Landlord Want 3 Months Advance + 10000 Deposit

So i got a call today from the landlord of the apartment i am moving into this weekend. he wants 3 months in advance, plus deposit of 10000. its a 6 month contract, and the apartment only costs 6500 per month. so thats 29500 upfront.

Does this sound too high? At my last apartment i paid 2 months upfront plus a deposit equal to 1 months rent. so for this new place i was expecting 19500 upfront.

ok thanks texasranger.

there is also something strange about how he wants to give back the deposit. he said to pay rent every month except the last, then he gives back 23000 when i leave. so i'm paying 29500 upfront plus i still pay 6500 for 1st month.

Rent in total is Baht 39.000 for 6 months but he asks you to pay Baht 29.500 upfront before you have set one foot in the appartment.

So you paid already for 75% of the total sum.

Be assured that he could make problems about small things to be fixed when you want to move out and I advise:

1. don't do it and tell him you're off the hook

or

2. make a detailed movie or photos of EVERYTHING outside and inside the appartment and have him signed for it that he agrees with the state the appartment is in.

LaoPo

Your landlord is "broke" and needs the money probably to make the payments on your room, is my opinion

2month deposit and 1 month upfront is normal, 1 month deposit is not so common and I wouldnt accept it on my rooms , not enough to cover damages with 1 month.

Edited by travelmann

i'm guessing it's one of those thai one room apartments. the norm is to make a deposit in the value of 2 months rent (which is returned to you upon expiration of the contract) and one month upfront. for some reason in these places you pay for the coming month, and not at the end of the month.

• 4 weeks later...

Look for somewhere else.

Agreed.

One month in advance plus one month's deposit is reasonable

Don't give any more or you will be sorry.

Just read the thread 'Landlord won't return deposit' ......... 150k if you can believe that! (why would anyone give that big a deposit?)

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this, but I was told that (Thai property owner), Thailand has laws relating to rental deposits, number of months rent which can be demanded, etc. He said that the security/damage deposit could not exceed 1 months rent. Now he was talking about a non furnished house and that may have a bearing on what he passed on. Some people seem to want the customer to feel they are at the mercy of the property owner, but there does seem to be protection guidelines in place for both parties.

I do realestate in Pattaya...

We do one months rent in advance and one month sec. deposit. If you stay more than 6 months then you put 2 months sec. deposit, and one month rent. If you are getting a discounted rate then we require payment in full...or you could lose your deposit if you break the contract. We return the sec. deposit right at checkout...after we ALL read the meters for water and electric. We do the govt rate...by the bill and pro rate it.

We try to be fair...and do get a lot of customers because of it.

However the fact that I was out of rooms caused me to rent some additional rooms for other condo owners. We paid them in advance...and then sublease them. However here is the problem. I rented a condo for 2 months from a Thai Owner...we paid him in full until Jan 17, 2011. Four days after we moved in he decieded to kick us out. He brought police and all. I couldn't believe it. Even with my contract/reciept...he still did it. I still haven't gotten the 2 months advance payment back...and am at a loss at what to do about it.

If your gut is saying something is fishy...and would say find another place.

By the way I did file a police report that says he did not refund my money, and that HE broke the contract.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this, but I was told that (Thai property owner), Thailand has laws relating to rental deposits, number of months rent which can be demanded, etc. He said that the security/damage deposit could not exceed 1 months rent. Now he was talking about a non furnished house and that may have a bearing on what he passed on. Some people seem to want the customer to feel they are at the mercy of the property owner, but there does seem to be protection guidelines in place for both parties.

I didn't know that! We have just done what the locals did, but tried to make it fair for both sides.

Do you know where I can find a copy of the Thai rental laws? Thanks!

Actually the terms are pretty close.

I got asked to pay first month plus 2 months damage deposit plus 5000 electricity bond up front.

In the USA we ask for First month last month & one month rent as damage deposit. So similar terms.

Lots of these landlords write in the lease they will refund your deposit 30 or 40 days after you move out so that's a consideration.

I think there is something fishy with your lease.

Make a counter offer. Get it in writing.

Always paid two months deposit and one month rent in advance. However, I know lots of cases where owners have requested that the tenants do not pay rent for the last few months (just pay water, phone and elec) so when they move out the owner does not have to return the deposit. I am expecting that too when I move next year.

• 1 month later...

is this just in bangkok, or does it depend on how new or how big the apartment is to require so much up front?

In phuket (patong beach), I only saw 1500-2000 deposits for studio apartments. Only paid rent one month in advance. I stayed among Thai people. I could leave anytime I wanted. No contract, although I had them put on the first payment receipt how much per unit for water and electric. I remember the lady say "same for Thai people. No worry, we not cheat you." I don't make assumptions, especially after the incident I had with a previous guesthouse where the lady wanted to raise the rent, after some [thai] people complained that I was getting a cheaper rate. When I moved in, it was empty. But it was more full when I moved out. A "i don't need you anymore at that low rate I gave you earlier to help my empty guesthouse" attitude--one of my few negative experiences in Thailand.

Never understood in the whole contract thing. You just pay your up-front money and when you are ready to move on, just make your notice and subtract all the expenses when you move out. Contract or no contract, you should be netting out when you leave the remaining security deposit - utilities.

Edited by 4evermaat

I just agreed to rent a two bedroom house (partially furnished but junk furniture) for 5000bht a month.

Landlady wanted 10kbht up front (two months rent to get us started), after that runs out she wants 5kbht a month in advance.

I gave her the 10k and she gave me a 1 year contract, don't worry she says, you want to leave just let me know 1 month in advance when you pay the rent.

No deposit, just a minimum stay of 2 months. Worried as it seems too little!