Long Term Accommodation

sandman81

I have just recently discovered this forum. Congratulations to those responsible for its establishment.

I have been a frequent visitor to Thailand over many years and Chiang Rai has been one of my favourite destinations. The time is approaching when I will be considering retirement and Chiang Rai is on the top of my list of possible venues.

I would be most grateful for any information on the price and availability of long term accommodation (either to buy or rent).

My preference would be for condo style accommodation in a central location in the city of Chiang Rai.

Thanks all in anticipation,

Sandman.

My preference would be for condo style accommodation in a central location in the city of Chiang Rai.

.... Mr. Sandman wrote.

It is recommendable NOT to try to solve this matter on forehand.

That approach is mostly accompagnied by a too high price-tag.

Don't buy out of a brochure or website. First buyers in housing projects pay many times at least 20 % too much, because they pay for the infrastructure as well.

There are good housing projects around Chiangrai, but you have to be here to notice the difference.

Rent first and take your time. Some hotels or guesthouses have good accommodation and, rented on a monthly base, hardly more expensive than the rent of an average house.

There is few condo style accommodation, at least when you are looking for something bigger than 36 square meters (the Condotel). And don't underestimate the noise in central Chiang Rai.

After a while you will have a motorbike or a car and a few kilometers outside won't make the difference then. For four to six thousand Baht you can rent a decent house on a decent location.

Don't ask tuktuk-drivers! A friend was driven out to a piece of land which was for sale. There another five tuktuks were waiting. They told that the land would be 16 million Baht. Later that evening the owner phoned and told that is was 10 million.

6 Tuktukdrivers, 6 million Baht commission!

When the time comes.... don't worry. There is no foreigner sleeping on the street (yet) in Chiangrai!

Limbo

Hello Limbo,

Thank you very much for your very prompt response. The inner city noise does not bother me as my present abode is very close to a very busy arterial road. I would anticipate buying a car when in permanent residence there but the convenience of being able to walk on a day to day basis to access most amenities (eg shops, banks, restaurants, bars etc) is a big plus for me.

I will certainly take your advice and rent for a time before finding permanent accommodation.

It seems, from what I have read on this board, that there are a few expat teachers in Chiang Rai. I have an MBA and some experience, albeit in the distant past, teaching at university level. I may be interested in teaching part time in a paid or unpaid position. Is this possible?

Thanks again and best wishes,

Sandman.

PS: IMHO the best pad pak to be had in Thailand is served at the restaurant on the right hand side as you enter the Big C carpark in Chiang Rai. The beer singh soda nam khang is also quite acceptable and the staff are very friendly and efficient.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

.... Mr. Sandman wrote.

It is recommendable NOT to try to solve this matter on forehand.

That approach is mostly accompagnied by a too high price-tag.

Don't buy out of a brochure or website. First buyers in housing projects pay many times at least 20 % too much, because they pay for the infrastructure as well.

There are good housing projects around Chiangrai, but you have to be here to notice the difference.

Rent first and take your time. Some hotels or guesthouses have good accommodation and, rented on a monthly base, hardly more expensive than the rent of an average house.

There is few condo style accommodation, at least when you are looking for something bigger than 36 square meters (the Condotel). And don't underestimate the noise in central Chiang Rai.

After a while you will have a motorbike or a car and a few kilometers outside won't make the difference then. For four to six thousand Baht you can rent a decent house on a decent location.

Don't ask tuktuk-drivers! A friend was driven out to a piece of land which was for sale. There another five tuktuks were waiting. They told that the land would be 16 million Baht. Later that evening the owner phoned and told that is was 10 million.

6 Tuktukdrivers, 6 million Baht commission!

When the time comes.... don't worry. There is no foreigner sleeping on the street (yet) in Chiangrai!

Limbo

This is not a reply but a request.

Anyone know of a 2 or 3 bedroom house, relatively New, for rent? I do not care about price as long as it is within reason. I no about Country Homes and not interested. It has gotten pretty well run down!

Presently living in a small town 40 KM north of Chiangrai and I am going 'Bunkers' - that's crazy for those that do not understand the other word!

Any help would be appreciated. PM me. Al