Vegi Restaurants

Rinrada

Go an email with some recco Vegis places in Chiang Rai including one that does fried pigs innards :D ....wot-ever turns you on :D

aroy mak... :D

Vegetarian Restaurants:

Boonsita Restaurant (New: Be the first to add one: Reviews)

Prasopsuk Rd (1 street from bus station)

053-808-377

Thai, Buffet, Buddist

Open 7am till 7pm. Early is best.Very friendly

Mae Daeng Mangsawirat-Jay Restaurant (New: Be the first to add one: Reviews)

Diagonally across from the Reuan Tip Hotel on Paho

09-559-0580

Vegan, Thai

Open 6:30am-2pm, M-F, but do check with Mae Daeng to make sure she's open. Mae Daeng turned 70 in 2004 and has been running this restaurant for over 10 years.

She cooks all the food in her restaurant and makes her own black sesame seed butter, which sells all around Thailand. She would hire help but she knows the standard of quality and cleanliness will not be the same as if she did it herself.

Many people have complained they can't find her restaurant because the sign is not big enough.

Rather than change the sign she has been known to say, "You must have good karma to have found my restaurant"—apparently she selects her consumers rather than hoping consumers will select her!

No name (New: Be the first to add one)

Singhaclai Road, 150 yds. East of Overbrook Hospital (150 yards west of Thai Tourist Authority Office)

Vegan, Chinese, Thai

More expensive than the other restaurants (around 5 baht/dish).

The quality, however, doesn’t seem to be much different. The restaurant is clean, but the portions are very small. The selling point is possibly location and variety--not eating at the same vegetarian restaurant every day. This restuarant is on the North side of Singhaclai Road, opposite Wat Pra Sing.

No Name (New: Be the first to add one: Reviews)

Wisetwiang Road

Vegan, Chinese, Thai

Within walking distance of the PDA Hilltribe Museum and/or Vocational College.

To get there: Leave the museum and go west on Thanalai road. At your first 4-way junction (Wisetwiang), turn right (go north).

The restaurant will be about 50 yards up on your right (East side of Wisetwiang street). The competitive advantage of this restaurant is simply location and a change of scene. The food is good, but nothing to write home about.

Oasis Vegetaurant (New: Be the first to add one: Reviews)

612/93 Sirikorn Market Paholyothin Road (150 yards from bus station)

053-740-791

Vegan, Chinese, Thai

Hours: 7:00-20:00 every day. Arguably the largest and cleanest vegetarian restaurant in town.

As usual, the food is all pre-cooked and laid out behind a glass window for you to point and choose. They have a wonderful selection of vegetarian meats (for those who don't object to meat imitations)—red pork, duck, three-flavored fish, drumsticks, fried pig intestines, etc.

T

hey also offer a few made to order items like "guay dtee-ow"—especially delicious in the cool season after a long day's trekking.

Sala Jay-Mangsawirat (New: Be the first to add one: Reviews)

Bratoo Chiang Mai Road, Across the street from the Land Office

053-714-480

Vegan, Thai

Hours: Weekdays for breakfast and lunch.

Been open for around eight years. It's one of the smallest of the vegetarian restaurants, but the food is good and the people are nice.

Tamachat (New: Be the first to add one: Reviews)

Across the street from Api Plaza on Sanam Bin Road

053-753-000

Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Juice-bar

Hours: 7-4pm daily.

The food here is consistently good and they have a wide variety of options, so you're never bored. These include corn, pumpkin, and sesame seed juice/soup; "guay dtee-ow," "kao soi" (a Northern specialty), grain & vegetable salad, khanome jin noodles.

:o

Quote Khun Rinrada:

Oasis Vegetaurant

Hours: 7:00-20:00 every day. Arguably the largest and cleanest vegetarian

restaurant in town.

Yes Khun Rinrada,

This is a very recommendable one. It is on the corner of the little street which connects the big nightbazar foodmarket with the Sirikornmarket (flowers, meat, rice and so on) Between the two parking places so to say.

Good for 'take away' as well. Really nice food.

And the little barbershop opposite does a good job for 30 Baht.

As usual, the food is all pre-cooked and laid out behind a glass window for you

to point and choose. They have a wonderful selection of vegetarian meats (for

those who don't object to meat imitations)—red pork, duck, three-flavored fish,

drumsticks, fried pig intestines, etc.

I suppose that when you don't eat meat for religious reasons, you don't eat imitations as well. If you don't eat meat for health reasons it doesn't matter how it looks. That's the only explanation I can come up with myself.

But strange it is.

Limbo

At Oasis, I also recommend trying one of the many juices that you can have with some kind of jelly balls in it. And if you don't like them you can let the child in you have a go by blowing them away with the perfectly matched straw. :o

Suprisingly, there are a lot of veg resturants around, a lot of them coming up in the past few years. My husband is from Aumphur Mae Lao, which has no vegetarian resturants. It was a real problem when I first started to go to his home--no one could actually get their minds around what a vegetarian was. You mean you won't eat this big piece of scrumtous dog with us? Oh, the day his father brought home a rat in the front of the motorcycle, I knew I would have problems! Luckily there is a variety of veg. places, and one just a few doors down from our newly rented house, so food isn't so much of an issue anymore. Thank goodness, though, I thought we were heading towards divorce the day my husband told me that I was to help kill a cow for the village feast!