Cloggie

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much was that coolermaster case?

THB2,900 from TKCom in Pantip Plaza at the end of August 2010.

ok, i want to reply to at least 3 recent posts in one reply, and i ain't that good with computers and code but i'll give it a try ;>}

i saw one of those coolermasters recently @ seacon, and maybe it was a different model, but i recall it being only about 1500 baht. regardless, i am seriously considering one for a small homebuilt server to do... uh, nevermind, i really shouldn't say what.

@ColinChapman, nice machine you're having here and the case looks great indeed. Bring it next time, there's that LCD TV just nearby our official table :P

and i've been asking since our first meeting why we haven't hacked that display to use for presentations. why do we need someone to lug in a desktop to do so? an svideo or hdma cable should be enough to do the trick, no? (assuming urandom can't figure out a way to do it wirelessly)

We also briefly met a MODx fanboy, who stopped talking to us after about 20 seconds, when he found out there were no other devotees.

and <deleted> was that, BTW? we were discussing (as i recall) joomla vs drupal vs wordpress vs (whatever the antique you use crushdepth ;>}) as a CMS, and he came out of nowhere, asked if we knew modx, and stomped away like we were all idiots when no one had an answer! i still don't know (and don't really care) what modx is, but that was f-in bizarre, no?

i appear to have been blocked from the rest of my rant because i attempted to include to many quotations, so beware more to come about the guiness issues!

k

Edited by dharmabm

so, beercamp is at 'cafe ubuntu' (who knew) on sala daeng, this thursday. you were right colin, they certainly wait until the last minute to announce! anyway, unfortunately i promised my wife i would take her to a gallery opening that night, although it is in the neighborhood and i may try to sneak by with some lame excuse (why don't we go for a walk honey, oh look - a cafe called ubuntu!) anyway, PM me your personal email addresses if you want to start a private discussion about some of our subjects that should not be posted here! ;>}

k

• 3 weeks later...

so, beercamp is at 'cafe ubuntu' (who knew) on sala daeng, this thursday. you were right colin, they certainly wait until the last minute to announce!

I've just discovered this group and thus am looking to attend for the first time. However, it's not clear about the meeting location.

If I understand correctly, meetings have been held at the Soi 8 restaurant on Sukhumvit Road, but now somebody implies Cafe Ubuntu on Saladaeng, or is that some other meeting? (Notably, Ubuntu is an old African word meaning to be considerate and humane to others, not just a linux distro.) Reading a couple of reviews of Cafe Ubuntu, it doesn't seem like a particularly geek place to be after all, but I may be wrong, and it does seem like a nice place to pop in for a coffee and relaxing for a while in free WiFi while in the Saladaeng area someday.

Sukhumvit soi 8 is near where I live as well as where I work (walking distance from both), and expat statistics state that Sukhumvit may be more convenient for others thereby potentially maximizing attendance, but I'm not sure I can get off from work and down to Saladaeng in time. (I know this sounds questionable.) How long do you all usually hang around?

I'm no linux expert but I've used it on and off since near its inception, myself since 1993 when it was very basic, including linux root servers for a few years in this century, and a few little workstations checking it out but not much GUI experience, mainly CLI. Still very much a novice at linux, but like to explore computer system evolution, share experiences and talk about the computer world in general. It's nice when we can socialize a bit face-to-face as a group like legacy humans, albeit with shared interests and inclinations, and perhaps generate some synergy. Thailanders tend to be even more Windows conformist than other places I've been, which is understandable, but it's nice to meet people with possibly a bit more scope and vision than usual.

So, where's the meeting on Thursday the 7th?

I love ubuntu., its effect and animation is perfect which windows cannot compare. But i don't know well about unix coz it's a hard course that i took at the university. I hope to get more ideas about unix and everyone can share them.

Reminder:

Next IT Meeting: Thursday April 7th as Wednesday April 6th (Chakri Memorial Day) - I am not sure if they will serve alcohol :-)

I know from experience that without alcohol, I will see no members at the IT Meeting....

Hope to see all the previous 'members' again AND hopefully also some new 'members' as well!

Write it down in your agenda, Thursday April 7th - Sukhumvit Soi 8 in Soi 8 Bar /Bangkok - NOT Pattaya :lol:

Cheers,

Cloggie

Dear all,

Would like to create a Google-Group for this 'group' so lets think about a nice name and vote for the best one.

