Best And Worst Day Fishings At Bung Samran Fishing Lake

thaibound2

Hello readers,

i have had the best and worst days fishing of my life at bung samran in bangkok......

the pond was very empty and i fished from 9 til 9 and caught 29 mekong catsfish and out of the 29, 20 of them where over 20kg and out of the 20, 10 where over 30kg and one was 70kg plus and near 2meteres long!!!!!

so this is the story........... go there for 7am checked the lake out hired a guide a bungalow and 2 rods and 2 bags of bait and used extra large bait balls! through out the day i had a take every 20mins and was kept evry busy and ended up exhausted by the end of the day......

after using up all my bait on the first 28 large mekongs ranging from 20-35kg i didnt think things could get much better.... how ever i was in for a shock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 after borrowing some bait of a guy in the next bungalow for one last cast......... i had a huge take and run!!!!!

the fight lasted 1hr and 20 mins and the giant catfish took me and my guides on a huge chase... i had 3 guides in the water swimming under the bungalows as it went under the platforms and we started in bungaloe 21 and ended up in bungalow 26 in the water, we managed to get the animal to the side of the platform where we could all see it..................

im 6ft,6 and this fish was as long as me and wider(deeper) my 3 guides all said it was the biggest they had seen there angler who they where guiding catch for a long time.... they put it at 70kg plus now time for the heart brake i managed to catch and bring in this fish on the lighter of the 2 rods with blue line that looked like 10lb or 15lb line i used similar in rivers back home this was def not big catfish material.............. in the after math and me recovering from my back spasms and torture of the 1hr,20min battle, it was photo time in the haste to get my camera and shirt off to get in the lake with the fish.......

it kikd on and snapped the line and was gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the only witness,s and proof is the 3 guides and the people next to me at the pod that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no need to say i have been unable to sleep since it truely was the biggest catfish i had ever seen a photo of and the biggest fish i had ever reeled in...... and not to get a photo was heartbraking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant tell you all how depressed i have been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i give you me word this isnt another "one that got away tale" feel free to ask the guide called "V" pronouned "we" him and his friends put it at 70kg plus and 6ft long 2 meters

Its better to have fished and lost than to have never fished at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im so sad we didnt get a pic...... although i got many pic of the 30kg fish which i thought was amasing but not now as they just feel like tiddlers or minnows its so sad

truely heartbroken.....

tight lines to you all!!!!!

24hrs at shadowlake and 24hrs at bungsamran before i leave to see if i can get into anything near that size again......... but i doubt it for bungsamran this thing was big and thats saying sumn!!!!! if only they had better gear

Edited by thaibound2

Hi Thaibound,

My commiserations on your lost photo opportunity....but dont despair your day on Bungsamran was nothing exceptional.

4 fish over 70kgs (wieghed, which is another issue when that big fish finally arrives, bet you wish there was some accurate to the gram certified scales around dont you?) is the best we have done in a single session with one angler, and that is exceptional, never seen it repeated or even close, and 4 fish over 50kgs has been achieved by yours truly with the help of local guides.

The line they use on the hire tackle at BSR is usually 25lb or 30lb fairly cheap and nasty mono, the hire tackle cost you a 1000BHT a set right?

We use 80lb Power Pro Braid, when this rubs up against the timber stilts its the wood that weakens and cuts not the line, it costs a thousand baht a set to hire from us too. Although its bouyant qualities make braid a bit of hassle to use on the float, (but for big fish your normally on the bottim which is why we tackle up with braid) at least it can be relied upon once a big fish is hooked, and it is that which is always the priority for serious anglers on Bungsamran.

Im just curious how much you spent on your day in total? I'm guessing from your other post about Shadow Lake you dislike using tour services?

Edited by rufanuf

The fishing tackle hire should have cost you 500baht per set but Bungsamran do have braid line for an extra 200baht. And the guide you refer to is Wee who is my favourite to catch big mekongs. Anyway good luck on your next trip to Bungsamran.

The fishing tackle hire should have cost you 500baht per set but Bungsamran do have braid line for an extra 200baht. And the guide you refer to is Wee who is my favourite to catch big mekongs. Anyway good luck on your next trip to Bungsamran.

Yes Wee is a very experienced guide, there was some talk of them putting the price of tackle hire up, which considering its quality would have been a bad move, maybe they left it at 500bht then? Either way, its pretty tired equipment on the whole.

