angry:

There are some good microbreweries in Thailand. German Tawan Daeng comes to mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer a draft over a bottle at any time. Yes, that includes Thailand. Where do you go that they don't know how to set up and tap a good draft?

Yes me too. I also wonder why Beer Lao is only sold in bottles and not on draft. When it does, say goodbye to the other crap sold, including the expensive Stella and Kronemburg. Along with the dish swill of Chang and whatever else is sold.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

The Bull's Head (Sukhumvit 33/1) is now serving Carlsberg. 150B per pint and 110B per pint during Happy Hour (4-7pm)

Black Swan Carlsberg 180B per pint.

Carlsberg pricing from Robin Hood. 200B per pint and 140B per pint Happy Hour

Source: Friends of Carlsberg Facebook fan page:

http://www.facebook....100001071255102

sweet jesus, 3/4 quid for a pint of nob wash!! The standard Carlsberg and Heineken are shocking beverages, however the export version (about 5%) of Carlsberg is pretty tasty