Moving To Cnx - Service Apartments

x-pat

Can anyone recommend a service apartment (or another place that has a kitchen) where I can stay with my wife and kid for about 10 days? Muang or Hangdong would be nice. So far I only staid in hotels and guest houses in CNX. Couldn't find any service apartments on the net.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers, X-Pat

Take a look at Viangbua Mansion - cheapest rate per day is on a monthly rent, but they might cut you a deal for ten days depending on the time of year and how busy they are. The place is less than a year old.

Apartments come with a fair kitchen area - good-sized refrigerator and the cooking facilities are 2 hot-plates. As I recall, you only get given a fry-pan for cooking but it's not that expensive to buy a saucepan etc at the nearby Rimping supermarket. Coin-op washing machines and dryer downstairs. Very friendly and efficient staff. If there are three of you, you'll need to ask for an extra set of plate/mug/cutlery etc - but I'm sure they'll provide this with a smile.

It's located about a mile north of Chang Phuak gate (and north of Novotel) - generally too far to walk to the old city etc, so you'd really need your own transport or use tuk-tuks.

http://www.viangbuamansion-chiangmai.com/

Thanks!

Viangbua Mansion looks good.

There don't seem to be a lot of service apartments in Chiang Mai. Funny. They're quite popular in Bangkok.

Cheers, X-Pat

I think you're right - at least as far as short-term rentals go. I dug up the following link from my old list, but a] I think most are for long-term and b] it means contacting them individually.

http://www.chiangmai-thai.com/apartment.htm

I second Viangua Mansion.  We stayed there for a month and it was really nice.  The only thing we ran into was that the dishes and pots/pans were scarce.  They might have changed that by now.

Hi!

I think there is also a monthly extra charge for electricity and water. Do you remember how much was it roughly?

Thanks.

MO

Oh boy!

I just looked at the location map of the Viangbua Mansion and that's exactly where i do NOT want to be. I need to be either inside the city square or south of it, but not north.

Hang-Dong would be okay, too, since I have to do at least two trips to San Patong and Hang Dong.

@Sansai Sam:

Do you have any info on that new apartment?

Cheers & Thanks,

X-Pat

• 3 weeks later...
I know a guy who lives in the Suites at the top of the Royal Lanna Hotel.  He pays 4000 baht a month plus electricty.  I think that his suite has a kitchen as well.

EOW

Are you sure he is only paying Baht 4,000 a month plus electricity? That seems way too reasonable for a suite at the top of the Royal Lanna.

I have never been in the place but from what I see on the internet it looks quite nice. Heck, they charge tourists half that amount per day. You could not mean 40,000 as that is way too much for a monthly, but 4,000?

If true I think that would be my choice for my first month back. :o

I know a guy who lives in the Suites at the top of the Royal Lanna Hotel.  He pays 4000 baht a month plus electricty.  I think that his suite has a kitchen as well.

EOW

Are you sure he is only paying Baht 4,000 a month plus electricity? That seems way too reasonable for a suite at the top of the Royal Lanna.

I have never been in the place but from what I see on the internet it looks quite nice. Heck, they charge tourists half that amount per day. You could not mean 40,000 as that is way too much for a monthly, but 4,000?

If true I think that would be my choice for my first month back. :o

The Royal Lanna has one (or maybe two, can't remember) floors set aside for long-term rentals. The room I saw was on the 14th floor and with utilities the cost was right at USD $200 per month. This was back in mid-April. It was extremely quiet as most of the rooms were leased but no one there. The room I saw had no kitchen. Just fridge, 2 single beds, tv, decent bathroom.

The Royal Lanna has one (or maybe two, can't remember) floors set aside for long-term rentals. The room I saw was on the 14th floor and with utilities the cost was right at USD $200 per month. This was back in mid-April. It was extremely quiet as most of the rooms were leased but no one there. The room I saw had no kitchen. Just fridge, 2 single beds, tv, decent bathroom.

Maybe EOW's friend got a special deal. Utilities should not be very high. Not so great a deal at Baht 8,400 especially if no kitchenette.

PT apartments would be a better deal perhaps.

http://www.chiangmai-thai.com/pt_apartment.htm

There are also some newish places inside the moat at around 4,000, but very basic.