Bangkok-Nerds / Bangkok-Geeks / Bangkok-IT / Bangkok-Soi8 / Bangkok-Technology-Group / Bangkok-Technology-Meeting ...

Any sugestions?

Cheers,

Cloggie

Would like to create a Google-Group for this 'group' so lets think about a nice name and vote for the best one.

Bangkok-Nerds / Bangkok-Geeks / Bangkok-IT / Bangkok-Soi8 / Bangkok-Technology-Group / Bangkok-Technology-Meeting ...

Any sugestions?

or Sukhumv-IT ?

At this point, we may prefer to just stick to this Thai Visa forum, and continue to snowball this way.

After all, I would never have joined if I hadn't seen it here. If it goes off into Google Group land, many others may miss it.

My experience has been that it's difficult to start a group like that with just a dozen people, and most groups die out.

It's better to stay latched to an immense group like ThaiVisa, where we will continue to grow over time as others on the forum stumble upon us over here in the IT section.

There have got to be a zillion I.T. forums on the internet already where we can find all sorts of solutions and interesting things, so I don't think we will gain much by creating another one. What I like about this group is occasionally getting away from my monitor in my cave looking at avatars and typing to a screen, and for a change getting out to meet and socialize with some real live animals with a group social dynamic, over shared interests, right here on Sukhumvit. With folks who think out of the cave.

I gotta say, it was a cool group of guys this past Thursday, and had it not been for a few Linux notebooks out, I would not have guessed it was geeks and nerds. Well, there was one who looked like Richard Stallman ;-) busy over a Linux computer with the command line interface, but hey, that was really hip! Where else but the melting pot of Sukhumvit ...

Cheers!

Any sugestions?

or Sukhumv-IT ?

At this point, we may prefer to just stick to this Thai Visa forum, and continue to snowball this way.

After all, I would never have joined if I hadn't seen it here. If it goes off into Google Group land, many others may miss it.

My experience has been that it's difficult to start a group like that with just a dozen people, and most groups die out.

It's better to stay latched to an immense group like ThaiVisa, where we will continue to grow over time as others on the forum stumble upon us over here in the IT section.

I gotta say, it was a cool group of guys this past Thursday, and had it not been for a few Linux notebooks out, I would not have guessed it was geeks and nerds. Well, there was one who looked like Richard Stallman ;-) busy over a Linux computer with the command line interface, but hey, that was really hip! Where else but the melting pot of Sukhumvit ...

Cheers!

ummm, thanks? (assuming you meant me) i tend to agree with paco though, i certainly think the main resource for meeting information should remain here, as it is without a doubt the most widely accessed forum for our target audience. i have felt for some time though that we should have a more private forum for discussing things that may not be appropriate or allowed here, but as you all know my feelings about google i definitely would object to that route. i think a private mailing list would be more appropriate, and although my current host does not allow them with my current plan i am in the process of moving one of my domains to a new host which includes mailing lists, so in the near future i should be able to offer that option as an alternative (that is if you trust me more than you do google). my motto will be ' i won't be too evil'. oh, how i miss the days when i ran my own web and mailserver on an old machine in my basement!

k

I had no idea about these meetings because of inactivity on this forum this past year. <div><br></div><div>This sounds really cool, I never expected to find a "Linux User Group" with foreign user base in Thailand. </div><div><br></div><div>When is your next meeting? I'm a new face to all of you, but due to the subjects I guess we have a lot in common. </div><div><br></div><div>I also have a co-worker, Linux Engineer (Thai National, decent English) that most likely would be happy to attend. </div>

hey all!

2 quick items:

#1 - anyone else interested in beercamp tomorrow night? i'm pretty sure i'm going but it would be nice to see a familiar face! ;>} details below

#2 - remember that guy who came up screaming at us about modx a few meetings ago? well he piqued my curiosity and guess what?! i am developing my newest site with modx. the only thing that offended me about that incident was that he refused to sit and talk to us, so i had to do all my own research without his VAST experience. ;>}

oh, well - i think the dalai lama probably has something wise to say to me about that experience, but i'm not worried, i was inspired. so if anyone wants to join me tomorrow, send me a PM, info below:

"<quote>Time for another BeerCamp and I suggest we try Jean's favorite place

at Coco Walk called Hok Klom. Some of you may remember it from June

last year. It's also in the center aisle, across from Chilling House

but a bit closer to the entrance.

