What It Costs Me To Live In Korat

buadhai

TV frequently gets posts from people planning to move to LOS wondering what their monthly expenses will be. I've never seen a very definitive reply. In fact, when we first moved here we had only a vague idea as to how much we'd be spending each month, even though my girlfriend was born and raised in Korat. This post is an attempt to give some actual cost of living figures.

Of course, living expenses are highly personal and depend on individual taste and habits. Dining and drinking costs can vary wildly.

After living here for a couple months we had a pretty good idea as to what our lifestyle would be like and set up the following budget:

UBC Cable TV.............1,500

KCTV (Cable TV)............350

Max Net Internet...........750

TT&T.......................500

Newspaper..................620

Electricity...............2000

Water......................500

Auto fuel.................2000

Car Maintenance...........2000

Laundry.....................80

School....................1000

Breakfast..................340

Lunch....................3,000

Dinner...................6,000

Happy Hour...............3,000

Garland....................300

Mobile Phone...............600

Household Supplies.......5,000

==============================

Total...................29,540

We are living in the family home, so we have no rental expense. In lieu of rent we pay all the non-food household expenses including utilities, telephone, cable TV, and Internet. We have both UBC and cable because there are three TV's in the house. Three computers share the Internet connection. We do not have cooking facilities, so all our meals are either consumed in a restaurant or are take out. We usually eat low cost local food, but have more expensive meals out several times a week.

"Happy Hour" is three or four beers for me and a couple of ice cream bars which we consume on the front porch each evening. We don't go out much at night.

For the month of July our actual expenditures were just about 32,000 baht. Over budget due to a long dive to Prachuap Khiri Khan.

I post this only as a real world example of what it costs one couple and kid to live as we do in Korat. Of course, we could spend a lot more (or a lot less). But, we're pretty happy with our lifestyle and I never feel like we have to economize or do without in order to make do.

I hope this helps some of you planning to make a move to Thailand.

Edited by buadhai

Great post Mike.....but you left out a sure expense.....medical.

Deliberately. This was just an attempt to enumerate and quantify recurring monthly expenses. I left out things like medical expenses, repairs, replacement of appliances and such. For those things you really need to have some sort of savings or other plan. As far as health care goes, I have health insurance and enough income and savings to cover deductibles and co-insurance.

You must be making good money

To whom were you referring and what do you consider "good" money?

I think he must have been talking about you Mike........ :D

As for what is good money? Enough to maintain the lifestyle you want.....and then some! :D !

I live in a small village about 40kms NE of Korat.

My outgings pretty much mirror yours. I guess somethere between 30-35K Baht per month depending.

However you seem to have left out sick buffaloes, ailling relatives, demanding sisters in law, etc. etc........ :o

Only joking... :D

I used to spend a lot of time in Buriram province and looking back now I was possibly spending 6-7,000 a month.

I had a roof over my head and up to 4 meals a day, so it wasn't a bad deal, not that I was looking for one.

It just sent me nutty.

It's now been about two years since I visited the region. Maybe I should go again?

TV frequently gets posts from people planning to move to LOS wondering what their monthly expenses will be. I've never seen a very definitive reply. In fact, when we first moved here we had only a vague idea as to how much we'd be spending each month, even though my girlfriend was born and raised in Korat. This post is an attempt to give some actual cost of living figures.

Of course, living expenses are highly personal and depend on individual taste and habits. Dining and drinking costs can vary wildly.

After living here for a couple months we had a pretty good idea as to what our lifestyle would be like and set up the following budget:

UBC Cable TV.............1,500

KCTV (Cable TV)............350

Max Net Internet...........750

TT&T.......................500

Newspaper..................620

Electricity...............2000

Water......................500

Auto fuel.................2000

Car Maintenance...........2000

Laundry.....................80

School....................1000

Breakfast..................340

Lunch....................3,000

Dinner...................6,000

Happy Hour...............3,000

Garland....................300

Mobile Phone...............600

Household Supplies.......5,000

==============================

Total...................29,540

We are living in the family home, so we have no rental expense. In lieu of rent we pay all the non-food household expenses including utilities, telephone, cable TV, and Internet. We have both UBC and cable because there are three TV's in the house. Three computers share the Internet connection. We do not have cooking facilities, so all our meals are either consumed in a restaurant or are take out. We usually eat low cost local food, but have more expensive meals out several times a week.

"Happy Hour" is three or four beers for me and a couple of ice cream bars which we consume on the front porch each evening. We don't go out much at night.

