Ubuntu => It Meeting

Cloggie

Reminder ==== IT Meeting ====

Coming Thursday February 10th around 7.00PM - Bangkok, Sukhumvit Soi 8, Soi 8 Bar

Urandom, Colin Chapman, Dharmabam, Crushdepth, DevDrinker, BugJackBaron, DaveJonesBKK, Siamect (?)

New members are more than welcome to join!

Hope to see you all again.

Cheers,

Cloggie

Count me in, This time I'll bring my laptop.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm interested in Centos Linux in a server environment, maybe I'll come to the next one as I'm in Bangkok most of the time now.

i would like to discuss this, i hope you can make it.

on another note, if anyone happens to have an old crappy notebook in the closet headed for the bin, please bring it along, i will take it off your hands for a good cause.

k

in case anyone wonders what we discuss at these meeting, tonight's 2 hottest topics were:

and

peas out,

k

oh, and don't trust your government, don't trust google, don't trust apple, don't trust microsoft, don't trust you wife, your cellphone is spying on you!

Edited by dharmabm

Interesting article - I'm not surprised but I think Nokia is really taking a risk strapping itself to an unproven platform, and it is a bit disheartening that they still don't realise that they *are* a commodity maker of phones. If it were me I would have been having a bet both ways (ie. with Android too).

But common sense isn't in abundant supply at Nokia :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

Next week IT meeting again at Sukhumvit Soi 8, Soi 8 Bar in Bangkok.

Proposal:

- Wednesday March 9th

- Thursday March 10th

Please raise your hands!

Cheers,

Cloggie

Edited by Cloggie

I would prefer Wednesday, but I can make it on Thursday.

Has the date of this meeting been set?

Although I am out of the country and would love to attend I am unable to.

However I have a good friend in BKK sho has just bought a new Sony Y series netbook and installed Linux Mint on it.

This is his first experience of Linux although he is fairly computer literate having spent many years tuning and fixing XP installations for family and friends.

He is having mouse / touchpad issues and rather than trying to talk him through possible fixes that are posted on the net from a distance I have suggested he go in to town and meet you guys.and get some starter tips on Linux.

Gentlemen,

I would prefer the meeting Thursday March 10th as I can't make it tomorrow to Bangkok.

For newcomers:

Lokation: Bangkok, Sukhumvit Soi 8, Soi 8 Bar

Start: about 07:00pm, just look for a table with laptops...

Hope to see you all again.

Cheers,

Cloggie

Can somebody post the 'minutes' ot the IT meeting.

Well, most of the meeting was spent listening to Dharmabm shouting accusations of porcine bestiality at someone in America via Skype. In mitigation, he was badly affected by the tragic news that Thailand has completely run out of Guinness just in time for St. Patrick's Day.

Crushdepth gave a little talk on the dangers inherent in attempting cruising in non-gay venues (specifically the Soi 8 Pub).

Urandom was .... actually, probably better not to go into detail on this one.

We had one new attendee, Flash.

Still no women for some reason!

At the point that I left, no date had been arranged for the next meeting, a fact I have only just realised while typing these minutes. We obviously shouldn't be allowed out without our leader!

Thanks for the update.

Next IT Meeting: Thursday April 7th as Wednesday April 6th (Chakri Memorial Day) - I am not sure if they will serve alcohol :-)

I know from experience that without alcohol, I will see no members at the IT Meeting....

If problems with the date, please propose new date.

Cheers,

Cloggie

Can somebody post the 'minutes' ot the IT meeting.

Well, most of the meeting was spent listening to Dharmabm shouting accusations of porcine bestiality at someone in America via Skype. In mitigation, he was badly affected by the tragic news that Thailand has completely run out of Guinness just in time for St. Patrick's Day.

Crushdepth gave a little talk on the dangers inherent in attempting cruising in non-gay venues (specifically the Soi 8 Pub).

We had one new attendee, Flash.

At the point that I left, no date had been arranged for the next meeting, a fact I have only just realised while typing these minutes. We obviously shouldn't be allowed out without our leader!

in between my rants, i recall we also discussed a bit about backup software and strategies, honeypots, and dns spoofing, among other things.

k

in between my rants, i recall we also discussed a bit about backup software and strategies, honeypots, and dns spoofing, among other things.

k

I was hoping that someone more qalified than myself would address the technical stuff!

I do recall being disppointed to find that "honeypots" were nothing to do with exotic female Russian spies.

We also discussed briefly about PC cases, and I've just remembered someone asked me what mine is when I was going on at length about how lovely it is to work on compared to the ones that pre-assembled desktops come in. For anyone interested, it's a Cooler Master 690 II Advance, which is a mid-tower size. It has mesh filters to cover all the air inlets, and they really work. Compared to my previous PC, the inside is almost dust free.

Also, you don't need any tools to install HDDs, ODDs, card readers, etc. The HDDs sit in little trays on rubber wheels to reduce noise and vibration, and they are positioned immediately behind the big intake fan on the front which keeps them cool without having to install those fiddly fans that attach to the underside of the HDD.

post-59304-0-30278200-1299906771_thumb.j

Barbara, if you're reading this, this is *not* what you think, my .bash_history is at your disposal :whistling:

If that ever happens, I'll swear I'll be using Windows Millennium Edition for a full month.

By the way, there was also some discussion about CMS softwares.

@ColinChapman, nice machine you're having here and the case looks great indeed. Bring it next time, there's that LCD TV just nearby our official table :P

How much was that coolermaster case?

I seem to recall an extensive discussion on the fact that Thailand has run out of Guiness, which indicated gross incompetence on the part of someone, although it was not immediately clear who. We also briefly met a MODx fanboy, who stopped talking to us after about 20 seconds, when he found out there were no other devotees.

Edited by Crushdepth

by the way...

@Crushdepth, here's the SSD I was talking about:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1

the first one to fully support sata III 6Gb/s, it became quite affordable nowadays (I may have been wrong by a few hundred dollars last time, no food+booze never works too well for me :P )

@dharmabm

here's the patch to get back packet injection with recent kernels:

http://ompldr.org/vNjNkcg/channel-negative-one-maxim.patch

there may be some other solutions but this one works for me