http://www.farangfri...91.aspx

</quote>

Dear all,

Last time in Soi 8 we talked about VPN, honeypots, PGP, DNS Spoofing (+ demo), mobile phones and a lot of other technical subjects

Next time we have - hopefully - have a presentation about Gnome 3 and how to build your own Linux kernel (more info later)

So write it down in your agenda, Wednesday May 4th - Sukhumvit Soi 8 in Soi 8 Bar - Bangkok - start about 07:00pm

If you enter Soi 8 Bar, walk straight - we sit behind the bar. Just look for a table with several laptops :-)

Hope to see Richard-BKK (domain and hosting) and WilliamSandin as well.

Cheers,

Cloggie

Edited by Cloggie

Would like to go there but it's to far for me as I live in Pattaya, maybe I should move to Bangkok...

hey all!

2 quick items:

#1 - anyone else interested in beercamp tomorrow night? i'm pretty sure i'm going but it would be nice to see a familiar face! ;>} details below

#2 - remember that guy who came up screaming at us about modx a few meetings ago? well he piqued my curiosity and guess what?! i am developing my newest site with modx. the only thing that offended me about that incident was that he refused to sit and talk to us, so i had to do all my own research without his VAST experience. ;>}

oh, well - i think the dalai lama probably has something wise to say to me about that experience, but i'm not worried, i was inspired. so if anyone wants to join me tomorrow, send me a PM, info below:

"<quote>Time for another BeerCamp and I suggest we try Jean's favorite place

at Coco Walk called Hok Klom. Some of you may remember it from June

last year. It's also in the center aisle, across from Chilling House

but a bit closer to the entrance.

http://www.farangfri...91.aspx

</quote>

Let's discuss this May 4th at the next IT meeting, hope to see you there

I'm willing to donate a domain name and hosting... I already have a domain name associated with Linux and Thailand which I'm willing to donate freely. Needed is moderators and admins etc...

William,

Take your staff with you and join the next meeting May 4th in Soi 8 Bar, Sukhumvit Soi 8 in Bangkok

Cheers,

Cloggie

I had no idea about these meetings because of inactivity on this forum this past year. <div><br></div><div>This sounds really cool, I never expected to find a "Linux User Group" with foreign user base in Thailand. </div><div><br></div><div>When is your next meeting? I'm a new face to all of you, but due to the subjects I guess we have a lot in common. </div><div><br></div><div>I also have a co-worker, Linux Engineer (Thai National, decent English) that most likely would be happy to attend. </div>

DNS Spoofing (+ demo)

demo which wasn't really successful as I forgot I had a custom networking daemon script for "outside networks" that triggers additional iptables rules. coke zero only, for me, next time :P

Now that we have our giant LCD display, we could demo it again, it takes only a few minutes.

Next time we have - hopefully - have a presentation about Gnome 3 and how to build your own Linux kernel (more info later)

I'd be happy to make a short presentation on how to make a custom kernel .config and to build a "desktop oriented" patched kernel (with BFS scheduler or even -ck maybe)

I can't say I'm able to explain each and every option in the kernel config but I've spent a lot of CPU cycles building kernels and it could be fun (but maybe a bit long so hopefully not boring)

cheers

Edited by urandom

• 2 weeks later...

Next month I can do a presentation about wardriving: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardriving

Last week I installed Kismet and with the help of an old GPS receiver and GISKismet I was able to convert a database of wifi points to a kml file that I can import into Google Earth - can show this to you tomorrow

A demonstration about wardriving:

Great stuff!!!!

Cloggie

Next month I can do a presentation about wardriving: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Wardriving

Last week I installed Kismet and with the help of an old GPS receiver and GISKismet I was able to convert a database of wifi points to a kml file that I can import into Google Earth - can show this to you tomorrow

A demonstration about wardriving:

Great stuff!!!!

Cloggie

hehehe... very handy if you find unencrypted wifi networks, but these days they are relatively hard to find. of course, theoretically, if you knew how to intercept packets and could crack wep (or even wpa) passwords, then this would come in very handy, but that is the kind of topic that i insist we have a private forum for, if you would like to discuss it further ;>}

hey all - turns out i don't have an hdmi cable after all, i have s-video and a rather long svga. @ urandom - since you are doing the presentation tonight, you have vga output? i'm betting on that over s-vid, but i'll bring both just in case.

k