For the month of July our actual expenditures were just about 32,000 baht. Over budget due to a long dive to Prachuap Khiri Khan.

I post this only as a real world example of what it costs one couple and kid to live as we do in Korat. Of course, we could spend a lot more (or a lot less). But, we're pretty happy with our lifestyle and I never feel like we have to economize or do without in order to make do.

I hope this helps some of you planning to make a move to Thailand.

auto fuel and car maintenance require a car, and that has to be bought first - could be probably distributed over 5 - 7 years.

3000 for happy hour does not include any drinks when going out

some special (european) food is already available in Korat, but at a price!

most of us do are "helping" the family here and there

so basically that would increase the necessary monthly funds -

on the other hand, I have friends who live happily on less than 20k a month!

Back to medical care expense. I realize that situations (age, health, number of dependents, etc.) vary but wonder what ballpark figure to budget in as a monthly expense? I visited BUPA and Thai Health Insurance websites to get premium quotes and got sticker shock. My quotes were from 16,000 baht and up per month, depending on deductibles and coverages :o

It's possible that I might have misread the charts but can anyone relate their actual experiences in obtaining a health care insurance package?

Regards

polehawk :D

Are you sure that's the monthly premium? I asked my sister-in-law, who is in the finance/insurance business, and she recommended AIA. She said that the annual premium for a 50 year old male with top coverage would be about 20,000 baht per year. You have to pay the full year the first year, but can pay monthly in subsequent years.

Caveat: this was a translated conversation, so I'm not entirely sure about the details....

Are you sure that's the monthly premium? I asked my sister-in-law, who is in the finance/insurance business, and she recommended AIA. She said that the annual premium for a 50 year old male with top coverage would be about 20,000 baht per year. You have to pay the full year the first year, but can pay monthly in subsequent years.

Caveat: this was a translated conversation, so I'm not entirely sure about the details....

I like your ballpark figure of about 20,000 baht per year a whole lot more than what I figured I was seeing and will check out AIA. Might be that the quotes I saw were actually annual premiums? Thanks for the info.

Mia noi=5,000 baht/month? If I include this one in my budget, mrs polehawk has informed that I will definitely need medical insurance. :o

I like your ballpark figure of about 20,000 baht per year a whole lot more than what I figured I was seeing and will check out AIA. Might be that the quotes I saw were actually annual premiums? Thanks for the info.

Mia noi=5,000 baht/month? If I include this one in my budget, mrs polehawk has informed that I will definitely need medical insurance. :o

but at least the ducks will be fed :D

but at least the ducks will be fed :D

ducks??? hmmm, mia noy. mrs polehawk. medical insurance. AFLAC !!!

We really need to point out several factors that might not be that obvious. And I am sure there are many more than this short list. :o

1. As pointed out medical coverage - and if of a younger age perhaps life insurance. Other insurance?

2. Tax - if a pension subject to such - or we only count money available here after tax.

3. Future - we have retired and have pension income but someone younger will need to put aside enough to provide later - this needs to be quite a bit for those of working age.

4. The car/house need to be taken into account and tax/insurance for them.

5. Visa costs (for those doing border runs that can mount up fast).

6. Travel to home country. Depending on amount can be quite a lot.

7. Boy toys. That new computer gadget/mobile phone or whatever.

8. Wat donations for family, neighbors and such.

9. Home maintenance - repairs/upgrades are a part of life.

10. Maid.

11. Postage for those things you mail and order.

12. Bank fees.

13. Beauty shop/barber shop.

14. Auto upgrades/repairs.

Sure, there are lots of expenses that might, or might not come up during the course of the month. Hence the title of this post, including the caveat.

The point of the post was to let someone who has never lived here know about what ordinary things cost based on one family's real experience.

For those noting additional possible expenses, it would probably be most helpful to at least include a range of possible amounts.

Merely mentioning the possibility of having a maid doesn't let someone know about how much it would cost to hire one.

Sure, there are lots of expenses that might, or might not come up during the course of the month. Hence the title of this post, including the caveat.

The point of the post was to let someone who has never lived here know about what ordinary things cost based on one family's real experience.

For those noting additional possible expenses, it would probably be most helpful to at least include a range of possible amounts.

Merely mentioning the possibility of having a maid doesn't let someone know about how much it would cost to hire one.

I agree but there is no set amount as we all have different requirements. All I wish to do is point out that "most" people IMO will have a lot more expenses than you are currently facing/budgeting and the 37 year old planning to make the move had better plan for more than today.

As we know there are people living on 10,000 baht and others having trouble making ends meet on 100,000. But I believe many of the items I listed will be required in a complete budget, whatever the level.