Yes Wee is a very experienced guide, there was some talk of them putting the price of tackle hire up, which considering its quality would have been a bad move, maybe they left it at 500bht then? Either way, its pretty tired equipment on the whole.

Agree with you. The fishing tackle is much to be desired. But you can change the spool at Seven Seas shop with the hope of getting a better line. At the end of the day it's best to use one's onw tackle.

Edited by zoso

I have to agree there is nothing like owning your own tackle. If I am lucky and all goes through well ill be fishing with real shimano catfish rod's. Its hard to beat shimano for quality (unless you go way out of that price range).

Got loads of goodies comming over from Europe for fishing next month.

I always wonder about taking a guide, I like to do it myself i feel that i havent caught a fish if the guide has cast it out baited it and hooked it. Its like an other man's fish to me then. But ok for a complete beginner i would advise a guide the first time.

hello all, thanks for the info an replys............

nothing against tour companies or guides, i just find them more expensive as i have recieved a few quotes an after looking into it my self the tour companies charge alot more than if you go it it alone!!!!!!!

hey all, just a few questions if you dont mind helping...???

what is the best way to catch big mekong at bungsamran and not keep hooking into the 30kg range an target the mosters any help inregards to rigs or bait etc and line would be very helpfull,

oh and the day cost me 5000

for 2bags of bait,2rods tackle,2 guides and a bungalow..... i got another guide for free...

my only comlaints weak gear for the big fish and hooking into to many 20-30kg range

also i big thanks to robblok for helping me out inregards to shadow!!!!!!! cheers mate

Edited by thaibound2

nothing against tour companies or guides, i just find them more expensive as i have recieved a few quotes an after looking into it my self the tour companies charge alot more than if you go it it alone!!!!!!!

what is the best way to catch big mekong at bungsamran and not keep hooking into the 30kg range an target the mosters any help inregards to rigs or bait etc and line would be very helpfull,

for 2bags of bait,2rods tackle,2 guides and a bungalow..... i got another guide for free...

my only comlaints weak gear for the big fish and hooking into to many 20-30kg range

also i big thanks to robblok for helping me out inregards to shadow!!!!!!! cheers mate

If you want better gear.. just buy some braid at the shop and switch it with the gear they use.. you do loose money that way but you will have better gear. However i hate fishing with braid on a float its a lot of work.

I have no advice about the bigger ones your guide should help you with that. I almost never fish BSR.

Many years back i had the same problem has the OP regarding the line.With the existing line on the reel I had hired I could not land a fish without being broke off.I went back to the shop and asked them to replace the tackle with another

set.Having attempted to fish with the replaced rod and reel I had the same problem.By this time a was a little pissed off, so back to the shop and asked them to replace the line on the reel with something that was

capable of landing a fish,to which they refused.After a few choice words I then decided to purchace my own line and braid was my choice only to be told I could not use it has it might break the reel.In the end I had to

settle for nylon line with a heavier breaking strain,this was slightly better I think mostly due to the fact it was new.Now I don't know the policy at BSR but surely it cannot be healthy for the fish, swimming round with spring feeders

hanging from their mouths.Doesn't sound like it's improved.

The big Mekong and Caho are close in and on the bottom(mostly) simple rig coil feeder very short hook link 2" also a little bit of foam on the hook will make it easier for the hook to enter the fishe's mouth, I tottaly agree with a previous reply regarding the usage of guides what is the point of having someone bait your coil then cast it out and then hook the fish then pass the rod to you, that is not catching your own fish, I did use a guide for my first time at BSR and after 10 mins I knew how to fish so would not use a guide again, as long as you go with a friend there is no need for a guide the fishing is very easy there.

the amout of floats going up and down the lake is really funny and i saw like 5 of them so that means alot of snapped lines and fish with hooks in there mouths dud to dodgey lines!!!! so yer i suppose its just as bad now as it was when you went....

and yes after the first time going with a guide you could easily do it yourself....... how ever after 20 odd large cat fish i have to admit i was glad to have some one bait up and cast for me! but i have to agree fishing is all about doing it yourself and if a guide does it all it just isnt sport........

but for fishermen not used to big fish angling and catfish fisfhing a guide is so valueable if your after a good day!!!!!!!!!!!

how come braid is so difficult float fishing???

the amout of floats going up and down the lake is really funny and i saw like 5 of them so that means alot of snapped lines and fish with hooks in there mouths dud to dodgey lines!!!! so yer i suppose its just as bad now as it was when you went....

and yes after the first time going with a guide you could easily do it yourself....... how ever after 20 odd large cat fish i have to admit i was glad to have some one bait up and cast for me! but i have to agree fishing is all about doing it yourself and if a guide does it all it just isnt sport........

but for fishermen not used to big fish angling and catfish fisfhing a guide is so valueable if your after a good day!!!!!!!!!!!