If you do not mind being a little outside of the city you can even find nice small furnished 2 bedroom houses and townhouses for as little as Baht 1,000 monthly (even short term). I lived in one and knew of others up in Mae Rim area. Personally however I am thinking to be a bit more central and convenient to transportation when I return.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi!

I have recently noticed a new and quite nice appartments building located just next to Lotus Hotel.:o  Anybody knows about it? Are they for rent?

Thanks. :D

MO

If you mean the 8-storey white place about 80 metres along from the Lotus (away from Chang Phuak Road) and on the other side of the soi, that's Viangbua Mansion - and yes.

If not - sorry, no idea.

Hi!

I have recently noticed a new and quite nice appartments building located just next to Lotus Hotel.:D  Anybody knows about it? Are they for rent?

MO

If you mean the 8-storey white place about 80 metres along from the Lotus (away from Chang Phuak Road) and on the other side of the soi, that's Viangbua Mansion - and yes.

If not - sorry, no idea.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I think my initial message was not clear enough. :o I mean the apartments just besides The Lotus Pang Suan Keaw Hotel (near Central department store) along Huay Kaew Road. I think the color of the buildings was sky blue. :D

Cheers,

MO

Hi!

I have recently noticed a new and quite nice appartments building located just next to Lotus Hotel.:D  Anybody knows about it? Are they for rent?

MO

If not - sorry, no idea.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I think my initial message was not clear enough. :o I mean the apartments just besides The Lotus Pang Suan Keaw Hotel (near Central department store) along Huay Kaew Road. I think the color of the buildings was sky blue. :D

Cheers,

MO

Ahhhhh......... that's a very different hotel :D

Hi!

MO

If not - sorry, no idea.

Cheers,

MO

Those are the Huaykaew residence 3500 to 20,000bht 053895777

Hi!

MO

If not - sorry, no idea.

Cheers,

MO

Those are the Huaykaew residence 3500 to 20,000bht 053895777

Thanks a lot. Do they have by any chance a website with photos of the apartments' interior?

Cheers,

MO

There is a brand new serviced apartment opening in about a week on the canal road near Hang Dong. I have a friend who rented a unit for next month for 12,000 baht. I can get the info for you.

:o

Sainsai Sam: We are coming to Chiang Mai for 6 months. Both Viangbua and PT are booked already. Have you heard if the new apartment you refer to is nice? How can I get more information and book? Any other suggestions?

In Sirimangkalajarn, opposit soi 5, there's a place called Suandok appartments. 4k to 8k a month, depending on room.

Clean, comfortable restaurant downstairs opens at 7:30 am and serves decent, low-priced food. Bakery and Laundromat.

Plenty of Parking. Easy to catch transport at entrance

Within walking distance of Kad Suen Kaew (Lotus Hotel).

Thakkar

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip on Huaykaew Residence. I just signed a lease with them and I move in tomorrow. 3500 baht gets you 24 sqm., air-con, TV, hot water. 4000 gets you the same with a nicer view. I opted for the 4000 (for 3500 you get to stare at another building directly next to you). Bed, dresser, etc. Brand new looking, about 6 tall buildings. Pale white with blue accent buildings directly to the right of Orchard Hotel, NW of the NW corner of the city center. Very friendly/helpful staff. Frirst month's rent, 2 month's deposit, 1000 baht for keycard into the building. Looks like a lot of expats. Security guard at gate. Maybe a 5 min walk from city center. Internet but it costs a little extra, 200 baht a month I think. I'll let you know more once I move in.

www.HuaykaewResidence.com

sounds good.  It is a great location.  Right at the Central shopping complex and near to both the moat and Nimannheimin.

I look forward to your report.  Be sure to ask them what they will charge you for electricity.

what's Nimannheimin? 6 baht/unit for electric, i know that's steep but the place is worth it. 150 baht for water a month is standard, but if you go over the 'allowance' it's more per 'unit'. the lady assured me most apts. with 2 people stay under that limit. also a movie theatre right across the street playing some current american flicks.

Edited by mattloaf1

6 baht/unit for electric is not so bad. Only a little more than what you would pay in your own home. Just don't overuse the air con and you will be fine.

Nimannheimin is a road about 10+ min. walk to the west of where you are. Off that is Grace Dental Clinic, Khun Churn restaurant (great, inexpensive vegetarian buffet), and many other good shops and restaurants.

:o