Classic Mercedes Benz Mechanic In Chiang Mai?

iang

I've just bought a 1970 Mercedes 250 (W114) sedan in Bangkok & am sending it (on a car transporter truck) back up home to Chiang Mai. It is a one owner classic car & in excellent condition. "Big Boy's Toys'!

I'm looking for referals for a good quality & reliable mechanic in CM to do some work on this car + regular maintenance.

Anybody got any suggestions (aside from the Mercedes Benz dealership that is!)? Towards the Hang Dong area would be fantastic, however truthfully, would go anywhere in / around CM if the quality of work is good and the price reasonable. I don't want cheap, I want quality work!

All input would be welcomed.

you will be lucky, although I wish you well, I think the Benz dealership (especially if you want to keep it pristine is your only option)

BTW I am DEAD jealous, but I speak what I know. In the UK I had a 320 a 2 year old CLK Cabriolet, that was 2,000 quid a pop to keep on the road, sorryI cant give you any more advice, perhaps there are more that can than I.

Quality comes from the dealerhip, no way round it IMHO, how many Thais do you think know the ins and out of such a prestige motor?

You have bitten the bullet and IMHO have to pay the price. I would love a Ferrarie but who can service it in CM?, without me having to take it all the way to Pattya (Ferma) to have it serviced.

Once you have a European Clasic car just expect to pay through the nose for EVERYTHING

Good Luck

TP

You should try to get in touch with a certain Khun Daychar.

He does the engine and transmission work on almost all the Chiangmai based classics. Don't know for the other works, but I think he does paint too...

I don't know where he is located in Chiangmai, but I can tell you that he is (or has recently been) making some works on a Mercedes owned by the President of the Mercedes Club of Thailand. He has a very good reputation.

You might find more information when speaking to the editor of Good Morning Chiangmai News, he knows him.

And, at the same time, ask him details about a future classic car event that will take place in November. You might be interested to join it.

Congratulation for your new (old) car anyway.

Thanks Gerry1011 & ThaiPauly for your input.

Gerry, I've emailed Khun Sivaphol Saengsangkom, Editor - Good Morning Chiang Mai News and hope that he can help me track down this Khun Daychar - he certainly sounds like 'the man'!

Any other input & suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Iang

Thanks Gerry1011 & ThaiPauly for your input.

Gerry, I've emailed Khun Sivaphol Saengsangkom, Editor - Good Morning Chiang Mai News and hope that he can help me track down this Khun Daychar - he certainly sounds like 'the man'!

Any other input & suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Iang

Oups... I am not sure you wrote to the right person.

The editor of the "Good Morning Chiangmai News" that I refered to is David.

You can reach him at [email protected]

I heard about a radio program called more or less the same, so I suspect that the person you mailed is from that radio. But nothing to do with classic car.

Send your mail again to David, he will certainly be happy to tell you more about this, since he is himself a passionate of old cars.

Cheers.

David is just the man to contact. I passed him on Saturday as he was interviewing the president of Thailand's Mercedes Owners and Classic Car Clubs, so he definitely knows the right people there!

The classic car run is being held from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai on Nov 26th and 27th. A good date for the diary :o

you will be lucky, although I wish you well, I think the Benz dealership (especially if you want to keep it pristine is your only option)

BTW I am DEAD jealous, but I speak what I know. In the UK I had a 320 a  2 year old CLK Cabriolet, that was 2,000 quid a pop to keep on the road, sorryI cant give you any more advice, perhaps there are more that can than I.

Quality comes from the dealerhip, no way round it IMHO, how many Thais do you think know the ins and out of such a prestige motor?

You have bitten the bullet and IMHO have to pay the price. I would love a Ferrarie but who can service it in CM?, without me having to take it all the way to Pattya (Ferma) to have it serviced.

Once you have a European Clasic car just expect to pay through the nose for EVERYTHING

Good Luck

TP

thaipauly you may be right about dealer service for newer models, like the one you owned, because they have all the fancy electronic diagnostic technology needed to service cars today. but for older cars dealers don't really have an advantage. in fact they may have less experience than a good independent shop. but even on new cars dealer service doesn't always guarantee quality.

regarding your comment "how many Thais do you think know the ins and out of such a prestige motor?": since you are a "super member" i'm sure you wouldn't want that remark to be misconstrued as condescending or worse to our hosts. as a super member, you must be aware that mercedes benz has a had a presence in thailand for fifty years, has an assembly plant here, that there is a nationwide mercedes enthusiasts' club, and that thailand is the second largest market for new mercedes-benz cars in asia. apparently there is quite a great number of Thais who know the ins and outs of such prestige motors! i'm sure that you didn't mean to condescend, but i think we would all do well by not underestimating thailand or thai people. just a thought.

Thanks gerry1011 & p1p.

I think I have to say a BIG "OOOPS"! And I was wonding why I hadn't received a reply!

I've now emailed David, the correct person at the correct 'Good Morning Chiang Mai News'! The classic car event from CM to CR in November sounds very interesting. Anyone know where I can find out any further info on this?