Braid floats unless you get sinking braid, if it is windy the braid will be carried across the top of the water pulling the float which you do not really want, mono line you can make sink which will enable the float to hold its position which is ideal.

Braid floats unless you get sinking braid, if it is windy the braid will be carried across the top of the water pulling the float which you do not really want, mono line you can make sink which will enable the float to hold its position which is ideal.

I got some sinking braids from europe but its still not nylon even sinking braids wont help that much. That is why i prefer ledgering.

If you are using guides then expensive fluro carbon is not necessary as the guides will enter the water when ever a big fish goes under the bungalows, but for fishing on your own with a lake that has snags then yes it is a good idea. but I have to say when I visited BSR I did not see anyone using fluro carbon including my guide, also when watching Wee the same applied no shock leader was being used, each to there own I suppose.

Edited by kenny999

If you are using guides then expensive fluro carbon is not necessary as the guides will enter the water when ever a big fish goes under the bungalows, but for fishing on your own with a lake that has snags then yes it is a good idea. but I have to say when I visited BSR I did not see anyone using fluro carbon including my guide, also when watching Wee the same applied no shock leader was being used, each to there own I suppose.

Using fluorocarbon leaders are not for snags. Guides use whatever the anglers is using. I always use guides at Bungsamran not so much to bait and cast for me but difficult to run 5 lines by yourself and it's good company. Recommended to use shock leader at Bungsamran.

Using fluorocarbon leaders are not for snags. Guides use whatever the anglers is using. I always use guides at Bungsamran not so much to bait and cast for me but difficult to run 5 lines by yourself and it's good company. Recommended to use shock leader at Bungsamran.

Why would anyone wish to use 5 rods at BSR,seems like a nightmare scenario to me.

There is no sure way to target big mekongs. One is to run lines with huge bait-size of a cantaloupe-and wait and wait. The other is bait and cast all rods every 15 minutes close to same spot to built up a "sweet spot'. The latter is my preference just Lum+buttermilk+pondwater. Catch many fishes but the hope to catch big ones and IMO it do work.

anyone ever thought about using dyneema (sp) its braided and stronger than wire of similar size and very abrasion resistant, we use it here in the 2 mm size for professional fishing on automatic jigging machines for cod and mackerel, brought over a 30 lb test rod with roller rings last year and thought i might try dyneema:rolleyes:

scotty

Why would anyone wish to use 5 rods at BSR,seems like a nightmare scenario to me.

its all about being able to afford using 5 rods, but for me 1 rod is more than enough at BSR purley because you can not cope with any more than that!! as for Fluro Carbon which is a shock leader and has high abrasion qualities why would you use that when you are not casting far, shock leader is used because, when casting big baits far the extra pressure on normal line could cause it to break.

I also use a fluorocarbon shock leader, but not so much for the distance, but for the weight being cast.

I doubt most line manufacturers envisioned their lines handling casts with the size and weight of the bait balls used at places like BSR.

The fact that it sinks faster than mono or braid helps with the float fishing too.

I also use a fluorocarbon shock leader, but not so much for the distance, but for the weight being cast.

I doubt most line manufacturers envisioned their lines handling casts with the size and weight of the bait balls used at places like BSR.

The fact that it sinks faster than mono or braid helps with the float fishing too.

Good simple explanation...

There is no sure way to target big mekongs. One is to run lines with huge bait-size of a cantaloupe-and wait and wait. The other is bait and cast all rods every 15 minutes close to same spot to built up a "sweet spot'. The latter is my preference just Lum+buttermilk+pondwater. Catch many fishes but the hope to catch big ones and IMO it do work.

Hi . is buttermilk better than coconut milk to mix with bread flakes,i have been using coconut milk.

I fished the lake just outside khon kaen caught about 6 fish,2 catfish would have been more but got there late took me 1 hour to find plus the hooks i had was bending,next trip i will go better prepared.

Has anyone on here fished here i want to go again?

Also anyone fished the fishing park in kalasin i plan on a trip there this week,anyone have the directions. thanks nev.