And I especially want to stress the need to provide for the future.

13.  Beauty shop/barber shop.

OK, maybe I'm being pedantic here Lop, but my beauty/barber shop bills come to about Bht 50.00 per month (Sterling 0.65). And I'm an ugly bastid! :o

See. If you spent more you would not be so ugly. :D

But for those with young wives that expense could be a lot higher - especially if she has to work and look good every day.

For those of us with income above budgets it is not a problem but for people planning on coming here with minimal incomes I suspect most look as our figures and decide no problem and forget to allow for extras.

Well then, as the OP, perhaps I should clarify my financial position. I'm retired with a pension. I have health insurance, the premiums of which are deducted from the pension before I see it. Ditto with taxes.

I have budgeted 30,000 baht for our recurring monthly expenses. However, each month I top up our current account to 40,000 baht to account for the "extras": my 300 baht monthly hair cut at The Mall, the car insurance and tax which come up annually, home repair, clothing, pirated DVD's and other entertainment, etc.

What's left of my pension goes to top up a savings account which I keep at US$10,000. This is to cover toys, trips "home", unexpected medical expenses, repairs, etc.

The rest of the pension goes into various other holdings, including liquid and non-liquid investments worth several hundred thousand US dollars.

In short, although my recurring monthly expenses amount to less than US$800 a month, I am prepared and able to spend much more than that should the need arise.

On the other hand, if I gave up air conditioning, owning a car, UBC, ADSL, dining out and happy hour I could probably live happily with those in the 10K baht a month club.

YMMV

My largest expenses are satellite Internet at 3,200 per month, UBC 1,600 and auto/health insurance at 3,000. My girlfriend has her own house so there is no rent. The water bill last month was 42 baht and the electric bill less than 1,000. She gets a LOT of food from the garden and we VERY seldom eat out because I like her cooking better. I have a few beers several times a week but at 40 baht for a big bottle I doubt that that costs much over 1,000 a month. The most fuel I burn is for the occasional trip to Jomtien so I'm sure 2,000 baht per month fuel is more than enough. My retirement visa is 1,900 baht a year. I live exactly the way I WANT to live and when I want a new toy I buy it. Living as cheaply as I do I have a healthy surplus to buy unneeded things.

Well then, as the OP, perhaps I should clarify my financial position. I'm retired with a pension. I have health insurance, the premiums of which are deducted from the pension before I see it. Ditto with taxes.

I have budgeted 30,000 baht for our recurring monthly expenses. However, each month I top up our current account to 40,000 baht to account for the "extras": my 300 baht monthly hair cut at The Mall, the car insurance and tax which come up annually, home repair, clothing, pirated DVD's and other entertainment, etc.

What's left of my pension goes to top up a savings account which I keep at US$10,000. This is to cover toys, trips "home", unexpected medical expenses, repairs, etc.

The rest of the pension goes into various other holdings, including liquid and non-liquid investments worth several hundred thousand US dollars.

In short, although my recurring monthly expenses amount to less than US$800 a month, I am prepared and able to spend much more than that should the need arise.

On the other hand, if I gave up air conditioning, owning a car, UBC, ADSL, dining out and happy hour I could probably live happily with those in the 10K baht a month club.

YMMV

Really....... :D

You have cut out the Chang on the balcony! :o !

And I don't think you want to do that! :D !

I get a haircut about every six weeks. The village barber recently raised his prices. It now cost me 25 baht for a haircut.

My girlfriend does not go to the beauty shop and doesn't even own a tube of lipstick.

Living in Loei, monthly outgoings (roughly)

3500 rent

1500 ubc

800 broadband

1700 bills (elctric, phones, mobiles)

7500 food [250ish/day for food (for two people)]

3000 petrol car maintenance

2000 various shit

=20000

do not drink, so here's a money saver...

however,

12000 a month for the next 48 for paying off the car inflates the bill a bit...

monthly income (2 people)= 25000 + 12000 + 5000 (extras)= 42000

so if am lucky will not need to dip into the savings before buying my tickets home...

as stated earlier

no ubc, internet and other 'luxuries' and the bill can come down a lot....

--------------------------------------------------------

on medical

no medical /health/ as included in the wifes civil servicethingy.....i know it is not the best in the world, but for free healthcare it compares easily with the English cities i have stayed at...end point: if a major health issue hits us, i am off back to greece (which of course might not have the wide acceptance of the audience here, but is certainly the best i have had along with Spain)

• 2 months later...